Breaking the speed limit whilst overtaking

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
MGF wrote:When you prepared for your IAM test did you notice a significant increase in the variation of your speed over a particular stretch of road? I believe this variation is at the heart of advanced driving. Matching speed to hazards. If one is doing this, mandatory speed limits become superfluous.

This...
MGF wrote:Finally, well done for doing your advanced test even if it was only to reduce your insurance premiums. The benefit for you, and others, may well be much more than financial.

I agree with this with the exception that Dom claimed the increases in insurance premiums for young drivers were mainly due to speeding offences. They are not, at least not as far as I am aware. I watched an excellent presentation by Insp. Nick Elton of Wiltshire Police last night which clearly showed that young drivers between 17 and 24 are many, many more times more likely to be involved in KSI collisions, but speeding was not the primary cause of those collisions. Insurance premiums go up because insurers measure risk. Risk in their eyes is something that involves them in paying out money. Speeding fines do not cause insurance claims. Collisions do.

Can someone pass me a brick wall to bang my head against?

I'm talking about individuals (teenagers) that have speeding offences, their insurance will go through the roof! The same as going through a red light to aid an ambulance etc.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 pm

swatchways wrote:
dombooth wrote:I could organise it possibly, but unless it was on a Sunday I wouldn't be able to attend. My Sundays are precious to me as it's the only time I really have off as such.

Younger members, that's the problem, what younger members! I am the youngest (active) member, the next aged active member is 30 I think.

Dom

So do it - if you create something, and really work at it to keep it going and kindle interest they will come. You'll find many people only have Sundays off - it's hardly a stumbling block. Can you take on the task of sorting one or two of the monthly meets to your taste - that's what I try to do? Of course our events don't all appeal to me, but that's the nature of life - I'm sure some of the events I do don't appeal to others in my group.

We have a social secretary that deals with it all. We have a social evening each month (except summer months (I'm told this is due to no-one attending for a while.)). And we have a lunch each month, my idea of going out for a lunch or dinner would be Pizza Hut, who'd want to attend? :lol:

I'm thinking about doing a BBQ but I'll see.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:52 pm

jont wrote:
dombooth wrote:
jont wrote:Pretty much the whole of Derbyshire is an example of abuse of reduced speed limits. Ostensibly it's to stop bikers throwing themselves off the road. Unfortunately I struggle to believe they were doing so at speeds under NSL, or were they under NSL that they were travelling at an appropriate speed for the conditions. Therefore it's very hard to see exactly how the reduced speed limits are supposed to help - except making it much slower going for law abiding motorists by reducing the speed they can choose to travel at and giving less speed headroom for legal overtakes.

But that's life, it they reduce the limits we have to obide by them.

And you're happy about that loss of freedom and choice? :(

Driving's a privilage, not a right, so we have to be bound by something. :)

Driving the wrong way down a one way street's illegal but you don't do it do you?
Same goes for driving down a bus lane.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm

fungus wrote:I think most will agree that taking advanced training and passing the advanced test resulted in them thinking about the way they drove, which in turn resulted in a more varied approach to hazards based on the potential seriousness of the hazard they are approaching. Their observation also improved which meant that they were assessing situations earlier. They should also be able to match speed to conditions better than the average driver, which has been evident on the few occasions I have been on an ADUK driving day, including an exemplary drive from one member who I believe to be a member of the HPC.

I would recommend that you go on a driving day that's near you. You will find it both fun and educating, and will only cost you your fuel and lunch. It may help you to understand the frustration felt by many who feel that standards are being dumbed down by this continual lowering of speed limits.

Remember this. If you want blind obeyance, keep the population ignorant. Education should teach you to think.

(And insurance.)

Come September I'll be there. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:56 pm

dombooth wrote:Can someone pass me a brick wall to bang my head against?

A little harsh, for my first contribution to this thread? :P
dombooth wrote:I'm talking about individuals (teenagers) that have speeding offences, their insurance will go through the roof! The same as going through a red light to aid an ambulance etc.

Dom
I misunderstood you (I was talking in more general terms of the rise in premiums generally for younger drivers over the last 20 years or so). Yes of course, if you have speeding convictions it will raise your premium. That applies to everybody. Maybe our resident insurance expert will be along shortly to give more information about whether the penalties are steeper for younger drivers. I can quite believe that they may be. However, as everybody has made clear above, either implicitly or explicitly, your relationship with the law is your own responsibility.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 pm

dombooth wrote:Can someone pass me a brick wall to bang my head against?

A little harsh, for my first contribution to this thread? :P
dombooth wrote:I'm talking about individuals (teenagers) that have speeding offences, their insurance will go through the roof! The same as going through a red light to aid an ambulance etc.

Dom
I misunderstood you (I was talking in more general terms of the rise in premiums generally for younger drivers over the last 20 years or so). Yes of course, if you have speeding convictions it will raise your premium. That applies to everybody. Maybe our resident insurance expert will be along shortly to give more information about whether the penalties are steeper for younger drivers. I can quite believe that they may be. However, as everybody has made clear above, either implicitly or explicitly, your relationship with the law is your own responsibility.

Sorry, I just get frustrated when people change my words. Don't take it personally. :D

How old are you? Go to gocompare and do a quote for me with your correct details, car, etc. Post the price, then do it with a speeding please?

I'll do the same. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby swatchways » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:03 pm

dombooth wrote:We have a social secretary that deals with it all. We have a social evening each month (except summer months (I'm told this is due to no-one attending for a while.)). And we have a lunch each month, my idea of going out for a lunch or dinner would be Pizza Hut, who'd want to attend? :lol:

Dom

I wouldn't want to go to pizza hut, no, in fact I'd probably want to avoid all the dinners/lunches and use the money saved to put towards, oh I don't know, an actual driving day, but as I said, that's the nature of life - horses for courses and all that!

I'm sure the social secretary would love someone to take the organisation of a meeting or two off his/her hands...?
swatchways

Postby fungus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:06 pm

dombooth wrote:
MGF wrote:When you prepared for your IAM test did you notice a significant increase in the variation of your speed over a particular stretch of road? I believe this variation is at the heart of advanced driving. Matching speed to hazards. If one is doing this, mandatory speed limits become superfluous.

This...
MGF wrote:Finally, well done for doing your advanced test even if it was only to reduce your insurance premiums. The benefit for you, and others, may well be much more than financial.

I agree with this with the exception that Dom claimed the increases in insurance premiums for young drivers were mainly due to speeding offences. They are not, at least not as far as I am aware. I watched an excellent presentation by Insp. Nick Elton of Wiltshire Police last night which clearly showed that young drivers between 17 and 24 are many, many more times more likely to be involved in KSI collisions, but speeding was not the primary cause of those collisions. Insurance premiums go up because insurers measure risk. Risk in their eyes is something that involves them in paying out money. Speeding fines do not cause insurance claims. Collisions do.

Can someone pass me a brick wall to bang my head against?

I'm talking about individuals (teenagers) that have speeding offences, their insurance will go through the roof! The same as going through a red light to aid an ambulance etc.

Dom

And it'll go up a hell of a lot more if you crash!
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm

swatchways wrote:
dombooth wrote:We have a social secretary that deals with it all. We have a social evening each month (except summer months (I'm told this is due to no-one attending for a while.)). And we have a lunch each month, my idea of going out for a lunch or dinner would be Pizza Hut, who'd want to attend? :lol:

Dom

I wouldn't want to go to pizza hut, no, in fact I'd probably want to avoid all the dinners/lunches and use the money saved to put towards, oh I don't know, an actual driving day, but as I said, that's the nature of life - horses for courses and all that!

I'm sure the social secretary would love someone to take the organisation of a meeting or two off his/her hands...?

Possibly, I'll see about a BBQ.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 pm

fungus wrote:And it'll go up a hell of a lot more if you crash!

I'm well aware of that fact thank you. :(

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

And the results are:

Normal insurance quote with all details correct: £4002.47

With an SP30 (3 points and £60 fine): £5611.64

I'm sure you can all see why I'm so opposed to speeding now.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jont » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:23 pm

dombooth wrote:And the results are:

I would have thought it would make you even more in favour of having speed limits removed, or at least set at an appropriate level for the actual hazard density of a road, rather than some arbitrary level a local councillor has decided on - then you could spend more time looking for the child about to run out from between parked cars rather than worry about what the number on a stick says.
jont

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:27 pm

jont wrote:
dombooth wrote:And the results are:

I would have thought it would make you even more in favour of having speed limits removed, or at least set at an appropriate level for the actual hazard density of a road, rather than some arbitrary level a local councillor has decided on - then you could spend more time looking for the child about to run out from between parked cars rather than worry about what the number on a stick says.

Not really as I don't think that'll happen any time soon so what's the point.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:38 pm

dombooth wrote:
fungus wrote:I think most will agree that taking advanced training and passing the advanced test resulted in them thinking about the way they drove, which in turn resulted in a more varied approach to hazards based on the potential seriousness of the hazard they are approaching. Their observation also improved which meant that they were assessing situations earlier. They should also be able to match speed to conditions better than the average driver, which has been evident on the few occasions I have been on an ADUK driving day, including an exemplary drive from one member who I believe to be a member of the HPC.

I would recommend that you go on a driving day that's near you. You will find it both fun and educating, and will only cost you your fuel and lunch. It may help you to understand the frustration felt by many who feel that standards are being dumbed down by this continual lowering of speed limits.

Remember this. If you want blind obeyance, keep the population ignorant. Education should teach you to think.

(And insurance.)

Dom

Would "there" be the ADUK day in Brecon?
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby dombooth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 pm

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:

(And insurance.)

Dom

Would "there" be the ADUK day in Brecon?

Possibly, I'll see in September.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum