Keep Straight on to the end of the road

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Tim Keenan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Refering to the thickness of the lines on the roundabout sign, The thicker line denotes the principle route not the amount of carriage ways that it contains.
Tim Keenan

Postby 7db » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:44 pm

I've been wondering about this over the past few roundabouts...
7db

Postby OldenBill » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi there.

I was most grateful for the various responses to my original query and whenever I need to, I do indeed "go round again".

However, as "merge in turn" seems to be known by less and less motorists resulting in so much aggression and with most left and straight on vehicles all waiting in the same nearside lane and leaving the offside one empty, I would appreciate further informed advice.

Basically, forgetting the warning road sign aspect, when vehicles on a roundabout both signal their intention to exit left, and the offside one is ahead, what is the current priority? Is the behind vehicle entitled to "undertake" at speed? Is the advance vehicle deemed "cutting in" or merely merging in turn?

I'm aware of all the road safety aspects but would appreciate your wisdom on received driving practice.

Many thanks, Olden.
OldenBill

Postby akirk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:33 pm

generally a car ahead has priority over one behind who doesn't have a 'right' to overtake / undertake...

the highway code / law is not perfect for every situation, but a lot of this is possible to sort out simply, by managing the road / traffic / yourself for your desired outcome:
- observe how the other driver(s) are driving - if you have a boy-racer next to you when merging - keep your speed up in the dual-carriageway, but drop back slightly to merge - you will both move away from following traffic and the boy-racer's momentum will create a space you can drop into... - if you have an elderly slow driver, add some momentum to merge ahead - i.e. suit your driving to match / adapt
- use road position to control what happens - choose the point at which you will merge earlier or later to suit other traffic
- choose what you do according to your car - could you out-accelerate them, or could they make it difficult for you - if you are in your ferrari and they are in a micra, a quick burst of juice gives you the edge :)

etc.

just bear in mind that whatever the highway code might say, other drivers will have their own interpretation / approach - your drive needs to fit in with that, not rely on a correct interpretation...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:42 pm

[quote="akirk"] if you are in your ferrari and they are in a micra, a quick burst of juice gives you the edge :)

Not necessarily, if the micra is driven by Vanman :twisted: :twisted:
IAM National Observer. Chair, E. Surrey IAM.
skodatezzer

Postby OldenBill » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:31 pm

That could be the problem; at my age I am that Micra!! :D

Perhaps I should reiterate that my original enquiry referred to a situation where the roundabout has two approach lanes but the exit is reduced to one.

I find that however well I monitor nearside traffic in my mirrors (including a glance through the kerbside windows), so often a fast moving vehicle will appear from nowhere and accelerate in an attempt to pass thru' on the left, becoming furiously aggrieved if I dare to complete my signalled manoeuvre.
OldenBill

Postby triquet » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Mrs T used to have an elderly aunt living in a care home on Hayling Island and there is a fun bit where you leave the A27 by a light-controlled roundabout. There is then a glitch going down towards Langstone where the road goes down two lanes to one shortly after the lights. It's always busy and there is great deal of revving and zooming off as people head South towards Hayling island. The attached doesn't show it to its best. :D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.84742 ... !2e0?hl=en
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm

7db wrote:In general, Dave's maxim has roundabouts pretty much covered. I need a good reason to break it.

I think you are referring to Stressed Dave's (a member on this forum) advice that on a roundabout, it is best to avoid being alongside another vehicle?

I agree, but the OP describes a scenario of congested traffic, where this advice would be probably useless.

Edit - I didn't realise this was a thread resurrection, so ignore the above. If no one has queried this in five years, then it's probably irrelevant.
Custom24

Postby revian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 pm

kfae8959 wrote:
GJD wrote:Caxton Giblet

A place of gravy danger...

And time to play chicken...
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 pm

revian wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:
GJD wrote:Caxton Giblet

A place of gravy danger...

And time to play chicken...

We'll have less of your fowl language around here!
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:32 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:We'll have less of your fowl language around here!

Huh, comedians: don't you just love 'em? :roll:

....and I've just noticed that (above four years ago) vonhosen said "Nowt wrong with merge in turn." I didn't expect that sort of torque from a refined southerner. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 pm

TripleS wrote:

....and I've just noticed that (above four years ago) vonhosen said "Nowt wrong with merge in turn." I didn't expect that sort of torque from a refined southerner. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

P'haps he comes from (London accent) uup naaarth.
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:16 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

P'haps he comes from (London accent) uup naaarth.

Maybe he does. Certainly he didn't fail to notice when I once admitted to not being a genuine Yorkshireman.
TripleS

Postby revian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:06 pm

TripleS wrote: I once admitted to not being a genuine Yorkshireman.

By the powers invested in me as a natural born Tyke... I hearby confer Tyke citizenship on you. Mines a pint...Old Peculiar preferably...
Wirral
revian

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum