Weight transfer mid-S bend

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Gareth » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:11 am

7db wrote:I sometimes conduct whilst I drive (which is pleasing for any francophones).

Not sure about francophones but may I come and play my Stylophone in your car?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:49 am

Gareth wrote:
7db wrote:I sometimes conduct whilst I drive (which is pleasing for any francophones).

Not sure about francophones but may I come and play my Stylophone in your car?

Safety
Smooth
System
Speed
Style[ophone]

No . . . don't think so ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby crr003 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Horse wrote:Safety
Smooth
System
Speed
Style[ophone]

No . . . don't think so ;)

[von]safety system smooth speed......[/von]
crr003

Postby 7db » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:35 pm

As long as you don't play styrofoam - really sets my teeth on edge.
7db

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:43 pm

7db wrote:Music tends to have phrasing with beats, pauses and lifts. So it is with corners. I sometimes conduct whilst I drive (which is pleasing for any francophones).

... or Hispanophones (except South American ones - they prefer to "manage") ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:13 pm

You lot had better watch it. Eutopia had a bit of a moan at me when I once introduced a musical analogy into our driving discussions. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:44 pm

TripleS wrote:You lot had better watch it. Eutopia had a bit of a moan at me when I once introduced a musical analogy into our driving discussions. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Whole new world of pain, "What music do you like to drive with?"
Music as it affects actions.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TripleS wrote:You lot had better watch it. Eutopia had a bit of a moan at me when I once introduced a musical analogy into our driving discussions. :(

Whole new world of pain, "What music do you like to drive with?"
Music as it affects actions.

WhoseGeneration?

# Talkin' 'bout my generation . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm

An update:

Since I first posted about this sequence of bends, chevrons on either side (ie on the rhs approaching the first bend, and the first chevron on the left) have been attacked by cars, and a little further along a tree has gained a regularly-replaced bunch of flowers :(

So I'm not the only one to have problems, perhaps putting my concerns over a little 'body roll' into perspective . . .

The damaged chevrons have recently been replaced, and either end of the set of bends has just gained a set of traffic measuread 'pipes' across the road.
Horse

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi,

As a totally self trained individual here is my take on this for what its worth. I should add that this a car not a bike!

Based purely on the google info my approach would be far enough to the right so as anybody sitting at the junction is left in no doubt as to my intentions, aiming to get all my braking done between the road on the right and the junction, then because by keeping right you can see through the two trees I would start my turn in as I pass the junction, kissing the left bank after the 2nd tree then "create" a short balancing straight by aiming at a point midway between the 1st and 2nd chevrons, going deeper into the corner on a light throttle,(try to avoid any further braking thus keeping the car balanced) as I turn into the right bend at the 2nd chevron my exit view is superb so acceleration as I finish the corner and I'm through.
As space is a little limited on the approach, all this is based on an empty road (like Scotland) and if anybody wants to try my theory at least it will not be my car in the hedge if it doesnt quite work :D

I have a similar though slightly tighter "s" on my way to work which I attack in a similar way, but mine is down hill which means its virtually impossible not to brake in the middle which annoys the hell out of me

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:30 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Hi,

As a totally self trained individual here is my take on this for what its worth. I should add that this a car not a bike!

Based purely on the google info my approach would be far enough to the right so as anybody sitting at the junction is left in no doubt as to my intentions, aiming to get all my braking done between the road on the right and the junction, then because by keeping right you can see through the two trees I would start my turn in as I pass the junction, kissing the left bank after the 2nd tree then "create" a short balancing straight by aiming at a point midway between the 1st and 2nd chevrons, going deeper into the corner on a light throttle,(try to avoid any further braking thus keeping the car balanced) as I turn into the right bend at the 2nd chevron my exit view is superb so acceleration as I finish the corner and I'm through.
As space is a little limited on the approach, all this is based on an empty road (like Scotland) and if anybody wants to try my theory at least it will not be my car in the hedge if it doesnt quite work :D

I have a similar though slightly tighter "s" on my way to work which I attack in a similar way, but mine is down hill which means its virtually impossible not to brake in the middle which annoys the hell out of me

Ivor

People worry too much about braking in bends. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 am

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Hi,

Ta for the contribution :)

Unfortunately, Google is deceptive, and there is little leeway for lateral positioning change.

I may be able to borrow a video system, if so I'll create a shrt clip showing quite how short & tight it really is. But don't hold your breath ;)

As advised much earlier, by a forum member who was kind (and keen) enough to go and drive the road, the only ways, really, to manage the situation are by either a slower overall approach or by briefly slowing immediately prior to the second (right h) bend.
Horse

Postby 7db » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:16 am

TripleS wrote:People worry too much about braking in bends.

It's certainly true that if braking is what's needed in the bend, then braking is what should be done, regardless of dogma.
7db

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am

Hi

I agree with above but try to avoid if possible as I like to keep my car balanced at all times (bit pedantic I know) so I prefer to do all my braking in straight lines only, which is why I will "create" a straight in s bends if I can.

As the number of holes in hedges indicate, a few more drivers should brake in some corners :D

What I do like and this happens on some of our minor roads, is where there is a pronounced negative camber on the inside of a corner, drop the nearside into that and car is flat even at speed, problem solved :D

Ivor (off for beakfast)
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Horse » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote: What I do like and this happens on some of our minor roads, is where there is a pronounced negative camber on the inside of a corner, drop the nearside into that and car is flat even at speed, problem solved

Errr . . . do you mean RH bend with camber? 'Camber' being higher at crown/centre of road
or: Negative crossfall/super elevation?

. . . But on a RH band the left side of the car is lower anyway due to cornering forces.

Sorry, confused! :oops:
Horse

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum