RAC advanced driving test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby JamesE » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:12 pm

JamesE

Postby Susie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:34 pm

It's the BSM/RAC "equivalent" of IAM or RoSPA but note that it's DSA oriented not Roadcraft based.
IMVVVHO, it's probably not worth bothering about unless you're inclined to take lots of tests :wink: :wink:
S
Susie

Postby Big Err » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Susie wrote:It's the BSM/RAC "equivalent" of IAM or RoSPA but note that it's DSA oriented not Roadcraft based.
IMVVVHO, it's probably not worth bothering about unless you're inclined to take lots of tests :wink: :wink:
S

A lot more expensive too.
Big Err

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:07 pm

Susie wrote:It's the BSM/RAC "equivalent" of IAM or RoSPA but note that it's DSA oriented not Roadcraft based.
S

So that would answer Porker's question about DIAmond too?

I did hear if you're attempting to be an ADI, it was a good idea to take DIAmond rather than "waste" a Part 2 attempt first.
crr003

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:10 pm

First, it's important to say that every effort to encourage drivers to improve their skills is excellent. And it is worth bearing in mind that they signed up to the same definition of advanced driving as IAM and Rospa. But having said that, this does not sound like advanced driving as we know it.

It seems that you get Platinum from RAC if you drive like a fault free learner. Absolutely no mention of system, smoothness or progress. It would be interesting to know what the training is like.

An interesting point from the linked page is that they advise you to check whether taking instruction in your own car is covered by your insurance. This links interestingly with our discussions about insurance for demo drives - I believe that both Observing and being Observed should be covered by S D & P, but there are as likely to problems with the one as with the other.
waremark

Postby Porker » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:17 pm

I concur with CRR03 in that I believe the RAC test will be pretty similar to the DIAmond Advanced Test.

On that basis, I don't think they're in any sense preferable to something like IAM or RoADAR or of any benefit to someone who's already done one or the other of those tests.

I might even go so far as to say that they're looking for drivers to be able to, in musical terms, play a technically simple piece of music very well rather than asking them to play a more technically challenging piece to an acceptable standard. Ultimately, this is quite limiting.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby jmaccyd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Well there is a system to the DSA method of driving. Not as involved as the 'system' in Roadcraft but maintaining the bones. It is the familiar MSM with the Manoeuvre part split into PSL (Position, Speed with gearchange, Look) There is no need to seperate braking and gearchanging.
jmaccyd

Postby michaelward21 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:40 pm

I was going to do the RAC test just for fun to see what happened, but on contacting BSM/RAC, there were no qualified instructors in my area, nearest was in Durham.

Seems to me that the scheme is in place, but there is nobody available to conduct the tests.
Mike.
michaelward21

Postby Zebedee » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:35 am

Has this BSM 'advanced' test now died?
Zebedee

Postby Ralge » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:47 am

I guess so and, in any case, BSM was bought up by Acromas so they are in the same stable as the AA and therefore not associated with the RAC anymore.
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Return to Advanced Driving Forum