Changing different manual cars

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby prashantrchauhan » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 am

I have been wondering, I have just recently passed my driving test and prior to that I learnt on a Ford Focus 1.6 1v Zetec. I am used to the clutch on that, in terms of stiffness and biting point. When i change to different manual cars, they have a different setting, and either ending up surging forward, stalling or rolling back on a hill. What can i do to prevent this, wen i switch cars and move off smoothly like how i can do on the focus which (was the car i learnt on)
prashantrchauhan

Postby vonhosen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:07 pm

Everytime I move off in a car for the first time each day, I perform a brake test (at about 30mph in a non restraining gear) at the first safe opportunity & then do a few unnecessary gear changes to establish that the gearbox will select the gears as chosne & that I can get a feel for the pedal balance & biting point of the clutch.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby kevdyas » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:14 pm

When you first pass your test you are left wondering if you could ever drive a different car. You can drive the Focus because that is the car you have come to get used to and are familiar with the controls. After a few drives in a different car you wont have a problem.

Kevin.
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby Lynne » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:23 am

Firstly, prashantrchauhan congratulations on passing your test. Have you done, or are you planning to do your Pass Plus?

I have a few students who practice in other cars then when they get back into my driving school car (also a Focus) it seems a bit strange but they all eventually can jump from one to another with no problem.

After you have done what Von has suggested (and definitely practice the braking..not just that they are working but for performance as even in my new Focus the brakes cut in slightly later than than in the old one) , carry on going by the 'feel' of the car. I have a deaf pupil whose been through various car changes with me. She can only go by feel and she can't even hear engine, has it off to a "T" with her pedal power and gear changes!

Older cars may be a little more 'tetchy' so just go somewhere quiet if you can to practice and feel comfortable. Build up your confidence and you'll be fine.

Good luck :)

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Return to Advanced Driving Forum