Preparing for IAM test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby jont » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 pm

ROG wrote:Fixed input steering is fine as long as no hand goes passed the 12 o clock position - that is the general (but not fixed) rule for road driving according to the IAM

/efa
jont

Postby gannet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:56 pm

OP - Congrats :D

jont wrote:
ROG wrote:Fixed input steering is fine as long as no hand goes passed the 12 o clock position - that is the general (but not fixed) rule for road driving according to the IAM

/efa

I think the IAM is currently looking exclusively for Pull-Push...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm

ROG wrote:
adey wrote:on one or two occasions during the rural drive i went through a corner where i didnt pull push. both arms stayed at 10 - 2 rather than pull push. i

Fixed input steering is fine as long as no hand goes passed the 12 o clock position - that is the general (but not fixed) rule for road driving

a. Why not past '12'? Sort of defeats the object . . .
b. Not much of a rule, then ;) :D

NB Please don't use the 'airbag defence', because I plan ahead far enough not to use an arm across the wheel in situations where a head-on impact is possibe ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

gannet wrote: I think the IAM is currently looking exclusively for Pull-Push...

When Threads Collide . . .

So much for using police as examiners when 'fixed input' is covered in Roadcraft . . . The edition I've just checked includes 'rotational' aswell as fixed input, both with arms across the wheel. :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby hir » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:43 pm

adey wrote:on one or two occasions during the rural drive i went through a corner where i didnt pull push. both arms stayed at 10 - 2 rather than pull push. i would guess that arms were probably at about 12 and 5

Many thanks. This is a common criticism from some examiners.

I'm an advocate of fixed input steering, up to the 12<>6 position, ie not past 12 O'clock. If you want to use fixed input in the circumstances you describe I suggest try holding the wheel at quarter to three instead of ten to two. If your hands are at “ten to two” when trying fixed input steering you will find that your hands are not moving symmetrically and you have limited leverage compared with the hands at a “quarter to three”. In addition, if you use “ten to two” in sharper bends you can end up with both hands pointing in the direction of the turn, which feels very awkward. I have found that the fixed input steering technique is much more easily executed with the hands at a “quarter to three”; the hands are directly opposite each other and are “equal and opposite” in their movement and this allows for maximum leverage and steering feedback.

Hope this helps.
hir

Postby ROG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:35 pm

My apolgies for starting yet another discussion on steering and for it leading this post off topic

Perhaps we should continue the steering discussion elsewhere?

Congrats again on your IAM advanced driving test pass :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Well done Adey :D
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby oxtondriver » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Well done Adey, Glad your test went well :P
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby TripleS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:38 pm

gannet wrote:OP - Congrats :D

jont wrote:

/efa

....in which case it deserves to be disappointed. Nobody needs to be doing anything exclusively. Are they trying to boost the number of advanced drivers, or automatons?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby hir » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 pm

gannet wrote:

The IAM might be looking for it but, if it doesn't find it used exclusively, and the test candidate at all times is able to demonstrate full control of the vehicle, where the steering inputs are smooth, flowing and accurate, then, in my experience, the examiner will always accept fixed input, albeit grudgingly, provided the arms are not crossed. The examiner might comment on the lack of exclusive use of pull-push as a debrief point but, provided the steering inputs are smooth, flowing and accurate, any criticism is usually a bit muted.
hir

Postby gannet » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I agree whole-heartedly :D

just merely pointing out what the IAM are trying to do...

doesn't mean I agree with it :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby redrobo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Horse wrote:
ROG wrote:
adey wrote:on one or two occasions during the rural drive i went through a corner where i didnt pull push. both arms stayed at 10 - 2 rather than pull push. i

Fixed input steering is fine as long as no hand goes passed the 12 o clock position - that is the general (but not fixed) rule for road driving

a. Why not past '12'? Sort of defeats the object . . .
b. Not much of a rule, then ;) :D

NB Please don't use the 'airbag defence', because I plan ahead far enough not to use an arm across the wheel in situations where a head-on impact is possibe ;)

Balance
redrobo

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:33 pm

redrobo wrote:
Horse wrote:
ROG wrote:

a. Why not past '12')

Balance

OK, but how often is that important in everday driving - such as the OP's test?

By what I see of the average driver they manage by balancing one arm on the door arm rest . . .
Horse

Postby hir » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:23 am

gannet wrote:I agree whole-heartedly :D

just merely pointing out what the IAM are trying to do...

doesn't mean I agree with it :D

Thanks for that.

My posting was intended as a bit of a counter to Dave's weighty posting of...

"....in which case it deserves to be disappointed. Nobody needs to be doing anything exclusively. Are they trying to boost the number of advanced drivers, or automatons?"

My own experience has been that whatever anybody, whether or not an official of the IAM or RoADAR, says about all the myriad of driving and steering techniques supposedly required of test candidates, the reality is that provided the drive is Safe, Systematic, Smooth, at an appropriare Speed and is Legal then the examiners are more than happy to award a pass grade. And, no, the examiners are never so dogmatic as to regard non-exclusive use of pull-push, in itself, as failure to demonstrate one or more of the 4's. They might have a niggle about it, as I posted earlier, but it's never been a pass or fail issue.
hir

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Oh, I didn't realise I was doing weighty postings. :shock:

Anyhow, see if you can manage without me for a few days, as tomorrow morning we're off to Lakeland for a short break. My normal ratty and generally ill-considered contributions should be restored next Tuesday. :P

In the meantime be sure to visit my website:

http://www.mindblowingsexforwrinklies.co.uk

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum