New Chris Gilbert DVDs

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:09 am

TripleS wrote:Yes, I expect it is used widely by normal drivers. What I was thinking was that it would be better if the AD community were to acknowledge that it can legitimately be used more widely.

One of the interesting things for me after watching the video was that no mention of rev-matching was made during the BGOL reference and the clutch is brought up slowly to "smooth out" the change. Is mechanical sympathy being sacrificed in this case?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:30 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
TripleS wrote:Yes, I expect it is used widely by normal drivers. What I was thinking was that it would be better if the AD community were to acknowledge that it can legitimately be used more widely.

One of the interesting things for me after watching the video was that no mention of rev-matching was made during the BGOL reference and the clutch is brought up slowly to "smooth out" the change. Is mechanical sympathy being sacrificed in this case?

Chris

It sounds rather like it, which I find surprising, especially from somebody like CG.

On the other hand it's not the worst case of mechanical sympathy being perhaps a bit suspect. The garage people that do the work on my car were telling me the other day that they've just put the second replacement clutch in a Peugeot 107 - and it's still only done about 6,000 miles. They've seen how the man drives the car, and it is quite clear that the problem can't be blamed on Peugeot.

Three years and 40,000 miles ago they told me that my clutch seemed to be somewhat worn - and I'm sure they were right - but the same one is still in there and working OK with the total mileage now at 147,000. I wonder what is the longest life that anybody has achieved with one clutch - not that Iexpect I'm anywhere near it.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 pm

Ironically, isn't it the higher mileage cars that are most likely to have longer clutch life due to the roads they're driven on (eg long M-way trogs rather than about-town pullaways and up-down through the box)?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby faboka » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:41 pm

I remember my driving instructors diesel fiesta lasting over 100k miles on the original clutch.
John
faboka

Postby vonhosen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:55 pm

StressedDave wrote:My previous car is still on its original clutch after 165k and I have a friend with a Golf VR6 still running the original after over 250k miles.

And as for slurring the change with the clutch rather than rev-matching:

<RobM77>Anyone who can't heel-and-toe isn't an expert driver>/RobM77> :mrgreen:

Can anyone heel-and-toe in every vehicle on the road ?

I haven't had to renew a clutch on any vehicle I've owned. :mrgreen:
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm

vonhosen wrote:

I used to heel-and-toe frequently when I used to drive an old Seddon Atkinson, but that had a Spicer constant mesh gearbox, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I've had a go at heel-and-toe in my car, but not found it particularly easy (perhaps I gave up too soon) or particularly worthwhile.
Kevin

Postby TripleS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 pm

vonhosen wrote:
StressedDave wrote:My previous car is still on its original clutch after 165k and I have a friend with a Golf VR6 still running the original after over 250k miles.

And as for slurring the change with the clutch rather than rev-matching:

<RobM77>Anyone who can't heel-and-toe isn't an expert driver>/RobM77> :mrgreen:

Aye well, highly paid police officers probably change their cars fairly frequently, which is something that a poor OAP can't so easily do. We have to make do with what we've got. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 pm

StressedDave wrote:<RobM77>Anyone who can't heel-and-toe isn't an expert driver>/RobM77> :mrgreen:

Tad unfair?, he not gracing us with his presence here?
About time he was invited?
Cat and pigeons?
My mickey taking aside, I've found the majority of his posts on PH to be of relevance and indicating one who does consider his public road driving in an AD sense.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm

vonhosen wrote:

Of course, this might depend upon for how long and how many miles you have owned those vehicles.
Neither or which you reveal.
WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 pm

StressedDave wrote:Actually, I thought it was remarkably close to his verbatim quote... and my tongue was very, very firmly in my cheek as I typed.

Crumbs, that was quick for here.
Yeah, I appreciate your intent.
One day, I hope, one of those here will meet him and have a drive.
I think he would prove to be very capable and able to argue for any specific actions he uses.
At the very least, would that all other drivers had his ability to think about and analyse their public road driving.
WhoseGeneration

Postby waremark » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:25 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:One day, I hope, one of those here will meet him and have a drive.

Fixed for next week. I expect to find that he is an excellent driver.
waremark

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 pm

waremark wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:One day, I hope, one of those here will meet him and have a drive.

Fixed for next week. I expect to find that he is an excellent driver.

You're one whose opinion will be respected.
Although, "What's said in the car, stays in the car", which is only fair.
He will be an excellent driver, maybe not always conforming to the requirements of certain organisations.
WhoseGeneration

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 am

vonhosen wrote:I haven't had to renew a clutch on any vehicle I've owned. :mrgreen:

I hadn't either until last week. On a car that is 2 1/2 years old with a mere 53k miles on :shock: Time to give Fiat CS a call :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby gannet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
vonhosen wrote:I haven't had to renew a clutch on any vehicle I've owned. :mrgreen:

I hadn't either until last week. On a car that is 2 1/2 years old with a mere 53k miles on :shock: Time to give Fiat CS a call :lol:

Chris

clutch on the z4 was replaced (thankfully at BMW's expense) at about 36k :o

of course I have no idea how the previous owners had treated it.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby TripleS » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 am

ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

Hah, when you say 'CS' I hope you're not expecting to receive assistance from a Customer Service department. If they are anything like Peugeot, you may find you're dealing with a Consumer Affairs department, and the actual service will be abysmal.

It's a shame really. I've found the 406 quite pleasing in itself, in almost ten years of ownership, but my dealings with Peugeot at Coventry were sufficient to put me off buying another car made by them. Their attitude to customers seemed to be very unhelpful. I hope you will get better results with Fiat.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum