Local IAM group are dragging their heels

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ROG » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:51 pm

I have observed well over 150 associates and only a couple failed on test due to making daft errors they would not normally do like starting to go through a red light to turn right when only the ahead lights turned to green !
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:07 pm

fengpo wrote:Standard Id passport, driving licence. I would give them my documents to check no problem. Think it's reasonable for both parties to ask for ID as them and I will be strangers to each other.

I would like to do some advanced observering myself; I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

And what will you do if they don't happen to have their license on them? Is it likely someone would impersonate an IAM examiner?

Honestly, if an associate asked to see my passport and driving license I would think they were a prat.
zadocbrown

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Is anyone else getting the feeling we're being wound up here?

Fengpo, I would suggest a little humility wouldn't go amiss. However good you may be, there's always something to learn. Winding up your examiner by asking him or her for id, then spouting lots of obscure theory at them, while laughing at the test, isn't going to predispose them to score you highly. Much better to rein your ego in a little and just drive as well as you can. If you're as good as you say you are, then F1rst should be your goal, rather than just doing enough to pass.

Oh, and does your keyboard not have a letter "q" on it? You seem to be having trouble with the word EVOQUE!
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Is anyone else getting the feeling we're being wound up here?

Fengpo, I would suggest a little humility wouldn't go amiss. However good you may be, there's always something to learn. Winding up your examiner by asking him or her for id, then spouting lots of obscure theory at them, while laughing at the test, isn't going to predispose them to score you highly. Much better to rein your ego in a little and just drive as well as you can. If you're as good as you say you are, then F1rst should be your goal, rather than just doing enough to pass.

Oh, and does your keyboard not have a letter "q" on it? You seem to be having trouble with the word EVOQUE!

You may well be right about the wind up.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby fengpo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:24 am

I usually post off my phone, I missed the q out of Evoque thanks for highlighting that.

Regarding my driving ability, I have post the opinions of my observer. I have actually knocked my ability, I'm no better than average Joe.

I doubt asking for ID will offend the examiner, as I've stated in previous posts. I'm not winding people up, not my intentional if anyone is annoyed at my posts.
fengpo

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:28 am

Custom24 wrote:
waremark wrote:
fengpo wrote:Standard Id passport, driving licence. I would give them my documents to check no problem. Think it's reasonable for both parties to ask for ID as them and I will be strangers to each other.

I would like to do some advanced observering myself; I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

How would seeing an individuals passport help you decide whether it is safe to carry them in your car? What risks are you concerned about?

It will at least make sure that the person getting into his car has a name that matches who he has arranged to meet. I think this part is a reasonable request, and I used to show my driving license to my associates when I was an observer, especially if it was a female associate.

I will be assuming that he has made contact with his examiner by phone, and arranged not only where and when to meet but how they will know one another. Is there a real concern that that the wrong man may be getting into his car, or should he be more worried about being hit by lightning?
waremark

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:34 am

fengpo wrote:I'll ask to see some ID before they get in my car, from a self defence point of view.

Presumably you'd ask to see ID if you were a candidate for a job about to be interviewed?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 am

Gareth wrote:
fengpo wrote:I'll ask to see some ID before they get in my car, from a self defence point of view.

Presumably you'd ask to see ID if you were a candidate for a job about to be interviewed?

Would the the interview be conducted in a Tesco car park?
Custom24

Postby fengpo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:23 pm

I think my comment regarding ID is going a bit far. I've been asked for ID at interviews.

I agree with Custom24 you can never been too cautious when meeting a stranger. Maybe it's the years of self defence training that have made me like it.
fengpo

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm

All IAM Examiners have authorised ID and will only be too pleased to show you it,but like me I always telephone the associate for a chat first and just to put them at ease,then when a time and date has been arranged never seems to be a problem.

If you are as good as you say and give as good a drive as you have given the Observer then I would think that the Examiner will be smiling with you !!!.
Stephen

Postby fengpo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Thank you for telling me that the examiner may call me for a chat before the test. My first observed run was good but I had two areas scored 3 and two scored 2. I'm going off the observer's comments.

Hopefully I achieve my personal target of getting a F1RST. the things he told me to work on has improved my driving.

I'm happy that my amplitude and courtesy to other road users was scored 1. Good to know I'm a help to improving road safety; as opposed to a hinderance.
fengpo

Postby revian » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:06 pm

fengpo wrote:I'm happy that my amplitude.... was scored 1

I'll apologise in advance... :D but being a RoSPA stream driver we don't get tested on shouting at other drivers...
Wirral
revian

Postby martine » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 pm

fengpo wrote:...My first observed run was good but I had two areas scored 3 and two scored 2. I'm going off the observer's comments.

Hopefully I achieve my personal target of getting a F1RST. the things he told me to work on has improved my driving.

I'm happy that my amplitude and courtesy to other road users was scored 1. Good to know I'm a help to improving road safety; as opposed to a hindrance.

That all sounds quite a lot more 'reasonable' and positive...perhaps you were having a bad day when you posted your thoughts about the observed run earlier?

(sorry - just read that and it sounds patronising!)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fengpo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:33 am

I didn't think your post was patrinising Martin; I was having a bad day. Was annoyed that he had cancelled on me. I don't get much time off, I had planned the drive into my day off.

Shouting at other drivers? I'm going to politely disagree with you revian. You're entitled to your opinion but it's a wrong opinion on my driving.
fengpo

Postby michael769 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:05 am

fengpo wrote:
Shouting at other drivers? I'm going to politely disagree with you revian. You're entitled to your opinion but it's a wrong opinion on my driving.

I guess you didn't get the joke there.....

you wrote:I'm happy that my amplitude ....
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum