Undertaken

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 7db » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Always easier to change lane / direction on the RAB --- particularly if you aren't going round with anyone else...
7db

Postby Jack Russell » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I still think 'undertaking' in lane 1 on approach is a blatant undertake, and personally I wouldn't do it but if someone else does it, and does it 'cleanly' then fine by me.

I guess that being trapped behind the lane 2 driver, and undertaken by a lane 1 driver, is a bit like being trapped behind traffic on a motorway or dual carriageway when you've been inattentive and failed to realise the traffic in front is slower and get trapped behind it rather that manage to move out and around it before other traffic from behind flows past and traps you for longer.

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Hi all

Just looked at J/Rs original post and would like to add my bit to this..

If you are intending to go straight on at the next r/bout the "convenient" lane is not lane 2 because at the next r/bout there are 3 lanes..1 left and 2 straight on/right (and no lanes marked on the r/bout) which to my untrained eye makes lane 1 the obvious choice...follow round first r/bout and then you are in the "correct" lane to go straight on at the next, no lane changes required therefore no hassle to other drivers or yourself.

Sorry guys lane 1 all the way if it were me (and obviously the guy who screams round the outside thinks the same) if that involves undertaking so be it, to me a r/bout counts as queing traffic

Ivor

Yes, you could be right, but I didn't 'google' it in advance. Perhaps I'll try a few approaches from both lane 1 and lane 2 and see which works better for me, but that will probably vary depending on the traffic density.

The most basic basic here is 'try not to go round with someone else'. I imagine we all 'try' and do this with a high amount of success but occasionally you just can't shake off someone besides you, in which case I’d be prepared to brake or move out the way if they drifted.

So that’s that sorted :D :D

'What about the previous roundabout with traffic lights that goes over the A41 and M1?' :twisted:
Regards JR
Jack Russell

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum