Change Up Indicator

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:19 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:I prefer using "feel" to determine when a good time is to change gear. Could explain why I'm always in the wrong gear :lol:

Chris

Nah...I use smell (clutch, tyres, oil) :twisted:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:59 pm

The modern way, Humans slave to the computer, because, surely, the computer knows best.
Might I suggest it doesn't?
Then, I'm old.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby gannet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:24 am

like all recent electronic systems, there should be an off button...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:27 am

gannet wrote:like all recent electronic systems, there should be an off button...

Some of the features and functions now found on modern cars are welcome (e.g. I like the rain sensing wipers on the Pug 406, and the bleeper that reminds me to switch off the lights when the driver's door is opened) but I don't like the way some functions are aranged such that they operate in a way determined by the designers, and we have no control over the function.

An example of this is the feature that dictates that dipped headlights shall be on whenever the wipers are in continuous wiping mode. The use of dipped headlights is certainly a good idea in conditions of poor visibilty, but a shower of rain on a bright day is not necessarily accompanied by poor visibility, in which case headlights are not needed. I therefore don't want a car telling me that they have to be on.

In my view we ought to be free to enable or disable some of these features, or configure them to work in ways that we want, and I would have thought that this ought to providable at relatively little cost with modern electronics systems.

Maybe I watch too many of the Grumpy Old Men/Women programmes, but I do wonder if, in due course, human beings will become increasingly resistant to being told what to do by machines. At this stage (so far as I'm aware) we are still in an era where these machines are being set up by people, and then the machines control the way things work for the rest of us. That's bad enough, but what if we eventually reach an era in which the computers can really think for themselves? What might they then impose on us? That might remain in the realms of science fiction, and I hope it stays there. I prefer more human to human functioning, despite our admitted failings.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby foxtrot_mike » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm

TripleS wrote:
gannet wrote:like all recent electronic systems, there should be an off button...

Some of the features and functions now found on modern cars are welcome (e.g. I like the rain sensing wipers on the Pug 406

I couldnt get on with rain sensing wipers and light sensing headlights, the lights never were on when i wanted them and the wipers came on at the wrong speed or didnt come on for the lightest of rain.

On my car if your front wipers are on and in reverse the rear wiper will also work, I find the rear wiper a pain to use at the best of times (i dont see the point in it) so have to switch off the wipers to reverse.

I now see a video on you tube about cars that reverse park themselves, i dont think id want this, im even surpised its allowed as your hands are off the wheel and not in control of the vehicle.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby martine » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:41 pm

TripleS wrote:Some of the features and functions now found on modern cars are welcome (e.g. I like the rain sensing wipers on the Pug 406, and the bleeper that reminds me to switch off the lights when the driver's door is opened) but I don't like the way some functions are aranged such that they operate in a way determined by the designers, and we have no control over the function.

Yes it's a question of degree I suppose - there are warnings and then there is stuff that actually does something outside your control.

TripleS wrote:An example of this is the feature that dictates that dipped headlights shall be on whenever the wipers are in continuous wiping mode. The use of dipped headlights is certainly a good idea in conditions of poor visibilty, but a shower of rain on a bright day is not necessarily accompanied by poor visibility, in which case headlights are not needed. I therefore don't want a car telling me that they have to be on.

Of course in France it is compulsory to have dipped headlights on in rain (on faster roads only I think). I've gotten in the habit of using my headlights more but it's nice to make the decision myself.

TripleS wrote:In my view we ought to be free to enable or disable some of these features, or configure them to work in ways that we want, and I would have thought that this ought to providable at relatively little cost with modern electronics systems.

On modern cars many of these 'features' are programmable by the main dealer is you want them changed.

TripleS wrote:Maybe I watch too many of the Grumpy Old Men/Women programmes,

No, you appear in the programs don't you?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:54 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Some of the features and functions now found on modern cars are welcome (e.g. I like the rain sensing wipers on the Pug 406

I couldnt get on with rain sensing wipers and light sensing headlights, the lights never were on when i wanted them and the wipers came on at the wrong speed or didnt come on for the lightest of rain.

On my car if your front wipers are on and in reverse the rear wiper will also work, I find the rear wiper a pain to use at the best of times (i dont see the point in it) so have to switch off the wipers to reverse.

I now see a video on you tube about cars that reverse park themselves, i dont think id want this, im even surpised its allowed as your hands are off the wheel and not in control of the vehicle.

Yes, I wonder what the legal situation is with regard to automatic reverse parking systems. I don't profess to be very good at reverse parking, but I get a reasonable result most times, so I don't think I would be interested in having such a feature on my car.

The 406 has rain sensing wipers, and most of the time I find they work pretty well. Admittedly there are instances when they operate unnecessarily when just a spot or two of water hits the windscreen, and other times when they seem a little slow to activate, but overall they are pretty good. The 406 doesn't have a rear wiper, so I don't have your problems with that.

I don't fully understand your problem with the rear wiper. Are you saying that if the front wipers are on and you wish to reverse, the rear wiper starts up automatically as reverse gear is engaged? I would have thought that can be useful, even though it might not always be necessary.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby foxtrot_mike » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:42 pm

TripleS wrote:
I don't fully understand your problem with the rear wiper. Are you saying that if the front wipers are on and you wish to reverse, the rear wiper starts up automatically as reverse gear is engaged? I would have thought that can be useful, even though it might not always be necessary.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Thats correct, I just find rear wipers annoying (just me) unless its pelting down there is no need for them, reverse even more so.

Whats your thoughts on electronic hand brakes, i used one once and found that it not very smooth to start with the brake on but a fiddle to manually release them as you have to be pressing the hand brake when you could be getting the clutch ready to go
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby fungus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:44 pm

The wifes 306 has rain sensitive wipers. I hate the wretched things :evil: I much prefer my Fiestas intermittent wipers which IIAC have six settings. The rear wipers on the Fiesta don't cause me a problem when they switch on when selecting reverse if the front wipers are switched on.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:34 am

TripleS wrote:Maybe I watch too many of the Grumpy Old Men/Women programmes,

Martine wrote:No, you appear in the programs don't you?

No, but I have the feeling I might be suitably qualified. Do they pay well?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Last edited by TripleS on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 am

foxtrot_mike wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Thats correct, I just find rear wipers annoying (just me) unless its pelting down there is no need for them, reverse even more so.

Whats your thoughts on electronic hand brakes, i used one once and found that it not very smooth to start with the brake on but a fiddle to manually release them as you have to be pressing the hand brake when you could be getting the clutch ready to go

The only one I recall was on a Renault Scenic that I briefly had as a rental car about six years ago. I didn't like it, but some of them might be OK if you have time to get used to them. I only had that car for one journey so I never really got the hang of it.

To my mind, having always been accustomed to simple mechanical handbrakes, I see electric handbrakes as an unnecessary complication, being more expensive to maintain and repair, without adding anything useful to a car.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby RenesisEvo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:22 pm

YorkshireJumbo wrote:I am sure the autos are calibrated for the best possible performance in the standard tests; fuel economy and the CO2 output seem to go together.

Fuel economy and CO2 are inextricably linked - burning fuel creates CO2, ergo the more fuel you burn, the more CO2 you produce.

I believe the shift-up lights are used to get around a loophole in the manufacturer test cycle. With a manual, the test prescribes the gear that has to be used - sometimes a (relatively) low gear. But the rules permit an upshift if there is a light to 'suggest' an upshift is required, so if the manufacturer fits the change-up indicators, they can use a higher gear for test - less revs, better figures. I fear, as mentioned already, this is very much leading to cars designed to pass an abitrary test than actually have any substance. A little like the DSA test :twisted:

I did experience both change-up and change down indicators in a new Renault Master van I borrowed last year. It did help for the first few miles as I gained a feel for the engine and gearbox characteristics, but after that I only tended to pay attention to the shift-down indicator as the audible clues were limited. I imagine if I had religiously followed the indicator I would have had to make an extraordinary number of changes.
RenesisEvo

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum