New motorcycle course - Students needed for the pilot course

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby T.C » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:28 pm

I appreciate that this board is aimed at car drivers rather than motorcyclists, but I thought this may be of interest,

I have today received written confirmation that the City and Guilds advanced course I have been working on for the past 12 months is now formally approved, so in short I am the only person in the UK who can issue a City & Guilds NVQ in advanced motorcycle riding.

I need to run a pilot course before the end of the year to get any potential bugs ironed out before it goes live next year, although I hope that having been responsible for setting up the RoSPA diploma and being responsible for RoSPA's advanced riding policy for many years, there will not be too many.

The course unlike RoSPA and the IAM will cover normal road riding, slow riding control, Personal protective equipment, road law (subject to passing the final examination as per RoSPA and the IAM), and every student will be qualified as a motorcycle specific first aider at the completion of the course.

It is a 1 week residential and there are two levels, post DAS and full advanced based just outside Salisbury.

In order to run the pilot, we are offering students onthe first courses a fairly hefty discount on the full course price which will come in next year, although successfull students will still receive the City and Guilds qualification, and is aimed at a higher standard than currently offered by RoSPA which is regarded as the highest civillian qualification at the moment.

I don't know what the price will be at the moment as I am not responsible for that side of things, all I want to do is draw up a list of people who would be interested in participating in the pilot course.

We have interest from the insurance companies which is a bonus

If anyone is interested and would like to be included on the list, could I ask you to drop a line to Dave Hitchins at dave.hitchins@issee.co.uk telling him that you would like to be added to the list and request further information and prices as soon as they become known.

Early next year there will be an instructor and examiner course added, so the top 10% of the full advanced course will be eligible to move on to that qualification as well, and we should have learning grants in place by then as an additional bonus.

If you want further specific information, then feel free to PM me, but enquiries to be added to the list without obligation should be directed towards Dave.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next.
T.C

Postby Nigel » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:27 am

Well done to you.

This forum was never intended to be cars only, and just before it was hacked Darren had reworded some things to include bikes after a request from one of the BM lads who had just completed his IAM car test.

Would you have any objection to me copy and pasting your post onto the BM forum ? , as we have quite a few motorcyclists on there.

The link is in my signature panel to this forum, You are very welcome to post it there yourself, but let me know first, so we can be online together, as one of the moderators may remove it as advertising, I am a moderator, so it wouldn't be touched if I posted it.

I'm thinking of getting another bike, after a gap of almost 20 years, but haven't gotten anything yet, so can't list myself.
Nigel

Postby T.C » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:47 pm

Nigel wrote:
Would you have any objection to me copy and pasting your post onto the BM forum ? , as we have quite a few motorcyclists on there.

Not a problem at all, the more that know about it the better, and in fact I am currently progressing quite quickly with the instructor and examiner course which already has interest from the USA, Malaysia, China and Hong Kong.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next.
T.C

Return to Advanced Driving Forum