newbie help with cockpit drills and commentary

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby adey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:01 am

hello all

New to the forum

some brief information. i am 23, driving since September 2004, with no points on licence(ATM). have purchased Skill for Life and have had the introduction run and 2 proper observed runs with my observer. He has told me that my level/ability for somebody who has never had previous Advanced Driver training and only 2 runs is very good.

as the title suggests one of the areas I struggle with is the cockpit drill. sometimes i get some of the drills right but usually I miss many of them. I find it hard and frustrating at the moment because usually drills like this I pick up quickly, but I guess that after driving over 6 years without a reliable procedure drill i am struggling to change.

does anybody here have advice on ways to remember the drill or alternative methods to remember the drill. its just frustrating because the drill is the first item on a run and to start off badly annoys me.

also I am struggling on giving a commentary however this has improved from nothing before I started Advanced Driving to giving occasional remarks on run 1, to more remarks about road and signs on my last run. i guess that this will keep on improving the more practice I do. again any advice on commentary would be brilliant.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks

adey
59 plate Nissan Note
IAM Test Pass on 15th March 2011
IAM Member at Plymouth Advanced Motorists
adey

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:16 am

1. Perspective - cockpit drill is rarely critical unless you drive multiple vehicles or your vehicle is used by multiple drivers.

2. Make it real. When you finish driving move the seat, move the mirrors, mess up all your usual settings. Then when you do your drill it will be for real. There are a number of variations you could use. I go for Doors, seat, mirrors, seatbelt, controls/dials. Keep in mind that the point of doing this is mostly to be able to drive an unfamiliar vehicle safely.

In an unfamiliar vehicle I would include a few static gearchanges, testing the weight of pedals, throttle response, location of ancilliary controls etc, but not in my own car.
zadocbrown

Postby Custom24 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:21 pm

One possible problem with cockpit drill is that there are many variations on it, some being longer than others. Different Observers and Groups may be prescribing different ones.

Another way to look at zadoc's point is that on test, cockpit drill and commentary are both entirely optional. So any bits you do remember will gain you brownie points, rather than detracting from your score. If you find either of them are detracting from your drive, then don't do them on the test.

Have you seen the videos I did on these topics on YouTube? Search for Custom2212
Custom24

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm

A post-it note on the steering wheel can be a help! Also when you get a quiet moment (away from the car) close your eyes and visualise the routine - keep a checklist handy the first few occasions if you are still missing parts. I chose do one on my test and just about remembered the key parts. Although, as has been said, it is a bonus rather than requirement.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby daz6215 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Try the commentary from the passenger seat!
daz6215

Postby playtent » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi

Its not an exam, write the cockpit drill on a card, laminate it and stick it by the gear stick... Problem solved!

Keep up with the practice on the commentary and it will slowly start to take shape, it takes a while before you do it naturally! Then you'll never shut up!

Regards
playtent

Postby Astraist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:15 pm

I assume cockpit drills refer to seating and such... If so, I am going to "adopt" that terminology. :lol:

The problem with inheriting cockpit drills is that we perform them less frequently than actions we do while driving like observing. I find these aspects to have crucial importance and thereby compensate not by showing the student how to adjust the proper seating position in his own car, but rather go with him on HOW to create an effective driver enviornment, regardless of what car he is driving.

I achieve this by first reviewing the subject theoretically. Than, I show what to do and just as important -- what not to do (negative illustrations). We than move on to adjust the seating to the driver, and than REPEAT it a few times, evn though we have already found the proper position. The goal is for the student to understand how rather than just get to the result here and now.

Otherwise, the advice of using a note on the steering/dash/gear lever, etc...
Astraist

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 am

Astraist : From the point of view of RoSPA (and one assumes the IAM too as they share the basic 'Roadcraft' based core) their formal cockpit drill tends to be a general check, or acknowledgment of having checked, various aspects of the vehicle's condition and roadworthiness when going out on an 'observed' drive. For the benefit of the observer you reel off a list of checks. Mention is usually made of fluid levels, that all the lights work, checking for visible damage to the car and tyres, suitability of seating postion and mirror positions. You mention that all the correct warning lights show when turning on the ignition and that they go off when engine is started, and do a static brake test. I also make sure the passengers are wearing seatbelts and that doors are closed properly. I used to mention engine/drive/gearbox configurations as well as any safety aids the car may have. There seem to be a lot of variations between local groups as to exactly what detail to include, but the core things remain the same.

The general aim is to get in to the habit of making regular checks before driving. I doubt anybody does them so methodically in everyday life, unless they are driving a variety of different vehicles on a regular basis, as is perhaps the case for Police officers, which is why the checks were introduced in to Roadcraft.

No doubt others will mention things I have missed such as the availability of fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate bars and a large collection of CD's etc :wink:
Gromit37

Postby DugS » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 am

Hello and welcome,

My advice would be (IMHO) not to get too hung up about the cockpit drill. As most people on here would say it is not a mandatory part of the IAM test (if that is what you are doing). However it would be good to get in the habit of running through a simple checklist when you get in your car. It doesn't need to be a lengthy airplane style checklist and nor do you want to be talking for minutes and minutes. I follow this short list pretty much but it would be open to your interpretation.

We assume external checks have taken place.

1. When you get in the car go straight to the handbrake and just check the upward pressure on the lever. You do not need to tighten the brake unless it is loose but as you are adding weight to the car it is nice to know you are not going to start rolling off. (You can put your seatbelt on this stage as I do but there are differing opinions on when to put your seatbelt on. As long as you make sure you have it on before moving off you should be fine).

2. Sit in you seat and check you are comfortable. Check the position of your limbs in relation to controls and check your vision in the mirrors. Also make sure that any ancillary controls are off, such as air blower, lights, radio etc etc.

3. Before turning the ignition at all check your gearbox for a false neutral, with the clutch depressed, by selecting 3rd gear then 4th and then back into neutral.

4. With one hand on the wheel and the clutch depressed select the first position of ignition, do not turn the engine over yet. Most of your warning lights will come on and as the cars performs it's check most of these will then go out. At this stage you could also check the brake system by applying the brake pedal and releasing the handbrake - the brake warning light should go out. Reapply the handbrake.

5 With one hand still on the wheel and your foot still on the clutch start the engine. Your remaining warning lights should go out apart from the brake/handbrake light.

6. With proper all round observation you can then move off - indicating if nesscesary.

I have made this all sound more complicated than it really is. Each of the above checks only take a few seconds including talking through what you are doing. Everyones drill will be different and I welcome any comments on my list.

Regards the commentary I would say start off very simple. If you can do it from a passenger seat then this really helps. Start by naming roadsigns and identifying hazards. Keep your vision well up in the distance whilst working backwards towards yourself identifying the most important hazards first. Don't be too wordy for example when you are checking the mirrors just say 'mirrors'.

Also if you have a few quid to spare I would recommend watching the Chris Gilbert DVDs as these are an example of first class commentary. Youtube also has some very good videos on commentary.

For a final comment I would say try and get out for as much driving on top of you observed runs as possible. Even better go on some days with some advanced drivers and basically steal all of their best techniques and force them to do a commentary for you!
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 pm

One way to think about the cockpit drill is to consider what you need to know when you are about to drive an unfamiliar car -- for example a hire car at the start of a foreign holiday.

There are some safety items to check before you go any further, and you need to make sure you know the location and operation of various control before you use them. The major controls are obvious as you use them all the time when you are driving, but you need to know about minor controls as well. Examples of the latter might include how to operate the wipers and screen washer jet, or the heater controls in case the screen mists up while you are on the move. It'd be unsafe to be fumbling about trying to operate these controls while you're on the move, and you probably wouldn't want to stop to work out how to keep the windscreen clear. I remember one time when the driver needed to turn on the headlights at dusk but neither he nor I could work it out ... and this was while we were on the move on a mountain road with boulders sticking out of a stone wall on one side and a big drop on the other. Not good.

In addition to all that it is possible to learn a little about the car you are about to drive by including some simple tests. For example, it might be handy to know whether the car has vacuum assisted brakes or power steering. The brake pedal can be pumped a few times while testing the handbrake, as per DugS' comment, and it should harden as the residual vacuum is used up. When you start the car, if you keep your foot on the brake and press lightly against the steering wheel as if to cause a deflection, then as the vacuum is restored the brake pedal will go down further, and if there is power steering you might be able to feel the steering wheel give slightly as the power assistance comes into play.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Astraist » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Gromit37 wrote: Mention is usually made of fluid levels, that all the lights work, checking for visible damage to the car and tyres, suitability of seating postion and mirror positions. You mention that all the correct warning lights show when turning on the ignition and that they go off when engine is started, and do a static brake test. I also make sure the passengers are wearing seatbelts and that doors are closed properly. I used to mention engine/drive/gearbox configurations as well as any safety aids the car may have. There seem to be a lot of variations between local groups as to exactly what detail to include, but the core things remain the same.

For my part, and for what I instruct, the check begins with the tires: Checking them visually before ANY drive and checking the air pressure (with a personal pencil gauge) once every two weeks. A weekly check of fluids (gearbox, engine, power steering, brakes, coolant, wipers) and a carefully adjusted seating position and mirror alignment, as well as confirming that all passengers are seated properly and harnessed.

The importance of these subjects are neglected by the typical Israeli driver, and we as advanced driving trainers need to generate awareness to how crucial is the proper seating position, mirror alignment and tyre maintenance. I often receive students who drive on old, worn tyres and even the students that do check their tyres, have standards which we as trainers consider to be too loose.

We, for instance, generally instruct to replace tyres once every three years -- regardless of mileage, due to the toll that the Israeli weather places on tyres. Most students don't reckon the significance of tyre aging and drive on old, dried tyres while some of them, who do acknowledge that tyres must be replaced periodically -- perform the swap only once every four years or so, driving for over a year with tyres that have typically lost more than 50% of their abilities!
Astraist

Postby playtent » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:49 pm

The cockpit drill as I understand was aimed at Police drivers through Roadcraft. Driving your own car every day would negate a fair amount of the cockpit drill. Driving a Police car every day would require moving the seat, mirrors, checking controls as although you may drive the same vehicle, someone else has always used it in between.
You may not drive the same model of vehicle so may need to familiarise yourself with the e controls. It’s in your own interests to check the vehicle over for damage to tyres, do a moving brake test etc.
I can't really see much of a point in doing it on your own car?

Regards
playtent

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 pm

playtent wrote:I can't really see much of a point in doing it on your own car?

Habit, practice, and the knowledge of what you should do.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:09 am

Hi adey,

Most things will come naturally with practise and repetition so like the others say, dont stress too much.

On a personal note I used to deliver new vehicles and some days would be in 6 or 7 different vehicles, both right and left hand drive, THATS when your cockpit drill becomes important because its amazing how many different positions various manufacturers can place switches and minor controls, its no good finding out on the motorway that the wiper switch is out of sight behind the steering wheel!!

I do agree though that it is good to get a "feel" of any strange vehicle before moving, even when stationary you can tell if the gearchange is sticky or stiff, how heavy the clutch pedal is etc etc, all this is aimed at getting comfortable and as I have probably said before, a comfortable driver is a safer driver.

I have told my family that when I am old and grey if I ever get behind the wheel in a big winter coat, hat and gloves
that will be the time to throw my car keys away!!

Have fun
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby brianhaddon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 am

playtent wrote:I can't really see much of a point in doing it on your own car?
Regards

Yes, in principle, a lot of does seem unnecessary for continual use in your own car. However, I would say for the test situation a good cockpit check sets the scene for the drive ahead. An examiner from one of the AD organisations who I know told me he could predict the sort of drive he would get from the cockpit check quite accurately.
And for everyday driving I still think it is good to go through some form of routine checking for such things as a clear path, doors closed, glass clean, etc. It is good disciplne. Many years ago an ex-neighbour of mine jumped into his car to reverse off his drive and drove over his son's pushbike! The lad had arrived home and jumped off the bike allowing it to fall under the back of the car!
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum