Breaking the speed limit whilst overtaking

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 am

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Keep going at the speed limit (if safe) until you've finished the overtake then move back in. Same with red lights isn't it really, wait until they change to move.

In the words of a certain tennis player "You can't be serious." I would consider that to be seriously pig headed and stupid but of course legal so that's OK. Apologies for expressing my view so bluntly but I am shocked.:shock: :shock: Unless of course there is another overtaking lane available for the emergency vehicle.

If this emergency vehicle was a few feet from your bumber would you really want to be breaking?

Again, I'll refer you to my earlier post with the insurance quotes..

Dom

BRAKE :shock: :shock: :shock: with him on your bumper. Have you lost the plot. :)

No.. That's what I'm saying not to do.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 am

chriskay wrote:No-one is asking you to brake, rather, to accelerate. If you couldn't complete the overtake in a reasonable time, why do it? Perhaps we need the opinion of the guy lying injured on the hard shoulder a couple of miles ahead.

Because otherwise I'd get stuck behind a lorry doing 60 and never get anywhere?

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am

chriskay wrote:Oh, and if those insurance quotes are indicating what you're really paying, I suggest you get a lower rated car. :D

My Fiat Grande Punto Active Sport 1.4 8v was cheaper to insure than a Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 8v. :lol:

And it's more to do with where I live and what happened during last years insurance.

I tried a lot of different cars when doing comparisons etc and this worked out about £50 more than a group 1 and I prefered this so stuck to it. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 am

jcochrane wrote:Dom.

Now I've started to recover from my shock :D On a more constructive note here are some thoughts.
With your need for care regarding not exceeding 70, I would guess that you keep the speedo reading a little below that, say 67/68. That being the case your true speed (as speedos should read slightly optomistically) would probably be closer to 65/66. To add even 5 mph to your speed to clear the vehicle being overtaken and allow the emergency vehicle through would still keep you within the legal limit. That would be my advice.

Don't stamp on the brakes unless you've lost the will to leave, which might be understandable considering the length of this thread. :roll:

On motorways I go by the true speed (sat nav) so when I'm doing 70, it's 70. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 am

chriskay wrote:
dombooth wrote:
chriskay wrote:Oh, and if those insurance quotes are indicating what you're really paying, I suggest you get a lower rated car. :D

My Fiat Grande Punto Active Sport 1.4 8v was cheaper to insure than a Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 8v. :lol:

And it's more to do with where I live and what happened during last years insurance.

I tried a lot of different cars when doing comparisons etc and this worked out about £50 more than a group 1 and I prefered this so stuck to it. :)

Dom

Fair enough; can't do much about it then, other than wait until your NCD builds and maybe you age a bit.

Yep, expect a thread near September for my insurance renewal! :D

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby GJD » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm

dombooth wrote:
GJD wrote:I would find it disheartening if someone felt it was morally preferable to delay an emergency vehicle rather than commit a minor transgression, if safe, of a regulation like a speed limit or a red traffic light in order to help them on their way.

I'll refer you back to my earlier post with a few insurance quotes in it.

I can understand reluctance to commit a minor transgression of the law to help an emergency vehicle for fear of the hugely disproportionate consequences you may suffer if you get done for it. That's not the same as believing it's morally preferable to delay the emergency vehicle than commit the minor trangression, if safe.

I also find it disheartening that such hugely disproportionate consequences are a possibility.
GJD

Postby GJD » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 pm

jcochrane wrote:I think you will find it was Dom who first mentioned braking in reply to my post and Chris picked up on it.

Could be. I'll take your word for it :). I'm not going back through the thread to check. Did that yesterday :).
GJD

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

GJD wrote:
dombooth wrote:
GJD wrote:I would find it disheartening if someone felt it was morally preferable to delay an emergency vehicle rather than commit a minor transgression, if safe, of a regulation like a speed limit or a red traffic light in order to help them on their way.

I'll refer you back to my earlier post with a few insurance quotes in it.

I can understand reluctance to commit a minor transgression of the law to help an emergency vehicle for fear of the hugely disproportionate consequences you may suffer if you get done for it. That's not the same as believing it's morally preferable to delay the emergency vehicle than commit the minor trangression, if safe.

I also find it disheartening that such hugely disproportionate consequences are a possibility.

It's not morally preferable to delay it no, if I can move out of its way safely and legally, I will do.

Unfortunately that's the world we live in.

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:28 pm

dombooth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Keep going at the speed limit (if safe) until you've finished the overtake then move back in. Same with red lights isn't it really, wait until they change to move.

In the words of a certain tennis player "You can't be serious." I would consider that to be seriously pig headed and stupid but of course legal so that's OK. Apologies for expressing my view so bluntly but I am shocked.:shock: :shock: Unless of course there is another overtaking lane available for the emergency vehicle.

If this emergency vehicle was a few feet from your bumber would you really want to be breaking?

Dom

Just for clarity the first paragraph in the quote above was not penned by me.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:31 pm

GJD wrote:
jcochrane wrote:I think you will find it was Dom who first mentioned braking in reply to my post and Chris picked up on it.

Could be. I'll take your word for it :). I'm not going back through the thread to check. Did that yesterday :).

Go for it. You're now well practiced in the art of trawling. :lol:
jcochrane

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:39 pm

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Dom

Just for clarity the first paragraph in the quote above was not penned by me.

No, that was you, you messed up the quotes. :P

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:01 pm

dombooth wrote:On motorways I go by the true speed (sat nav) so when I'm doing 70, it's 70. :)

Dom

In which case would it be prudent to consider going by the speedo and then only to 67/68 providing some headroom in speed/acceleration?
Without the headroom (and not prepared to exceed the speed limit, for the reasons you have given) you will have removed one of the three options available in case of emergency leaving yourself only braking and steering.
jcochrane

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:04 pm

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:On motorways I go by the true speed (sat nav) so when I'm doing 70, it's 70. :)

Dom

In which case would it be prudent to consider going by the speedo and then only to 67/68 providing some headroom in speed/acceleration?
Without the headroom (and not prepared to exceed the speed limit, for the reasons you have given) you will have removed one of the three options available in case of emergency leaving yourself only braking and steering.

Not sure what you mean?

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:10 pm

dombooth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

Dom

Not sure what you mean?

Dom

Does refering to your post on 13th June 11:48am help to clarify?
jcochrane

Postby dombooth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:14 pm

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:In which case would it be prudent to consider going by the speedo and then only to 67/68 providing some headroom in speed/acceleration?

Not sure what you mean?

Dom

Does refering to your post on 13th June 11:48am help to clarify?

Not really. :oops:

Dom
Dominic Booth
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

dombooth

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum