3 lane hazard overtake...thing...question!

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:21 pm

So chaps & chapesses what would you do:

On the A37 South of Bristol (towards the airport) there is what used to be a 3 lane section...it's still 3 lanes but now on the uphill stretch the middle lane is a hazard hashed area bounded by a hazard line on one side and a solid on the opposite. Obviously a driver going uphill is allowed in the hazard area if it's safe to do so.

Problem is there are some reasonably sharp bends where you can't get a view of anyone overtaking (illegally) in the opposite direction and using the middle lane.

I drove this route yesterday and approached a slow moving HGV - if I had a clear view I would have done an overtake into the hashed area but I didn't feel comfortable as I couldn't be sure some idiot wasn't overtaking in the opposite direction. Was I right to hold back or is that not making progress?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby vonhosen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Right to hold back.

Unless it's a double solid white line on the other side of the hatchings (for opposing traffic) it wouldn't be illegal for them to be in there anyway.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby martine » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:39 pm

Sorry Von I didn't make it clear: it *was* solid double white lines on the opposite side...so no one *should* be there...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Return to Advanced Driving Forum