Heated windscreens

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Singvogel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 pm

jamei wrote:It's an 08-11 Focus. But I guess all such windscreens are much of a muchness, being based on the same patented technology?

There are quite a variation between manufactures - the German ones on BMWs seem to be best i.e. least noticeable, with the replacement ones from Autoglass made by Pilkington having the 'cobweb' effect.

Either way my eyes are focused way past the windscreen and never notice any thing once I set off.
22 years Humanitarian Aid Convoy Leader

BMW 320D M-Sport
BMW 528i
Freelander TD4
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
Singvogel

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Has a heated screen several years ago on a Ford Galaxy. It was excellent on cold mornings, and I never really saw the wires unless I focussed on them.

However, I did have a distraction with regular vertical lines, such as railings on a bridge. Difficult to explain, but you know when you approach a bridge and you can see the railings on both side making strange, moving patterns as the angles between the uprights changed. I occasionally noticed that pattern when approaching a single set of railings as the wires in the screen interacted with the uprights - and of course one set was out of focus, making it more distracting...
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum