Teaching an old dog new tricks

A place for new members to introduce themselves and give some background information as to their experience with driving, likes, dislikes etc. It is advisable to post here first before posting to other forum's on the site.

Postby Bumblebee16 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi everyone
My name is Debbie and I passed my driving test almost 33 years ago.
I saw the poster in the test centre giving information about the Advanced Driving Test and at the time I said that I wanted to do that!
I have never got around to it, although 10 years ago I did think about a career change and started a Driving Instructor course. I passed the Part 1 test (Hazard Perception and Theory) and the Part 2 (practical driving test). However, I hated the Part 3 training and decided not to pursue that particular career path! The thought of having to go through the Part 3 test and to have to re-take it every couple of years made me realise that this was not the road I wanted to take after all (excuse the pun)! :oops:
The time has come again when I have been thinking about taking an Advanced Driving Test. The difference this time is that I am determined to go through with it!
When I took my last driving test, I was taught defensive driving and eco driving and I am confident that I still practise these skills for most of the time that I am driving. However, I have noticed that bad habits are starting to creep in and I am keen to nip these in the bud!
I have been looking at different organisations who offer training for the Advanced Driving Test and do not know which organisation to apply for. I would be interested to hear about any of your experiences. I live in West Sussex.
Thank you for accepting me into the group and for taking the time to read my introduction.
Debbie
Bumblebee16

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:39 am

Broadly, if you are time rich and money poor, you'd be looking at either the IAM or RoADAR.

For most practical purposes, they are much of a muchness, in that they exam based on the Police method of driving, as documented in the book Roadcraft, although the IAM have their own book that's based on it rather than directly using Roadcraft. The differences between observers for these organisations is often greater than the differences between the organisations.

Depending on exactly where you are in West Sussex, you might find the East Surrey IAM group are close enough; I know them to be a thriving active group with very enthusiastic members which, I think, counts for a lot. They have a website: http://eastsurreyiam.org/ if you want further information.

There is also a Sussex RoADAR group about which I know nothing, other than what is on their website: http://www.sussexrospa.org.uk/
Last edited by Gareth on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:11 am

Hi Gareth
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I purchased the Roadcraft book last night.
I had researched the IAM group for Worthing, but the East Surrey group is probably about the same distance from where I live, so I will look at their page, too and will make enquiries with both groups.
The RoADAR Sussex group looks interesting. They have meetings every couple of months with guest speakers. It seems very reasonable - £20 per year membership and free for under 25s. Perhaps I could persuade my husband and son to join with me!
Time to put this into action now!
Thanks again!
Debbie
Bumblebee16

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Bumblebee16 wrote:It seems very reasonable

I think the overall cost for RoADAR is lower but there are separate fees for local group membership, membership of the central RoADAR body, and for the test. On the other hand, the IAM charge a single fee to cover all three parts - that is, it includes the first year of membership of the selected local group and the central body.

In some ways, paying for the test in advance, (i.e. with the IAM), might give you a little extra incentive to actually take the test. I don't know the comparative drop-out rates for both organisations, so ultimately it might not make much difference.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Return to Introductions