Span 180 degrees today

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby crr003 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 am

James wrote:Have missed lot of the the last posts.

Whats hinting?

Could have sworn there was another post but it's gone now.....

Have a look here
crr003

Postby MikeG » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 am

James wrote:Whats hinting?

Have a look :arrow: here

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby Red Herring » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:33 am

StressedDave wrote:
Red Herring wrote:Should we start another thread to expand on that because it's a pretty bold statement.

If you like...

Red Herring wrote:I would have thought keeping the balance on a vehicle going into a corner would be pretty high on a police drivers list of priorities and would be fairly surprised if their training had a tendency to not encourage this. What would be the possible advantage to not "hinting" that encourages police instructors not to train it?

I'm, talking about a tiny variation between Police trained drivers and the rest - a more positive initial steering at a higher rate than most that momentarily reduces the stability of the vehicle they're driving. In most circumstances this lowering of stability improves turn-in but in marginal conditions (and to be fair, I've yet to spend much time with Police officers in such conditions to know whether this style of steering carries through) increase the risk of loc.

Why don't Police driving schools teach hinting - I can think of a couple of reasons: 1. NIH - and given that their system works admirably, why should they change it? and 2. Given the pressure on driving schools in terms of teaching time, there are far more important things to get down pat in the limited time they have.

I'm not sure how much experience you do have of police drivers but your explanation has not convinced me your observation was justified. "Given that their system works admirably" rather contradicts the suggestion that it by nature introduces instability in the vehicle. (By the way, what is "NIH"). I've always thought the police driving style to be pretty smooth.
If Police driving schools who are arguably the "best" driving schools don't teach hinting then one might have to question it's relevance to road driving. I can understand the explanation given by Don Palmer and see it's importance when operating on the extremes of any limit, but those are areas that police drivers should not be getting into, indeed they are actively encouraged not to as it leaves nothing in reserve.
Red Herring

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:14 am

'Hinting' or 'pre-loading' is taught.

They are taught to take up slack in all vehicle inputs, not just steering.

NIH (Not Invented Here).
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 am

I still don't understand cornering.

My preference is still for a smooth style, rather than the application of substantial amounts of power, and I certainly don't like anything that looks like a 'point and squirt' approach to it - well certainly not for my own use, though I can appreciate that P & S makes things more interesting.

This might be quite wrong, but it's what suits me, and my passengers - apart from those who like to see things done by the book.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Red Herring » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi StressedDave.
I have to concede I don't have your analytical expertise but I've never seen any evidence to suggest a common tendency in police drivers to steer in this way. I'm reassured by Von's assurance that "Hinting" is taught, although I'd not heard it called that before. My experience has always been that inputs should be smooth and progress should be maintained with good observation, and good planning, rather than throwing the vehicle around and approaching any dynamic limits. I appreciate there may always be occasion when a mistake is made and something is done late and in a hurry (read panic), and in these circumstances I can understand how an instability, followed by a loss of control, could result, but I would suggest the cause of the crash (which you then investigated) was the original mistake, rather than the effort to correct it. As far as I am aware very little police training involves controlling a vehicle on it's limit. Far more effort is put into learning to read the road and traffic, and developing sound hazard perception and management so that everything is considered and planned for.
The secret to good road driving it seems is to avoid getting into the kind of circumstance where exceptional handling skills are needed, but I agree that if they are possessed they may help recover from a mistake.
Red Herring

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum