Thumbs Up

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MikeG » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:00 pm

Just been watching the Roadcraft Video and one of the tutors is showing the new students the correct grip for selecting the gears, Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down. I've not seen this demonstrated before. Would this be something the examiner would look for when doing RoADA like they would look at your steering technique.

Cheers,
Mike :roll:
MikeG

Postby T.C » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:06 pm

As an examiner, all I look for is a correct choice of gear appropriate to the speed or hazard and whether that gear change is made precisely and accurately.

If they (the candidate) hold the gear lever in the correct way, then that is a bonus, but my attitude in 24 years of examing is why mark them down all because of the way the gear lever is held. If the gear changes are sloppy or inappropriate, then I may mention their grip as part of my report summary.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next.
T.C

Postby vonhosen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:26 am

Agree with what TC has said

But I would add that the reason behind the gear grip as described, is to provide the greatest consistency combined with ease of movement working with the spring loading of the gearbox lever.

I personally have witnessed quite a few occasions where in stressful situations people who under normal circumstances can quite smoothly & correctly take a gear no problems, in more trying circumstances have got 3rd instead of 1st before pulling out.

The gear grip technique as described & it's proper implementation can alieviate this problem, by providing a consistant, accurate safe & reliable method. What Roadcraft is all about really (consistant, accurate safe & reliable method)
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 am

I too echo the above statements....

the fact that the correct gear is engaged for the circumstances...way outweighs how the gear stick was held doing it...

In a recent exam I conducted, the associated held the gearstick how you describe, but the gearchanges were so hurried and quick that they looked nervous and rushed and were detrimental to his entire drive...
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:39 am

Safety1st wrote:I too echo the above statements....
the fact that the correct gear is engaged for the circumstances...way outweighs how the gear stick was held doing it...

Yes but....

It's not just an affectation is it? If your hand is sweaty it will prevent it slipping off the gear lever against the gate spring bias.

My RoADA examiner complimented me on my "palming technique" in my report. (I'm almost embarrassed to mention this!).

One thing which was a tad picky on my pre test was a criticism that I covered the numbers on the gear knob - he wanted my hand completely on the side of the gear knob, not on top of it.
crr003

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:15 am

crr003 wrote:
Safety1st wrote:I too echo the above statements....

Yes but....

It's not just an affectation is it? If your hand is sweaty it will prevent it slipping off the gear lever against the gate spring bias.

Absolutely, and that is the reason why the thumbs up/down method is employed..

However, I would be more happy with someone who gets the gears right and doesn't slip...using whatever method....rather than someone who is too interesting and involved with getting his/her thumb position right...to the detriment of his/her driving or gear changes....

If they can do the thumbs business and get it right..and not affect everything else...Great....
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:26 am

Safety1st wrote:However, I would be more happy with someone who gets the gears right and doesn't slip...using whatever method....rather than someone who is too interesting and involved with getting his/her thumb position right...to the detriment of his/her driving or gear changes....

If they can do the thumbs business and get it right..and not affect everything else...Great....

To go a bit off topic then - would the gear grip make any difference between Gold and Silver on a test? Assuming the gear changes themselves were equal etc.
crr003

Postby vonhosen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:28 pm

crr003 wrote:One thing which was a tad picky on my pre test was a criticism that I covered the numbers on the gear knob - he wanted my hand completely on the side of the gear knob, not on top of it.

If that's the worst thing they are picking you up on, then you aren't doing bad :wink:
vonhosen

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:49 pm

crr003 wrote:
Safety1st wrote:However, I would be more happy with someone who gets the gears right and doesn't slip...using whatever method....rather than someone who is too interesting and involved with getting his/her thumb position right...to the detriment of his/her driving or gear changes....

To go a bit off topic then - would the gear grip make any difference between Gold and Silver on a test? Assuming the gear changes themselves were equal etc.

Nah...there has to be more to it than than....

I like smooth gear changes (obviously), but I also like slow and methodical gear changes......without acting like the gear stick is red hot...

It seems the faster people drive...the faster they want to change gear.. :shock:
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:53 pm

vonhosen wrote:If that's the worst thing they are picking you up on, then you aren't doing bad :wink:

The other thing was not having one hand on the steering wheel at all times the engine was running.

I guess this guy was real old school. :shock:
crr003

Postby Lynne » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:56 pm

I tried to copy the style on the Roadcraft video but found the thumbs up bit uncomfortable, my observer never said anything just have proper control of the gearstick. TBH I cover the top of the gearknob and my examiner never marked me down on it. Just looked up my report and he wrote "Crisp action, well balanced to both engine and road speeds"

Incidentally, we shouldn't be looking down at it anyway so why remark that the numbers are covered :roll: :shock:

Anyway I suppose you RoSPA examiners all have your likes and dislikes on certain things...just like DSA examiners (NO OFFENCE INTENDED GUYS...YOU KNOW THAT :D ) Just an assumption....

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby crr003 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Lynne wrote:Incidentally, we shouldn't be looking down at it anyway so why remark that the numbers are covered :roll: :shock:

His complaint was that if my hand was more on top of the gear knob it could slip off (sweaty palm - exam situation :cry: ). If he could read the numbers (not me!) then my hand was around the gear knob, so he said it was better.

He was hard core old Roadcraft - he didn't even like fixed input/rotational steering at all.

I loved it :lol:
crr003

Postby vonhosen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:16 pm

crr003 wrote:
Lynne wrote:Incidentally, we shouldn't be looking down at it anyway so why remark that the numbers are covered :roll: :shock:

His complaint was that if my hand was more on top of the gear knob it could slip off (sweaty palm - exam situation :cry: ). If he could read the numbers (not me!) then my hand was around the gear knob, so he said it was better.

He was hard core old Roadcraft - he didn't even like fixed input/rotational steering at all.

I loved it :lol:

He is right.

The best way is so that you can see the numbers & it will provide the most consistant results (as I said earlier in times of pressure). Its not so you can see the numbers (not all gear levers will have them on there even). It is to provide the best leverage against the spring loading & to make sure that people push fully against the spring loading before trying to push it into 1st,2nd, 5th or 6th, rather than trying to push across & forward at the sametime (perhaps getting 3rd by mistake)
It is the purists way & what I teach (although that is not IAM or RoADA). But as has been said, if people get reliable results with a slightly slacker approach I'm not going to beat them up over it.

However if they miss & get incorrect gears then I will be saying something about it.

If their steering is not upto scratch I'll definitely do something about that, I don't won't to be sitting beside somebody who's steering is not supremely smooth & balanced at very high speeds in bends.

No matter how good they think they are, a day is spent on a private road just discussing & working on the input of steering, brakes, gears & accelerator before they even get on the public road.
Last edited by vonhosen on Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vonhosen

Postby Lynne » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:28 pm

OK yes sorry forgot about the sweaty palms bit above :shock: I only get sweaty palms when I wear rubber gloves. No... don't ask!! :?

I'll keep to the slightly slacker approach Von :lol:
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:14 pm

LOL Lynne!
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum