Night time courtesy

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby javagreen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Hello everyone,
I wonder what your views are on this subject:- Quite often when driving at night when one car gives way to another one is left in a dilemma as to the best way to acknowledge the courtesy shown. Does one flash and risk dazzle ,or do nothing and risk the other driver fuming on the 'ignorance of drivers these days'. In a recent CSMA magazine a suggestion was that 'dipping down'. i.e. from dipped to side light, briefly, was preferable to 'dipping up' (if one can do such a thing!!) i.e. dipped to mainbeam briefly, to acknowledge courtesy. I have tried and now use the 'dipping down', and if nothing else, have the small satisfaction that another drivers thoughtful action has not gone unacknowledged. What do you think?
javagreen

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi,

Personally as I do a lot of night driving, I find a quick push on the "hazard" lights to be an adequate and visible acknowledgement to other road users.

On the same theme I get really annoyed if after I have obviously given way to someone, they then drive through the gap or whatever and totally ignore me :evil:

One finger off the wheel is all it takes or a quick nod of the head, when did some people become so wrapped up in their own world that others do not exist?

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 pm

When threads collide . . .

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3291
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes but did they acknowledge each other :D
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby javagreen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi 'Ivorthedriver',
That's an interesting alternative to use the 'hazard' light. I may well try that next time. Perhaps I should maintain a Zen-like calm at all times, but I also use a couple of flashes of the 'hazard' lights when a car is driving so close behind me I almost feel I know their clothes size!!
javagreen

Postby Angus » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:57 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:
Personally as I do a lot of night driving, I find a quick push on the "hazard" lights to be an adequate and visible acknowledgement to other road users.

Whilst any acknowledgement is a good thing, am I alone in finding indicators hard to see against the headlights on many modern cars? or where the brake lights surround the indicators on the current crop of VWs?
Angus

Postby Ancient » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:09 pm

No you are not alone in finding it difficult to see other lights beside Xenons and there is very good reason why this is. See this article for some explanations http://www.driving.org/campaigns/daytime-running-lights

If you agree with the argument put forward at the DIA site this is a petition asking for control of over-bright lights and against DRLs for (amongst others) the reasons highlighted by DIA: http://www.lightmare.org/

Edit, oh and keeping this on topic, I do 'dip down' to sidelights to acknowledge, rather than risking dazzle with main beam. I also switch to sidelights when appropriate on lit streets and when stopping to give way on narrow country lanes - so that the driver is able to see past my headlight dazzle.
Ancient

Postby dth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Ancient wrote:I do 'dip down' to sidelights to acknowledge, rather than risking dazzle with main beam. I also switch to sidelights when appropriate on lit streets and when stopping to give way on narrow country lanes - so that the driver is able to see past my headlight dazzle.

I think both of those techniques are good ones to have in the box. Using hazard lights is illegal in those circumstances so I wouldn't recommend that.
Life is not black and white - neither is driving.
dth

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm

dth wrote: Using hazard lights is illegal in those circumstances so I wouldn't recommend that.

Hi,

Illegal maybe but a useful and safe alternative and perfectly easy to recognise as such. Witness lorries passing each other, passed vehicle "flashes" headlights to say "you are safe to pull in" (again in theory illegal) passing vehicle gives quick hazard light flash to say "thankyou"...easy, quick, courteous, safe and makes good use of a switch that most drivers misuse constantly by double parking, parking in bus stops etc where they think hazard lights make it ok!
Also if your head lights are correctly set you will never dazzle oncoming cars anyway so why turn them off?

Just my untrained view :)

Ivor
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby dth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:
dth wrote: Using hazard lights is illegal in those circumstances so I wouldn't recommend that.

Hi,

Illegal maybe but a useful and safe alternative and perfectly easy to recognise as such. Witness lorries passing each other, passed vehicle "flashes" headlights to say "you are safe to pull in" (again in theory illegal) passing vehicle gives quick hazard light flash to say "thankyou"...easy, quick, courteous, safe and makes good use of a switch that most drivers misuse constantly by double parking, parking in bus stops etc where they think hazard lights make it ok!
Also if your head lights are correctly set you will never dazzle oncoming cars anyway so why turn them off?

Ivor

Untrained, maybe, but full of sense! :D
dth

Postby morsing » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 pm

dth wrote:Using hazard lights is illegal in those circumstances so I wouldn't recommend that.

So is flashing...
morsing

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:00 pm

So, some suggest a new form of courtesy?, not that any form is officially recognised.
Perhaps we need an official form?
For day and night.
Of course, it might be that the authorities in charge are, as usual, behind the curve.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby dth » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 am

morsing wrote:
dth wrote:Using hazard lights is illegal in those circumstances so I wouldn't recommend that.

So is flashing...

Not illegal!!
dth

Postby DugS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:53 pm

this is actually something I have been thinking about quite a bit.

I like the idea of dipping your lights as a thank you rather than flashing full beam. However in my car at least (Ford Focus) there are certain factors to think about. To dip the lights I have to take my hand off the wheel and reach over to the right of the steering wheel and twist the light knob left then right, I can find this pretty easily but sometimes it can take a lot longer than just giving a flash. If I was to use a hazard flash then again I have to take my left hand off the wheel and push the hazard switch in the centre console. To give a flash of the headlights I can just extend my fingers on my left hand and keep both hands on the wheel.

Now I can drive with one hand on the wheel but of the three options listed above which is safer?

How about a forth option which is to give a quick left right left indicate like you see truck drivers do if you let them out on the motorway.
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby Ancient » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:40 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:

Hi,

Ivor

Not necessarily true, dips in the road, brow of a hill, bends - all times when properly adjusted headlights can dazzle other drivers ... then there are the 'floating' xenon lights which are supposed to react to these (but always react retrospectively) and are far too bright even at their peripheries.
Ancient

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum