Newbie from West Lothian/South Lanarkshire

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby sped691 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi all,

My name is Craig and I've been driving for 15 years (age 32). I've recently (last 3 months) developed an interest in advanced driving and learning more about it. Although I've been driving for 15 years I would say that relatively recently I've begun to notice some specific issues with my driving which I hope I could improve using advanced driving techiques. So far I've read Roadcraft and tried to implement some of the principles with varying degree's of success. Any advice on the best next/first step would be very much apprieciated.

Kind regards

Craig
sped691

Postby sussex2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:45 pm

That you have read Roacraft is more than a start!
Just ask away and I am sure you'll get advice.
Welcome
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby Advanced Driving » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Welcome Craig! Lots of people here happy to help you with your advanced driving journey! Website is being updated soon so keep an eye out for more info.

Thanks
Rob
Advanced Driving

Postby Gareth » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Craig,

sped691 wrote:Any advice on the best next/first step would be very much apprieciated.

Normally people get involved with a local IAM or RoADAR group, if one is conveniently close, as they are formed to help and support people who wish to take an advanced driving test. Although it is possible to prepare for, take and pass an advanced driving test without the help of a local group, it is probably easier and you are more likely to be successful if you take advantage of the help available.

If you chose the IAM, you'd purchase a Skill for Life course via their website and they'd put you in touch with your nearest group, but it is wise to check beforehand whether the IAM or RoADAR have local groups that are close enough to where you are. The nearest IAM group appear to be Lanarkshire but the link to their website didn't work for me. Look in the IAM group directory in case others are more convenient.

RoADAR split the costs into separate payments, so you'd need to join a local group, pay for a test, and join the main charity. The nearest local groups appear to be East Kilbride or Edinburgh & Lothian.

If more than one group is conveniently located then it doesn't really matter which organisation you choose.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby sped691 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:31 am

Thank you for the replies and the welcome! I've got in touch with the Forth Valley Group IAM. Really looking forward to getting started as it were.
sped691

Postby Bumblebee16 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi Craig
How are you finding the course?
Did you join the Skills for Life Course?
I am thinking of joining a local group and would be interested to hear your views.
Debbie
Bumblebee16

Return to Introductions