Mirror aids - when parking

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Astraist » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:45 pm

We agree that driving is a dynamic issue: The conditions are not constant and the different elements have to suit the conditions. I change everything, including tire pressures, driving posture and mirror alignment to suit the conditions. When I have to drive down a motorway for a sustained period of time, I will adjust a more relaxed posture, where in towns I would be closer to the pedals.

My mirror alignment on the road is aligned with the horizon and adjusted out to give a good view at the next lanes, where in parking manuevers I adjust it down at the curb and "inside" towards the body of my own car. Can it get more simple than this?
Astraist

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Why do your arms and legs suddenly get shorter when you drive in town and then suddenly get longer on the motorway :?:
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby fungus » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:34 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Why do your arms and legs suddenly get shorter when you drive in town and then suddenly get longer on the motorway :?:

That thought crossed my mind.

Back to mirrors. I find that a blind spot mirror on the N/S showing the rear wheel and some tarmac just behind the car and a foot or so to the left makes parking easy without the need to adjust the N/S door mirror
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Astraist » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Why do your arms and legs suddenly get shorter when you drive in town and then suddenly get longer on the motorway :?:

If I am setting out to drive for a sustained period of time on a motorway or dual-carriagway or any road where changes of speed and position are not going to be as constant, it's quite possible and reasonable to bring the seat's base one "step" back while bringing the wheel closer, to achieve a posture which does not feel as "stuffy" for the feet, while still keeping all controls perfectly reachable. If the latter condition cannot be achieved in a specific car, than I would maintain the "general purpose" posture.

I would also lower the steering height slightly to achieve a more relaxed static grip of the wheel (assuming dramatic amplitudes to be unnecessary). On the other hand, for performance driving purposes (track days, winding roads, etc...) I would bring the seat one step closer than my normal posture, as well as bring the seat lower and tighten the seatbelt as if it were a harness.

It's matter of flexibility relative to the conditions, as well as personal preferences, so long as the cardinal safety aspects are dealt with seriously.
Astraist

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum