1st RoSPA Meeting/Tulliallan

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby coconut » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi,
I attended my first RoSPA meeting on Monday night. I was kindly invited
along to East Renfrewshire RoSPA in Clarkston(Glasgow) by BillZZ600. Thanks Bill.
There was an informative lecture given by the RAC on common causes of breakdown
and how to avoid them. Things like how to avoid frying your car's computer while
jump-starting. Did you know that could happen ?
I certainly didn't.
Anyway , I signed up as an associate which will cost me £20. A bargain I
thought considering I was given an invite to Tulliallan Police College to be
taken out on a demo drive in May sometime. How to 'make progress' was the
description.
Not bad for a first meeting. I like it already .

This has probably come a bit early for me as I've had no assesment and have
only been practicing what I've read in Roadcraft for a few months.
Should I try and take in as much as I can at the time or ,if allowed to ,
take my camcorder for future reference ?

I know this demo is probably nothing much to most of you out there,
but I'm excited.

Cheers again Bill.

Andy.
coconut

Postby Darren » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Hi Cocunut,

Speaking as one who has sat in on several demo drive's with PC1's, Police Instructors, on country, motorway etc.

If they really go for it, turn on the style and show really what they are trained to do.....It will blow you away, and not something that many people get to experience.

Your probably going to see some of the finest driving anywhere in the world. It'll be the kind of experience that changes your attitude, opinion and view of the Police and the skill PC1's have behind the wheel.

Mine and your Roadcraft is "really" amateur compared to what you will see....trust me, you'll enjoy it and if I could go on one again....I would.
Darren

Postby Lynne » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:56 pm

I agree with Darren. Lucky old You Andy!

I'm going to pester my local group at the next meeting :)
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby JimWells » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:04 pm

Yep, I'm with Darren and Lyne: I'm jealous.

I (and many others) did get a demo drive from one our local (Herts) PDIs after a RoADA assessment run at the end of county council run theory course, but I'd appreciate it much more now (several years and an IAM test pass later).

Mind you, I did get some free entertainment that day. I had unwittingly parked up next to one of the police driving school cars - a very new BMW. When it was my turn to go out on the assessed run, the elderly Metro I had then started when I turned the key, while the demonstration driver was having serious trouble coaxing a new BM into life. (Yes, I know .. small things please small minds.)
JimWells

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm

:D Glad you enjoyed your evening, Andy. and you are on our Tulliallan list are you?

Well If I dont get to meet you, before then, I will allmost certainly see you there, as I am probably going along as the Group Comittee Representative (to act as ringmaster as Roy put it to me) as most going are new group members, and probably all well pre-test.

It is just a great fun visit, particularly (as they are usually kind enough to do ) when they dig out the "skid pan" car and let us all have a few shots at it........WHEEEEEEEEE!! and the Demo drive is just FAB to experience
Its not a teaching or tutoring session, but,a chance to see the Roads Policing/DriverTraining professionals in action. The only thing you will really learn is just how easy these guys make it look, and just how far you have to go to get to the point which they would regard our "advanced driving" as entry level to their training, without putting you off.

I wouldnt bother with the camcorder, just make sure that your eyes and ears are wide open, and if you want to know somthing , JUST ASK, as the folks there are so so happy to let you know what its all about and give you the benefit of their experience.

Welcome aboard.

Bill
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby rlmr » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:15 pm

I am sure you will enjoy your visit. The building and grounds are rather nice and the Traffic Division (sod this Road Policing title) has a good history.

I can assure you that when you are up till whenever at night, studying and are on the road by 0830 each morning come hell or high water, it is a slightly different feeling :wink:

The cars & bikes were always A1. I have to confess that the computer controlled skid cars are impressive... but you should have been there when the Skid Pan was a skid pan and we ran a Rover SD1 3.5 litre with bald, over inflated tyres over a mixture of sure-skid, oil and water :D :D :D

And I can assure you at the end of an extremely intensive, exhausting and exhilarating course you treasure the result...

regards,

Rennie

Note: image of certificate intentionally poor to preclude copying
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby BillZZR600 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:41 pm

The Tea and biccies are good too. :D
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby omegac » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:50 pm

rlmr wrote:you should have been there when the Skid Pan was a skid pan and we ran a Rover SD1 3.5 litre with bald, over inflated tyres over a mixture of sure-skid, oil and water :D :D :D

As does Hendon currently, although it is an old Omega, not a Rover :)
omegac

Postby vonhosen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:36 pm

rlmr wrote:... but you should have been there when the Skid Pan was a skid pan and we ran a Rover SD1 3.5 litre with bald, over inflated tyres over a mixture of sure-skid, oil and water :D :D :D

Some places still do have the surfaces & tyres, the cars have obviously changed though

:D

edit, should have gone down further to see the previous reply first :oops:
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby coconut » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:49 pm

I take it a quick visit to Knockhill is out of the question ? :lol:

Andy.
coconut

Postby rlmr » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 am

coconut wrote:I take it a quick visit to Knockhill is out of the question ? :lol:

Its good fun, but expensive unless you have contacts on the inside.

We got the track hired for an evening's Fife Camera Partnership / IAM Motorcycling demo where riders were invited to attend, they got a chat, a free buffet, an observed ride then a few laps with Niall Mackenzie showing the lines...

We got over 40 (part subsidised) IAM Skills for Life joiners paying out their share of the "Skills" package from that event!

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Return to Advanced Driving Forum