New Chris Gilbert DVDs

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Renny » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:25 am

Good Luck Chris. I suspect you may struggle to get any admission of a defect causing failure. Most CS depts these days seem quite adept at side stepping any concept of Customer Care and retention as Dave has found out with Pugeot.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Indeed they were useless. Anything clutch related isn't covered by warranty and so it would be up to me to talk the dealer who diagnosed it into submitting a claim (and even then it probably wouldn't be covered). They also seemed surprised that I'd gone ahead with the repair to get the car back on the road ASAP.

*sigh*

Shame as it's been a fantastic and very reliable car up until now, but if I'm going to be replacing the clutch every two and a half years cos the release bearing's worn out, running costs are soon going to add up!

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:34 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:but if I'm going to be replacing the clutch every two and a half years cos the release bearing's worn out, running costs are soon going to add up!

If only the release bearing was worn why was the clutch changed?

Does a regular driver of the car rest their foot on the clutch pedal?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Apparently it's supplied as a "clutch kit" and so isn't separable. Unfortunately with the car in bits at the dealer I wasn't able to shop around to get a better price.

And no, I'm the only person who drives the car regularly :P

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Indeed they were useless. Anything clutch related isn't covered by warranty and so it would be up to me to talk the dealer who diagnosed it into submitting a claim....
Chris

My first car, in September 1960, was a new Austin-Healey Sprite - known as the frogeye - a lovely little car for the young at heart (and weak in the head, some would say :lol: ). As soon as I got it I began commuting five days a week from Scarborough to Teesside, as a result of which it covered 37,000 miles in its first year. Just as its first year was being completed it needed a new clutch, although IIRC it was basically the release bearing that was worn out. Anyhow, BMC (British Motor Corporation) gave it a complete new clutch assembly under warranty.

In those days the warranty period was 12 months, with no mention of any mileage limitations. Very soon after that they changed the warranty to 12 months/12,000 miles. I've often wondered if I was partly responsible for provoking that change. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Paul_Black » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi folks.
I'm new to the forum and to advanced driving too. My dad is a former advanced driver (he still keeps his skills fresh, just not his membership) and to be honest until I passed my test I never saw the value in it.
After my test though I bought roadcraft, chris gilberts DVD and became a royal pain in the backside to my dad with the number of questions I was asking. I've just contacted my local ROSPA group and intend to take the test as soon as I can.

I'm glad to hear about the new DVDs as I found the first one extremely helpful and not just in regard to commentary driving. I'm also glad that there'll be some in-car footage which I think will be helpful too.

I think that it'd be good if there was some telemetry too like throttle position, gear, that kind of thing... but that probably very expensive...

Anyway, I've rambled on enough when all I meant to say was Hi folks and I'm glad there are more DVDs on the way

Cheers =)
Paul_Black

Postby martine » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi Paul and welcome!

Not sure where you live but I hope you get on well with your local ROSPA group. Keep a lookout for ADUK driving days...there's one in Chepstow coming up very soon - you'd be most welcome to this or any that take your fancy.

Best thing about ADUK in my opinion, is the wide-range of experience you can tap into....IAM/ROSPA/Police/HPC/ADIs/Professional Advanced trainers and TripleS!

Enjoy...and looking forward to your first question!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 pm

My clutch is the original at almost 93K, and thats with learners abusing it. As far as heel & toe is concerned, it is virtually impossible on the Ibiza as the bakes are far too sensitive, and the pedal set up is wrong. The accelerator pedal is lower than the brake.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:29 pm

I had to replace the clutch in my first car within about a month of buying it. I think the parts cost about £25 :)

That was after replacing the radiator the first weekend after it leaked out all the coolant on its maiden journey to show it off to my parents.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 am

martine wrote:Hi Paul and welcome!

Not sure where you live but I hope you get on well with your local ROSPA group. Keep a lookout for ADUK driving days...there's one in Chepstow coming up very soon - you'd be most welcome to this or any that take your fancy.

Best thing about ADUK in my opinion, is the wide-range of experience you can tap into....IAM/ROSPA/Police/HPC/ADIs/Professional Advanced trainers and TripleS!

A variety of viewpoints can often be helpful. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Paul_Black » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm

I've been looking at the forum for a while now but only just signed up now I'm going to e taking the test, and I've already been astonished at the amount of detailed knowledge and expertise in the forum and I can't wait to start asking things.... now if I can only think of something.... :?
Paul_Black

Postby TripleS » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Paul_Black wrote:I've been looking at the forum for a while now but only just signed up now I'm going to be taking the test, and I've already been astonished at the amount of detailed knowledge and expertise in the forum and I can't wait to start asking things.... now if I can only think of something.... :?

Well here's something, just as an example:

How do I ensure that the currently unoccupied area just in front of me in the lane to my left on this roundabout (which has a red traffic light part was round it), is going to remain available for me to use, and that it will not suddenly get occupied by somebody who dives in quickly, and without being spotted by me, just as I'm slowly moving across into that space? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Best wishes all,
Dave - painfully aware of just how easily, and quickly, things can go wrong. :(
TripleS

Postby Paul_Black » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 pm

..... what he said ^^^^^^
Paul_Black

Postby mitchr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Hmm I was about to order the new Chris Gilbert DVD until I spotted that its close to 30 quid. Had anyone seen it yet and is it really worth the money?

Mitch
mitchr

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Seen it and it depends how you define "worth it" ;) Content, detail and presentation are all top quality, but if you're an experienced ADer it may not get many watches....

Chris
ScoobyChris

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum