Span 180 degrees today

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 7db » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:03 pm

James wrote:Funny video though, very well held.

Red Herring wrote:IBrilliant save though.....

I think the only thing that saved the car was the slipperyness of the grass preventing any further traction once the wheels got on it, and the attitude at which he struck.

He was basically a passenger after lifting off, I think. Although impossible to tell without Stressed Dave (or his DL1) strapped to one of the wheels to tell.
7db

Postby zadocbrown » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:41 pm

7db wrote:
James wrote:Funny video though, very well held.

Red Herring wrote:IBrilliant save though.....

I think the only thing that saved the car was the slipperyness of the grass preventing any further traction once the wheels got on it, and the attitude at which he struck.

He was basically a passenger after lifting off, I think. Although impossible to tell without Stressed Dave (or his DL1) strapped to one of the wheels to tell.

Looked to me like too little too late.
zadocbrown

Postby jcochrane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Using power in a front wheel drive car, the instant the rear wheels started to loose grip, was what I did many years ago to retreive the situation and it worked like a dream.

Cause was steering into a right hand bend whilst going too fast and lifting off. It was rather embarrasing though, as it happened during a police advanced instructors training session.

For clarification:- I am not nor have been a copper, just a lucky civilian to be invited along and yes they did continue to invite me after the above incident.

For further clarification the above occured when I was in my thirties when I did tend to drive rather quickly. I'm now an elderly sedate driver. :)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:38 pm

jcochrane wrote:I'm now an elderly sedate driver. :)

Me too, and Eileen's getting a bit fed up of having to walk in front with the red flag. Still, it keeps me from having too many limit handling problems. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jcochrane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 pm

TripleS wrote:
Me too, and Eileen's getting a bit fed up of having to walk in front with the red flag. Still, it keeps me from having too many limit handling problems. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

My wife has now refused to walk in front with the red flag because she claims I'm a danger to her. She says my driving is so eratic and I'm blind as a bat, even with the glasses.
I've now resorted to fixing a red light to front of the car. Trouble is it seems to upset other drivers. Keep flashing their lights at me and blasting on their horns. Scares the life out of me. Really can't understand the attitude of these youngsters towards their elders and betters. :roll: Guess you know what I mean, Dave.

P.S.
I think it's about time they dropped this rule abut the red flag. Nobody seems to abide by it any more anyway.
jcochrane

Postby nuster100 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:36 am

I have had a few overster moments with the skyline. 1 of which put me in a hedge...

after that, i did take myself to a quiet car park and learnt to feel where the limit of the car was.

Strange as it may sound, but as the back end of the skyline use to break away, i would let the steering wheel slide through my fingers as the front wheels will automaticially be turned to point where they need to be to keep you on your intended course.

In the liner, it was then just a case of feathering the throttle to keep the car at the angle you wanted then comming out of the corner/roundabout with a huge grin on your face.

My new toy has 4wd and active diffs all round so no such fun :cry:

James: are your tires identicial front and back? I had issues on my v6 mondy when the fronts were softer compound. As others have said tyre pressures could have played a part. You run 235/35/19 on the vxr from memory so low presures might not notice as much.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 am

Who puts too much faith in his co-driver's navigational skills? :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby James » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Front tyres are Toyo's, quite soft and my 4th set. The rear tyres are the same as what car with the car :shock:
James

Postby nuster100 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Toyo Proxies?

If so, they probably grip better than just every other tyre out there.

I would say that was probably your problem mate. (I had yokohamas on my mondy that were a soft compound and spun bacause the rears [falkens i think] just didnt have the same level of grip.)

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

nuster100

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:40 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:

Who puts too much faith in his co-driver's navigational skills? :lol:

Chris

"navigational skills"? :? :o :roll: :lol:
jcochrane

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm

nuster100 wrote:I have had a few overster moments with the skyline. 1 of which put me in a hedge...

after that, i did take myself to a quiet car park and learnt to feel where the limit of the car was.

Strange as it may sound, but as the back end of the skyline use to break away, i would let the steering wheel slide through my fingers as the front wheels will automaticially be turned to point where they need to be to keep you on your intended course.

In the liner, it was then just a case of feathering the throttle to keep the car at the angle you wanted then comming out of the corner/roundabout with a huge grin on your face.

Jay

....until you see Von in your mirror:

"You're nicked, Sunshine - not under proper control etc.!" :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby nuster100 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Funny you should say that, I got a S59 for doing something similar - driver not under proper controll etc. :roll:

To me not under propper controll would be going backwards through a hedge.

Meh.. ..

nuster100

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:22 pm

nuster100 wrote:Funny you should say that, I got a S59 for doing something similar - driver not under proper control etc. :roll:

To me not under proper controll would be going backwards through a hedge.

Meh.. ..

It all depends on what we reckon constitutes 'not under proper control' - and it sounds as if the police are more ready to pounce on that sort of thing these days if they witness it; and long before we get to the stage of disappearing through hedges!

....not that I've ever gone through a hedge - well not yet. :roll:

Actually, I'm somewhat reassured by the suggestion from the Stressed one that it's unlikely to happen because I only go very slowly, which is what I need to keep doing; so that's OK. :cool:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:16 pm

James wrote:Front tyres are Toyo's, quite soft and my 4th set. The rear tyres are the same as what car with the car :shock:

I don't know about the particular type of tyre that you mention but it appears you have repeatedly chosen to have more grippy tyres on the front, which is something I would always avoid doing precisely to reduce the possibility of the back end losing grip resulting in a spin.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby fungus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I seem to remember a few years ago, one of the tv motoring programmes testing whether you should put the most worn, or least worn tyres on the front of the car. The conclusion was that it is preferable to have your most worn on the front, in order to retain grip on the rear.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer.
fungus

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum