Roundabout lane discipline

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby drm567 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 pm

On another forum that I subscribe to there is a lot of huffing and puffing about roundabout lane disciple. It seems that some of the members there feel that you should always drive round a roundabout in lane and that it is lazy driving to do otherwise. I don't agree and think that if your intended path is effectively a straight line and if it safe to do so there is nothing wrong with straightlining effectively taking the line of least resistance and minimising wear on tyres and suspension. What do other members (especially anyone who regularly drives in Milton Keynes!) think?

David
drm567

Postby dombooth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

If it's safe to do so and there's no-one about then why not. :)

Although it also depends if it's light controlled and you could get 'stuck' in the wrong lane if the lights change.

Milton Keynes is an exception though, always go round the roundabouts there, it's the only bends/corners they have!! Only driven there once to and from Bletchley Park, most boring place to drive I've found.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm

I will straighten a roundabout if safe, but I'm aware of what other drivers might think if lanes are marked on the roundabout although I would still do it if I thought that it wouldn't upset another driver, just as I would straighten a bend if an oncoming driver was not going to enter that space whilst I was off side. The position of my IAM group differs from mine in that they do not condone straightening if there is a white line in the centre.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby drm567 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:23 pm

fungus wrote:if lanes are marked on the roundabout

Good point, of course I would take account of whether the lane marking is advisory or not.
fungus wrote:I would straighten a bend if an oncoming driver was not going to enter that space

Many years ago, on an Advanced driving course, I was encouraged to do this, nowadays I believe the advice is not to go to the offside of the centre line.

David
drm567

Postby drm567 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm

chriskay wrote:I can't subscribe to any system/rule which says that a bit of paint turns a safe situation into a dangerous one. I do, of course, conform with paint which indicates a mandatory rule but otherwise I'll use my judgement.

Of course I could get started on mini roundabouts, which I think should be regarded as just a patch of paint to be used as a guidance, not as something to avoid touching at all costs!

David
drm567

Postby TripleS » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby michael769 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 pm

It is an offence to disobey a mini roundabout. (Road traffic act Sec 36, TSRGD Reg 10, 16). The offence is not endorsable.

I have encountered two people charged with contravening the restriction so it is enforced at least on occasion.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby jont » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm

mefoster wrote:
drm567 wrote:

Good point, of course I would take account of whether the lane marking is advisory or not.

When are roundabout lane markings advisory and when are they mandatory?

And what if it's not a roundabout but a traffic light controlled junction (or whatever the correct nomenclature is :roll: ) - don't most "roundabouts" with multi-lane markings have liberal sprinklings of traffic lights? I can't think of any offhand that have marked lanes around the junction (rather than just on entry) but no lights.
jont

Postby fungus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 pm

mefoster wrote:
drm567 wrote:

When are roundabout lane markings advisory and when are they mandatory?

It is my understanding that lane markings are mandatory if the direction arrow is backed up by the wording ONLY, otherwise they are advisory. However I would imagine you would have problems if you went against the direction arrows and had an accident.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Gareth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 pm

drm567 wrote:
chriskay wrote:I can't subscribe to any system/rule which says that a bit of paint turns a safe situation into a dangerous one. I do, of course, conform with paint which indicates a mandatory rule but otherwise I'll use my judgement.

Of course I could get started on mini roundabouts, which I think should be regarded as just a patch of paint to be used as a guidance, not as something to avoid touching at all costs!

I had an extended discussion on uk.transport in March-April '97, (or rather, argument, as my debating style was even worse then). I was asserting that mini-roundabouts only denoted order of use and that any path through the junction was OK, (based on comments from serving traffic officers at RoSPA lectures), to much derision from the uk.transport regulars. Eventually someone a reference to clarify this issue, by saying ...
it is now an offence to drive over a mini-roundabout and a notice of intended prosecution can be served for so doing.

This new regulation came into operation on 1 September 1994.

Information about this is contained in a large document entitled 'Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1994'. The reference to mini-roundabouts deals with Section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, section 1, schedule 1, regulation 10.

At the time of the discussion the Highway Code hadn't been updated to provide clear guidance about this.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby michael769 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 pm

fungus wrote:
It is my understanding that lane markings are mandatory if the direction arrow is backed up by the wording ONLY, otherwise they are advisory. However I would imagine you would have problems if you went against the direction arrows and had an accident.

There are no relevant diagrams in TSRGD that create regulatory lane markings (other than double white lines of course!)

Translation: lane markings are not mandatory anywhere irrespective of the use of the word ONLY which is used to advise of the existence of traffic restriction on exit from the junction.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TripleS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:03 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby dombooth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 am

If its flat I don't mind going over it if I have to, if its a lump ill try my best to go round it!

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby drm567 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 am

mefoster wrote:When are roundabout lane markings advisory and when are they mandatory?

michael769 wrote:There are no relevant diagrams in TSRGD that create regulatory lane markings (other than double white lines of course!)

I'm thinking of lane markings in the approach to the roundabout. Have a look at page 9 of this http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@travel/documents/digitalasset/dg_192269.pdf and schedule 6 of TSRGD shows them as mandatory as well. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/schedule/6/made about 2/3 of the way down.

Edit, and with regard to trying to avoid the white circle, try going straight ahead at this close to where I live. Apart from anything it's a mini being used as a traffic calming measure which I understand is not recommended. [Citation needed]

David
drm567

Postby MGF » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:01 am

chriskay wrote:We agreed that the situation was stupid; either the manoeuvre was safe, or it wasn't.

You examiner might be in a position to judge whether or not the manoeuvre was safe but those who create the traffic orders cannot assume the same. I don't agree that straightlining a series of bends is necessarily safe or unsafe. It usually depends on the circumstances.
MGF

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum