I do foresee that the 'official' RoADAR blog...

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby JPJPJP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:28 pm

will not be especially popular and I will be surprised if it gets more than 20 decent contributions posts before the close of 2010

http://roadarbloggers.wordpress.com/

in the days of lightly moderated discussion boards, who on earth dreamt up the idea of a pre-approval needed blog and thought: 'Yes, that's a good idea!'
JPJPJP

Postby TiJay » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 pm

As someone whose job involves overseeing a company's social media activities, I can understand the pre-approval thing. They're not independent like ADUK and have to protect their "brand". Discussions about dubious (in the eyes of the official IAM "policy") activities may be fine here but you wouldn't see it on their website because they can't be seen to endorse it.

If you see what I mean. :)
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby JPJPJP » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:10 pm

TiJay wrote:As someone whose job involves overseeing a company's social media activities, I can understand the pre-approval thing. They're not independent like ADUK and have to protect their "brand". Discussions about dubious (in the eyes of the official IAM "policy") activities may be fine here but you wouldn't see it on their website because they can't be seen to endorse it.

fair comment, but I suspect it can only end one way - with a desolate blog that hardly anyone ever looks at
JPJPJP

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 pm

TiJay wrote:As someone whose job involves overseeing a company's social media activities, I can understand the pre-approval thing. They're not independent like ADUK and have to protect their "brand". Discussions about dubious (in the eyes of the official IAM "policy") activities may be fine here but you wouldn't see it on their website because they can't be seen to endorse it.

They could though, provide rational argument as to why "dubious" is not appropriate.
To just censor is the mark of those not able to justify their position.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby JPJPJP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 am

the cheeky side of me wonders if the RoADAR admin team have passed a RoADAR test
JPJPJP

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am

Two posts in two days, then nothing for almost a month?

Don't have a lot to say, do they - especially for a team effort . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TiJay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Not a surprise to be honest. You see a lot of blogs/Twitter pages etc that a company puts up because they thought it was something cool to do or the man in charge told them to because it's the "in" thing, then realise they don't have the time or inclination to keep it up.

Sad really, because social media can open so many opportunities...
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:19 pm

TiJay wrote:Not a surprise to be honest. You see a lot of blogs/Twitter pages etc that a company puts up because they thought it was something cool to do or the man in charge told them to because it's the "in" thing, then realise they don't have the time or inclination to keep it up.

TBH a few days . . . or week or two . . . can go by between posts on mine (see sig link), but I try to make the effort to stick something up on it every few days.

Also, I'll cheat by post-dating a series of posts for later 'public appearance', giving the feeling of regular updates.

As for content, I'll put a variety on it, from serious training-related posts, through news items to jokey stuff.

Oddly enough, the most 'popular' page from Google has been one about Zil limos!

That said, I don't make any particular effort to get them 'SEO'-ey, with matched title, keywords, and larded content. However, if the reason for the blog changes, that may change too! :)

Thank you for listening. This could have been a blog post!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:19 pm

5 posts in 4 months . . .
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 pm

At least they have a vaguely motoring theme and a slightly nicer skin since I nagged them about it :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:At least they have a vaguely motoring theme and a slightly nicer skin since I nagged them about it :)

:) Now tell them to populate it with stuff worth reading . . . ;)

It doesn't have to be - for example - daily updates, but more importantly 'quality content' ie the less often you post the better (longer, more relevant) the posts have to be.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm

The thing is that "they" don't populate it. They advertised it (badly) for their members to submit content. They've just re-advertisted it, in a newsletter that has a tiny circulation (for example, it doesn't include me, as the chairman of a local group, but I was forwarded a copy), and are expecting the members to flood them with content. I tried to explain that that ain't gonna happen any time soon, but I don't think I got through.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby crr003 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:They've just re-advertisted it, in a newsletter that has a tiny circulation (for example, it doesn't include me, as the chairman of a local group, but I was forwarded a copy),......

Odd, I receive it?
Just noticed the membership fee increase this year - a huge 12.5% :shock:
crr003

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm

crr003 wrote:Odd, I receive it?
How often?
crr003 wrote:Just noticed the membership fee increase this year - a huge 12.5% :shock:

Yep - £2.50 - yikes!
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby crr003 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
crr003 wrote:Odd, I receive it?
How often?

Monthly? I haven't kept them all. Got one in Jan.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
crr003 wrote:Just noticed the membership fee increase this year - a huge 12.5% :shock:

Yep - £2.50 - yikes!

It's more impressive as a percentage! Still can't get near the IAM 60% increase - amateurs!
crr003

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum