Bus lane Traffic que.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby PeteG » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:07 pm

And they could well be tranpsporting a prisoner to the cells before going back on patrol...
PeteG

Postby James » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Police vehicles actually do not have an exemption to use a bus lane, it just seems to be "accepted" that they do so. I work on the principle that "Ken Livingstone promised not to issue tickets to police vehicles using bus lanes" and so far I know of nobody including myself to have been given a ticket.
James

Postby VinnyP! » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:56 pm

James wrote:Police vehicles actually do not have an exemption to use a bus lane, it just seems to be "accepted" that they do so. I work on the principle that "Ken Livingstone promised not to issue tickets to police vehicles using bus lanes" and so far I know of nobody including myself to have been given a ticket.

They do not have an exemption under the RTA or TRSGD as they do not for one way sytems etc since each individual restriction is a the result of a seperate transport regulation order.

However fear not the exemption for these circumstances comes from the traffic regulation order that sets them up they have a standard wording that includes a myriad of things but always emergency vehicles.

The usual wording for a bus lane is:

Nothing in this regulation will apply so as to prevent a vehicle stopping in a bus lane for as long as may be necessary-
(a) to enable a person to get on or off the vehicle; or

(b) to enable goods to be loaded on to or unloaded from the vehicle;
if and in so far as the activity is not prohibited by the provisions of any other order.

Exemptions
4. - (1) The controls .... do not apply in respect of a vehicle which is being used for a purpose which is within the exemption to a restriction or prohibition imposed by any other order made under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or which is permitted by any other order.

(2) The controls .... do not apply in respect of a vehicle stopping in a bus lane if the vehicle is being used in-
(a) the service of a local authority for the purpose of collecting refuse;

(b) the pursuance of any statutory duty of the Post Office for the purpose of collecting or delivering letters provided the vehicle bears the Royal Mail livery;

(c) connection with the removal of any obstruction to traffic;

(d) connection with the maintenance, improvement or reconstruction of any road;

(e) connection with the maintenance, improvement or construction of any street furniture including bus stop infrastructure;

(f) connection with any building operation or demolition;

(g) connection with the laying, erection, alteration or repair in or near the bus lane of any sewer or of any main, pipe or apparatus for the supply of gas, water or electricity, or of any telecommunications apparatus as defined in paragraph 1(1) of Schedule 2 of the Telecommunications Act 1984[5];

if the vehicle cannot be used for that purpose without being in the bus lane and in so far as the activity is not prohibited by the provisions of any other order made under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

(3) The controls .... do not apply in respect of-
(a) a vehicle entering or stopping in a bus lane so as to avoid an accident;

(b) a vehicle entering or stopping in a bus lane to allow a person to get or give help in consequence of an accident or emergency or otherwise take action for public safety;

(c) a vehicle crossing a bus lane in order to get to or from any road adjacent to the bus lane or any vehicular access to premises adjacent to the bus lane;

(d) a vehicle being in a bus lane to such an extent and for such a time as is needed to comply with any requirement resulting from works or an emergency in any part of the road adjoining the bus lane;

(e) a vehicle being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes;

(f) a vehicle stopping in a bus lane if it has lawfully entered the bus lane and it has to stop-
(i) by law;

(ii) to avoid an accident;

(iii) in circumstances beyond the driver's control;
(g) anything done with the permission or at the direction of a police constable in uniform or a traffic warden.
Being an advanced driver is like being the Boss ... If you have to tell people you are, then you are not!
VinnyP!

Postby James » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:26 pm

VinnyP! wrote:
(e) a vehicle being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes;

[

Police purposes is different to everyday driving of police vehicles from A to B. What I am saying is that police vehicles (as I know them to do) use bus lanes whether on way to a call (as permitted as above) or otherwise (as not permitted as above).
James

Postby VinnyP! » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:30 pm

Not sure where you get that from?? A police purpose is any authorised police function, patrolling is a police function as is attending court. It does not need to be a police emergency or even a police vehicle.

It is often confused with the other TRSGD exemptions. It differs from these in that you do not need to say how the purpose would be hampered if the bus lane was complied with. If one of my officers gets a bus lane notice all I have to do is confirm they were on duty, that's the only information that is supplied to the ticket office. It's a completely different set of forms for speeding then I have to certify that the purpose would be hampered if the speed limit was complied with and (as we have just been told) that they were trained to drive at high speed.
Being an advanced driver is like being the Boss ... If you have to tell people you are, then you are not!
VinnyP!

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:29 am

VinnyP! wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:Having said that, I've seen police cars going along it to get to the station (and never with B/2 or any visible *ahem* "guests") which doesn't help, either!

In my view they should set an example unless there is a reason not to. However it's important to remember that, unlike exceeding the posted speed limit and certain traffic signs ,there is no necessity requirement for an emergency services vehicle driving in a bus lane they have as much legal right as a bus or taxi to be there and derive the right from the same order which creates the bus lane.

Really? I don't recall seeing that in the highway code or anything, but then I'm not a police driver, so I guess I don't "need to know" that. I would've expected, though, that it would fall into the same category as the "go through red lights" and other such dispensations, it don't see how it can be justified when there's not an incident or other such "police business" to get to...

Of course, if the signs had a bus a bike and a wee car with a flashing light on the roof, that'd be nice :D

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum