Why do people take Advanced Driver Training

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Why did you / would you take advanced driver training?

To reduce your insurance premiums
4%
To improve road safety as a whole
No votes
To improve your own driving
77%
Because you collect certificates
4%
Employment Reasons
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 26

Postby Darren » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:51 pm

In another post it was commented that some who undertaken advanced driver training are probably just certificate collectors, that got me thinking. Roughly what are the percentage of people who take advanced driving for various reasons and I thought a poll would be useful.
Last edited by Darren on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Postby vonhosen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:34 pm

It's my job in my case.....so "other" for me.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:14 pm

I wanted to vote for Other and to improve my driving, but chose the latter. It is also my job but it comes in handy out of work too!
Rick

Postby vonhosen » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:50 pm

Rick wrote:I wanted to vote for Other and to improve my driving, but chose the latter. It is also my job but it comes in handy out of work too!

I was thinking a bit like that originally.

When I did my initial training I was really interested in learning to be a better driver, but over the years it went beyond that & took over my working life, so I went for "other" in the end.

I've picked up a lot of certificates & qualifications along the way as well :D
(though where they are I don't know so I couldn't say the purpose was to collect them)
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:59 am

Me too Von, not only work related. Good to see you here as i see you have been missed in some other places!
Rick

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:02 pm

Rick wrote:Me too Von, not only work related. Good to see you here as i see you have been missed in some other places!

Oh? Why is that?

Best wishes all, including Von. :D
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Lynne » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:34 pm

I've put to improve my driving :D cos it's not really for employment for me. I'd still get work irrespective as not one person knew what 'advanced' driving was anyway!!

I still tell them though, and that I've got Gold!!
:D :D :wink:
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:03 pm

LOL! Lynne, I think they're too busy working their best to pass their test to worry about advanced driving. Even after they passed, they probably wouldn't have heard of advanced driving either.

Either it's not socially acceptable, seen as a waste of time/money or because of the lack of publicity about advanced driving, hardly anyone knows that such things exist. I surely did not (until I read about it in the Drive On magazine they give you after you pass, but I doubt anyone reads that, they've passed so they should just drive, they think).
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby Nigel » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:25 pm

I did it as I was getting grief from DVLA, having obtained my licence from the MOD ( when they could do those things), and now being on a three year licence.

I became hooked as it taught me so much, more then the rest of you probably, as I'd never really learn't properly in the first place.
Nigel

Postby christopherwk » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:22 pm

I take advanced driver (and rider) training for all 6 reasons:

1) I'm 21 years old. My insurance premiums are ridiculously high. My motorbike, a 2004 Honda CBF600SA costs £2000 to insure (that was last year when I was 20 years old). Fully comp, 1 years no-claim, garaged, although living in central London. When I was first insured on the car under my dad's policy cost about £1,000 for the both of us, when I was 17.

2) The standard of road safety and discipline is appalling (in my opinion). Poor lane discipline and bunching on motorways, people braking last minute at hazards. Car drivers (usually) not aware of motorcyclists and cyclists.

3) I'd like to improve my driving and riding. I want to reduce the chances of having an accident and build up my no-claims bonus. Also cuts down wear and tear. My brake pads and tyres last 12,000 (on my motorbike), by riding smoothly and anticipating hazards. My mate who rides his bike hard, his brakes and tyres last 4,000 miles.

4) The certificates look nice on my wall.

5) I'm a motorcycle courier, and I'm on the bike the whole day, five days a week. I need to be safe. Furthermore I plan to do courier in a car/van soon.

6) It's very satisfying to pass the IAM test (or any advanced course/test) after putting in weeks/months of practice, knowing that you'll contribute to the safety of others and yourself.
christopherwk

Postby redpenben » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:56 am

I took up advanced driving back in 1990,when i started driving for a living.
Seeing all the carnage and stupidity on our roads prompted me to improve my own driving, ever since it's been one long learning curve which i enjoy.

cheers
Dave.
redpenben

Postby Solo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:39 pm

Like Von, it was my job in a previous life.
I've now taken the opportunity to spread the word in the private sector.
Solo

Postby coconut » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:36 am

I heard an advertisement on one of our local radio stations ( in Glasgow ) today for the IAM. Improve Your Driving said the man enthusiastically. Was I concentrating on my driving enough if I was listening so closely to this new
road safety push on the radio. Probably not, as I turned up the volume in disbelief. This comes hard on the back of the news that 'White Van Man ' is to get free driver training from the government. Things are looking up.

Great site. Very helpful.
coconut

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:40 am

Cocunut, do you have a link to an article describing the free driver training for white van man? Would be useful.

--- added later

Found on http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=218285

Darren
Darren

Postby MikeG » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 am

Cocunut, do you have a link to an article describing the free driver training for white van man? Would be useful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4646008.stm
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum