New Chris Gilbert DVDs

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Horse » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:07 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Seen it and it depends how you define "worth it" ;) Content, detail and presentation are all top quality, but if you're an experienced ADer it may not get many watches....

Chris

Is there an AD 'second hand shop' board? :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Kevin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 am

mitchr wrote:Hmm I was about to order the new Chris Gilbert DVD until I spotted that its close to 30 quid. Had anyone seen it yet and is it really worth the money?

Mitch

It is worth it if you learn something from it. I've seen it and I did learn from it, but unfortunately you won't know if it will benefit you until you watch it for yourself.
Kevin

Postby NalaGee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:30 am

mitchr wrote:Hmm I was about to order the new Chris Gilbert DVD until I spotted that its close to 30 quid. Had anyone seen it yet and is it really worth the money?

Mitch

Its actually 2 DVDs' Mitch, with lots of info'. the graphics are cleverly done that really get over
various points better than the printed word can.

I believe that if you are really into advanced driving, one can always learn something new or
at the very least improve on their present driving skills.

Chris Gilbert has obviously put a lot of time and effort in producing these and the cost of them
is worthwhile if you think of the alternatives, such as paying high tuition fees to attend one of
the advanced driving schools, say for half or complete one off day!!!

Plus, any questions you may have Chris is only an Email away to give you a fairly prompt answer.
NalaGee

Postby mitchr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 am

OK you lot have convinced me :lol: I am new to advanced driving so I reckon I will learn a fair bit from the DVD. Plus if I go on to become an observer I'm sure it will help out with that as well.

Mitch
mitchr

Postby Kevin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 am

mitchr wrote:OK you lot have convinced me :lol: I am new to advanced driving so I reckon I will learn a fair bit from the DVD. Plus if I go on to become an observer I'm sure it will help out with that as well.

Mitch

As you're new to advanced driving, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend getting them. I'm not new to advanced driving (not wishing to give away my age :) ), but, as I've said, I still benefited from them and I'm glad I made the purchase.
Kevin

Postby AnalogueAndy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Just watched both of the new DVDs 'Night and Day'.

I was wondering about the benefit and usefulness of including the 'Being Followed' advice and the 'Friendly Follow'.

I suppose the answer is Chris says he was asked 'many times' to include them so he has.

On the first, having been involved in anti-surveillance training I can see the benefit in specific circumstances but wonder more generally how useful ordinary members of the public will find it? I suppose the answer is that not that it happens so often it's worth training for but that it can be serious if it does, so it is :)

I'm less clear on the benefit of the ‘friendly follow’ segment (which is a precursor to police pursuit driver training).

To quote Chris "The object being to plan well ahead of the leading vehicle so that all options are covered, thus, a different form of commentary will be heard. This chapter runs for an exciting 25 minutes. All speed limits are adhered to as well as all the regulations of the road, as you might expect. To my knowledge this is the first time this type of driving has been shown on a DVD. I know it is eagerly awaited by many."

I know that many police driver trainers are recommending officers undergoing training buy his DVDs. Are they his target audience I wonder?
AnalogueAndy

Postby AnalogueAndy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:41 pm

I should add that the rest of the package is excellent. Better quality filming. Some great use of graphics and 'inset' images.

(BTW Did anyone spot his missing the bike race (Time Trial) taking place on the road he was using during the follow? Signs, marshalls, spectators, riders with race numbers!- He only mentions it later when passing Race HQ.)
AnalogueAndy

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:43 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote: On the first, having been involved in anti-surveillance training

'Anti-'? Wossat, then?

AnalogueAndy wrote: I'm less clear on the benefit of the ‘friendly follow’ segment (which is a precursor to police pursuit driver training).

To quote Chris "The object being to plan well ahead of the leading vehicle so that all options are covered, thus, a different form of commentary will be heard. This chapter runs for an exciting 25 minutes. All speed limits are adhered to as well as all the regulations of the road, as you might expect. To my knowledge this is the first time this type of driving has been shown on a DVD. I know it is eagerly awaited by many."

I know that many police driver trainers are recommending officers undergoing training buy his DVDs. Are they his target audience I wonder?

The Met's '999 Final drive' was quite entertaining. Sadly, not yet made it to Youtube. If anyone has a video or DVD of it, I'd love a copy. I lent mine out and it was never returned . . . :(
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Horse wrote:The Met's '999 Final drive' was quite entertaining. Sadly, not yet made it to Youtube. If anyone has a video or DVD of it, I'd love a copy. I lent mine out and it was never returned . . . :(

There's a blue light run at the tail end of Chris's original DVD, which I have, so is that what you're referring to; or is there another (different) blue light run on one of his later DVDs?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 pm

TripleS wrote:
Horse wrote:The Met's '999 Final drive' was quite entertaining. Sadly, not yet made it to Youtube. If anyone has a video or DVD of it, I'd love a copy. I lent mine out and it was never returned . . . :(

There's a blue light run at the tail end of Chris's original DVD, which I have, so is that what you're referring to; or is there another (different) blue light run on one of his later DVDs?

No, his blue light run is on Youtube.

'999 Final Drive' is supposedly a Hendon trainee's final drive. It actually features a Sgt instructor doing the driving and the 'examiner' was the then 'Guvnor' of the school (IIRC).

It's in two halves, first is a simulated 999 call where the driver follows directions from the passenger and has to make progress; he does :)

Second half is a simulated 'bandit' pursuit. Driver the same, but now in a manual rather than auto-box car (both Rover SD1s). Gist is "follow that car" and orf they jolly well go!

Bearing in mind the number of 'out-take' programmes on TV, it's worth noting that both halves are done as single 'takes', the only edit is in the pursuit when another car gets in between - briefly - at a roundabout.
Horse

Postby slippeddisc » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 pm

That sounds tasty!

Horse, do you have more info? Where can I see this?

Regards,

S.
slippeddisc

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 pm

slippeddisc wrote: Where can I see this?

Join the Met? :)

Either that, or find an ex-met trafpol who 'acquired' a copy.

Sorry, can't help more.
Horse

Postby AnalogueAndy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Horse wrote:
AnalogueAndy wrote: On the first, having been involved in anti-surveillance training

'Anti-'? Wossat, then?

I'd have to shoot you if I told you :wink:

In the context of Chris' video, a lone woman fears someone is following her and he shows the various techniques to 'check' (e.g. all the way around the roundabout, off and on the slip roads).
AnalogueAndy

Postby mitchr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:08 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:Just watched both of the new DVDs 'Night and Day'.

I was wondering about the benefit and usefulness of including the 'Being Followed' advice and the 'Friendly Follow'.

Andy I just watched the Night dvd for the first time a few days ago and I found the "Being Followed" advice very useful. Until watching it I would have had no idea what to do in the event of being followed. As rare as it may be it is useful to know what to do in these circumstances so that panic doesn't set in.

Mitch
mitchr

Postby IanB » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:50 am

For those interested Chris' latest double DVD is now available entitled "Ultimate Driving Craft 3 Eyes on Main Beam".
IanB

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Driving Forum