Differences between here and the IAM Forum

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Nigel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:45 pm

Well it would be for the right reasons Von, if they had reached some standard or other where we could trust them ( and ourselves)

I find the safe speed for the circumstances is often below the posted limit, but where it is possible to go a little faster and enjoy motoring, I'd like to be allowed too.

I would even take more training to obtain this standard.
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:10 pm

vonhosen wrote:If you told the young that passing IAM or RoADA would entitle them to an exemption from speed limits & instead mean that they could drive at the maximum safe speed for the circumstances without prosecution, they would be beating your door down to join. But it would be for all the wrong reasons.

True. But society needs to sort out what it wants. We punish drivers for breaking rules. We threaten new drivers with taking them back to square one if they transgress in their first two years. All the time it is stick, stick stick. What about the carrot?

Today's involvement saw 18 young drivers who had completed their Pass Plus about three or fours years ago, in a local Road Safety competition. Highway Code questions, vehicle manoeuvrability and assessed drives, with £500 prize money. Other than that how do we reward those who not only maintain their standards, but actually improve?

If any of us knew how to attract more folk into Advanced Driving we would be onto a winner. So in conclusion I can only agree with you... but the fight goes on. :wink:
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby vonhosen » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:34 pm

Nigel wrote:Well it would be for the right reasons Von, if they had reached some standard or other where we could trust them ( and ourselves)

I find the safe speed for the circumstances is often below the posted limit, but where it is possible to go a little faster and enjoy motoring, I'd like to be allowed too.

I would even take more training to obtain this standard.

We've had this discussed before.

Unless there is a massive change in government policy, which includes a tiered speed limit system, the carrot won't be relaxed speed limits for them.

As such teaching or encouraging them to engage in "spirited" driving above our speed limits, may only serve to expose them to losing their licences at present.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby vonhosen » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:50 pm

rlmr wrote:True. But society needs to sort out what it wants. We punish drivers for breaking rules. We threaten new drivers with taking them back to square one if they transgress in their first two years. All the time it is stick, stick stick. What about the carrot?

Today's involvement saw 18 young drivers who had completed their Pass Plus about three or fours years ago, in a local Road Safety competition. Highway Code questions, vehicle manoeuvrability and assessed drives, with £500 prize money. Other than that how do we reward those who not only maintain their standards, but actually improve?

If any of us knew how to attract more folk into Advanced Driving we would be onto a winner. So in conclusion I can only agree with you... but the fight goes on. :wink:

It is indeed a challenge for motor safety organisations to find that elusive (lawful) carrot to get youngsters through the door.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum