Hello everyone

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby TripleS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Silk wrote:I find so called "interesting" roads to be interesting only in small doses. When you have to get somewhere and back in the same day, you want a road that's up to the task. That's why, although there are some nice places in Dorset, it's not somewhere I look forward to driving to/through due to its awful roads. Chasing limit points and constantly looking for overtaking opportunities that rarely materialise starts to get very tedious after the first 50 or so miles. Motorways are only as boring as you make them. If you take the trouble, they can be just as interesting as "interesting" roads. It just depends on how much interest you take, I suppose.

Living only a short distance from a major motorway intersection is the way to go if you want to get on with your life.

....and what exactly constitutes getting on with one's life? Mine seems to be going OK without the aid of motorways; and without making much use of the car either, for that matter.. :P
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:35 pm

revian wrote:
StressedDave wrote:
fungus wrote:SWMNBO and myself are off to Bellingham in Northumberland on the 26th of September for a weeks holiday. I'm not relishing the thought of the A31, M27, M3, A34, M40, M42, and M6, but the 400 mile journey woud take ages on interesting roads. I'll leave that until we get to Northumberland.

Why M6? Surely you're trying to get to the northeast rather than the northwest...

Can't get a visa for Yorkshire? Got to go around it...?
:wink:

Well we try to keep the riff raff out: they tend to lower the tone, dontcha know! :lol:
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:52 pm

We're off to the North West coast of Scotland next Saturday. We'll be using motorways and the dreaded A9, but we need to do the approx 600 miles in one day, so there ain't much choice! :)

Once there, we can start to enjoy the good roads.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby revian » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:56 pm

We're off to the Lakes District shortly.... Should be nice for the occasional drive... Though walking is the aim

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:10 am

TripleS wrote:
Well we try to keep the riff raff out

What about the riff-raff already there - do you keep those in?
Silk

Postby revian » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:13 am

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:
Well we try to keep the riff raff out

What about the riff-raff already there - do you keep those in?

No. I left decades ago.
Wirral
revian

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm

StressedDave wrote:
fungus wrote:SWMNBO and myself are off to Bellingham in Northumberland on the 26th of September for a weeks holiday. I'm not relishing the thought of the A31, M27, M3, A34, M40, M42, and M6, but the 400 mile journey woud take ages on interesting roads. I'll leave that until we get to Northumberland.

Why M6? Surely you're trying to get to the northeast rather than the northwest...

From where we are there's not much in it, twenty one miles more on the M6 using the M6 toll, but slightly less driving time according to Google maps.

I'll listen to Radio 2 for traffic updates, and if the M6 is bad I still have the option to change my mind whilst on the M42 and continue on to the A42 then M1.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to Introductions