The test!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ROG » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Zebedee wrote:So how are you supposed to know about overtaking (e.g. 3-stage overtaking, forward planning, etc)? I put this down to your Observer. Even if no overtaking opportunities presented themselves during your observed drives, I would have hoped a decent Observer would have covered how to plan overtakes ... Or am I overly optimistic?

I always engage in a conversation on this especially if none was done on a SC and I expect most good observers will do the same
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby morsing » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 pm

ROG wrote:
Zebedee wrote:So how are you supposed to know about overtaking (e.g. 3-stage overtaking, forward planning, etc)? I put this down to your Observer. Even if no overtaking opportunities presented themselves during your observed drives, I would have hoped a decent Observer would have covered how to plan overtakes ... Or am I overly optimistic?

I always engage in a conversation on this especially if none was done on a SC and I expect most good observers will do the same

It was never brought up by my observer...
morsing

Postby crr003 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

morsing wrote:
ROG wrote:

That's not good. The theory should be covered.
When you read the IAM book, did you understand the section on overtaking and feel it unnecessary to ask the Observer about it?
crr003

Postby morsing » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 pm

crr003 wrote:When you read the IAM book, did you understand the section on overtaking and feel it unnecessary to ask the Observer about it?

My biggest weakness in life is reading stuff I find boring. As much as advanced driving interests me, that book just is incredibly boring!

I only just managed to get to the end of chapter two last night, so that has taken me eight months to read! It will take me at least a year to finish...
morsing

Postby crr003 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:14 pm

morsing wrote:
crr003 wrote:When you read the IAM book, did you understand the section on overtaking and feel it unnecessary to ask the Observer about it?

My biggest weakness in life is reading stuff I find boring. As much as advanced driving interests me, that book just is incredibly boring!

I only just managed to get to the end of chapter two last night, so that has taken me eight months to read! It will take me at least a year to finish...

Ah! :mrgreen:
crr003

Postby GJD » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:16 pm

morsing wrote:
ROG wrote:I always engage in a conversation on this especially if none was done on a SC and I expect most good observers will do the same

You said one of the things you might look at next is IAM F1RST. If you do more observed drives with that in mind, I think it would definitely be worth discussing overtaking with the observer. Even if the opportunity to actually overtake doesn't come up, I think you can still practice the preparation - the observation and planning, trying to identify potential opportunities early, deciding whether they really are opportunities or not - without ever actually overtaking anything.
GJD

Postby Andy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:58 pm

martine wrote:Well done morsing! Onwards and upwards...what's next? :D

Onwards and upwards might involve training for the RoSPA Advanced Test?

Many RoSPA Tutors will give you suficient training to get you to a very high standard, in pursuit of a Gold grade test result. Broadly speaking, this would equate to you getting virtually all 1's on your IAM test report.

[lights age-old blue touch paper and stands well back :P ]
Andy Stoll
Advanced Motorcycle Instructor
Derbyshire Advanced Rider Training
Andy

Postby morsing » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:05 pm

I have considered RoSPA for one to get another tutor's perspective and input.
morsing

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum