Change Up Indicator

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:58 am

waremark wrote:I have experienced both in modern automatics and cars with change up indicators that the manufacturers think the most economical rev regime is between 1,200 and 1,600.

I'm not sure it's directly for reasons of economy but directly to get as low a CO2 figure as possible in the standard tests. It's as if car design, in a number of areas, is being taken down a path to meet targets rather than to make a nice car to drive.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 am

foxtrot_mike wrote:I think if i abided by it i would be up and down the gearbox like a fiddlers elbow.

And im sure that, over the longer duration would use more fuel.

The light only probably gives the light to change based the economy at the current moment, it cant plan for the future

Same thing with LGVs and SAFED
SAFED and AD do not really go together but saying that neither are exclusive of each other

AD has been designed for safety
SAFED has been designed for ecomony
As long as safety is always put first then economy can be considered

What often happens is that SAFED instructors put economy first every time - I know as I have been in a truck cab with a couple of them
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:56 am

Gareth wrote:I'm not sure it's directly for reasons of economy but directly to get as low a CO2 figure as possible in the standard tests. It's as if car design, in a number of areas, is being taken down a path to meet targets rather than to make a nice car to drive.

Nothing new there. It's been taken down the marketing path (looks/"sportiness" at the expense of ride/handling) for years, so why should it be a surprise that if market demand is now for low car tax manufacturers are following that demand?
jont

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:25 pm

My car has a quite useful Change Up Indicator, but it doesn't involve any flashing lights. When it shows the engine speed has risen to 2000/2500 rpm, I sometimes change up - if it suits me. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I drove a coutesy car yesterday that had this...it was a 1.6 diesel Fiesta 'Econetic'. The 'change up' arrow would appear at anything above 1700 rpm...arrrgghh. It didn't feel happy...and neither was I - so I after having a play, I quietly ignored it. :evil:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:31 pm

martine wrote:I drove a courtesy car yesterday that had this...it was a 1.6 diesel Fiesta 'Econetic'. The 'change up' arrow would appear at anything above 1700 rpm...arrrgghh. It didn't feel happy...and neither was I - so I after having a play, I quietly ignored it. :evil:

That's the spirit, Martin. When you've been driving a year or two you don't need all this newfangled crap telling you how to do it. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 pm

TripleS wrote:
martine wrote:I drove a courtesy car yesterday that had this...it was a 1.6 diesel Fiesta 'Econetic'. The 'change up' arrow would appear at anything above 1700 rpm...arrrgghh. It didn't feel happy...and neither was I - so I after having a play, I quietly ignored it. :evil:

That's the spirit, Martin. When you've been driving a year or two you don't need all this newfangled crap telling you how to do it. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

:D :D :D
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MGF » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:45 pm

TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

A bit like AD... :wink:
MGF

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:37 pm

MGF wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

A bit like AD... :wink:

:lol: I think I'm being got at slightly......in the nicest possible way though.

I do sometimes have a bit of a problem with being told what to do by human beings, but I'm damned if I'm putting up with it from machines and gadgets. You can at least discuss things and try to reach an understanding with some people - even AD enthusiasts. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 pm

TripleS wrote:I do sometimes have a bit of a problem with being told what to do by human beings, but I'm damned if I'm putting up with it from machines and gadgets. You can at least discuss things and try to reach an understanding with some people - even AD enthusiasts.

Best wishes all,
Dave

Here, Here,

Don't we already have change up indicators that also serve as change down indicators? I believe they're called ears.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 am

Gareth wrote:
waremark wrote:I have experienced both in modern automatics and cars with change up indicators that the manufacturers think the most economical rev regime is between 1,200 and 1,600.

I'm not sure it's directly for reasons of economy but directly to get as low a CO2 figure as possible in the standard tests. It's as if car design, in a number of areas, is being taken down a path to meet targets rather than to make a nice car to drive.

I am sure the autos are calibrated for the best possible performance in the standard tests; fuel economy and the CO2 output seem to go together. I suspect that this calibration may also give the best results in real world driving.
waremark

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:42 am

waremark wrote:
Gareth wrote:

I am sure the autos are calibrated for the best possible performance in the standard tests; fuel economy and the CO2 output seem to go together. I suspect that this calibration may also give the best results in real world driving.

I think they're more likely to be calibrated to excel in the very artificial environment of the tests at the expense of performance in the real world. It's much easier to design the car for the tests, as they are designed to be easy to reproduce - the real world is unpredictable, by its nature.

How many people look at road tests to see the "real" economy of cars, rather than just look at the official figures? Manufacturers care much more about the test results than "real world" figures...
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:03 pm

YorkshireJumbo wrote:How many people look at road tests to see the "real" economy of cars, rather than just look at the official figures? Manufacturers care much more about the test results than "real world" figures...

When I bought my Fiesta last year, the salesman said to knock about 10 mpg off the test results and I wouldn't be far wrong. I wouldn't know, as I don't bother monitoring my feul consumption.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby foxtrot_mike » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:46 pm

fungus wrote:Here, Here,

Don't we already have change up indicators that also serve as change down indicators? I believe they're called ears.

Eyes as well (I can see a rather large hill)
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I prefer using "feel" to determine when a good time is to change gear. Could explain why I'm always in the wrong gear :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum