advanced driving advice

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby craig_h » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:02 am

hi everyone, this is my 1st post so please be patient. I am just looking for some general advise regarding the advanced driver test and how to go about it. Firstly i'm 22 had my licence for 5 years (also have full bike licence but not interested in that yet), some may think i'm a little young/inexperianced to do the advanced test but its something i'm really interested in. I have looked around various websites including the IAM website and i THINK this would be the best route for me to go down (??), my questions are about the test itself really; What is the marking criteria for the test? is it like the learner test using minor marks etc, or is their no exact criteria and its down to the observors discretion? Do you take the test at a DVLA test center?? and finally is their a required amount of 'lessons' or observed hours that must be taken before being able to take the test? Sorry for the essay and the basic questions but any help is appreciated. Thanks alot, Craig
craig_h

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:19 am

Firstly, let me congratulate you on deciding to take further driver training - I expect the IAM will be suitable for you. Now let me answer your specific questions:

You have quite enough driving experience for it to be appropriate for you to prepare for and take an advanced driving test. The IAM specify only that candidates must have held a full license for at least three months.

Advanced tests are offered by several organisations, of which the IAM conducts far the most tests. The IAM is a charity, and its tests are conducted by its own examiners who all hold a police advanced driving qualification. When you are ready to take your IAM test, you are put in touch with a local examiner via the head office, and meet for the test at a mutually convenient location for a drive of about 75 minutes. The DSA, who conduct learner tests, approve the advanced tests offered by the IAM and others, but are otherwise not involved in the process in any way.

The marking of IAM tests is completely different from DSA learner tests. It may feel like a subjective assessment, and it is certainly a matter of an overall assessment rather than being allowed a certain number of faults. However, the examiner actually makes a an assessment of your level of ability in about 26 different driving skills, marking each from 1 excellent to 5 poor. In order to pass your scores have to meet certain criteria (others will have more detail, but this gives you a good idea of the marking). It has to be said that anything which would be considered a serious or dangerous fault in the learner driver test would probably also cause you to fail the IAM test.

If you buy IAM Skill for Life your package includes Observed Drives with a local group of the IAM. On the IAM website Vicki BH tells you that you will get 6 Observed Drives. In practise this varies from group to group, with some operating a fixed number of drives, and some allowing each candidate to take the number of drives they need to reach the appropriate standard - which could be anything from say 4 to say 20. The Observers are unpaid volunteers, so whatever you think of the Skill for Life price this training is actually extremely good value.

Of the other organisations offering an advanced driving test, Rospa Advanced Riders and Drivers works in a very similar way to the IAM; it has fewer groups, and probably not such a good insurance deal, but if there is an efficient group local to you you may get the same sort of experience for rather less money. A ROADAR pass is graded bronze, silver or gold, and a three yearly retest is required for continued membership of ROADAR, the cost of which is included within the £20 annual subscription. RAC/BSM is a commercial organisation and operates completely differently, through local BSM offices, with a specific fee per session. Their test is assessed in a more similar way to the DSA learner test.

Whichever route you choose, and whatever your current level of driving, you will learn to increase the standard of your observation, anticipation and planning, and you will probably be a safer driver as well as enjoying your driving more (unless you are Triple S of this forum, who did not hold with his Observer!!).
waremark

Postby GJD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 am

craig_h wrote:hi everyone, this is my 1st post so please be patient. I am just looking for some general advise regarding the advanced driver test and how to go about it. Firstly i'm 22 had my licence for 5 years (also have full bike licence but not interested in that yet), some may think i'm a little young/inexperianced to do the advanced test but its something i'm really interested in. I have looked around various websites including the IAM website and i THINK this would be the best route for me to go down (??), my questions are about the test itself really; What is the marking criteria for the test? is it like the learner test using minor marks etc, or is their no exact criteria and its down to the observors discretion? Do you take the test at a DVLA test center?? and finally is their a required amount of 'lessons' or observed hours that must be taken before being able to take the test? Sorry for the essay and the basic questions but any help is appreciated. Thanks alot, Craig

Hello Craig.

First of all, you're not too young and you're not too inexperienced, so don't worry about that.

You've found the IAM. Your other option for advanced driving is RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders. Both organisations are similar in their goals and method - to the extent that many people suggest it makes more difference whether your local group is well run and you get on with them than whether it happens to be IAM or RoADAR.

Both organisations use volunteer observers (that's the IAM's name for them, RoADAR calls them tutors) who coach you towards the test standard. Within my RoADAR group, there was no minimum or maximum number of hours before you can take the test - everyone learns at different rates. My local IAM group is the same. The test isn't at a DVLA test centre because it's not run by DVLA - for my RoADAR test I met my examiner at his house. I found the feel of the advanced test much less rigid than the DVLA learner test. My examiner didn't record individual events as they occurred (like minor faults on the DVLA test). Rather, he sat there forming a general impression of my driving. At the end, he talked to me about some particular points (good ones and bad ones) that he'd noticed, and told me I'd passed. But he was still assessing specific aspects of my driving (observation, cornering, vehicle sympathy, use of gears ... you get the idea). I got a test report covering my performance in all the specific areas. That was with RoADAR. I understand it's similar in IAM.

Whereabouts in the country are you? There might be someone here who is near you and could recommend an IAM or RoADAR group for you to get in touch with.
GJD

Postby ROG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm

What the examiner expects on an IAM test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the examiner expects on the test is based on the Police system of car/bike control and is clearly defined in the IAM's own manual ‘How to be a better driver/rider’ - available separately from our online shop or included as part of our Skill for Life package.

The content of the IAM’s manual is very broad and as a guideline your drive should be based on these main headings relating to advanced driving. Please note, the sections below refer to driving, but the principles are not dissimilar for riding.

Safe
Safety is the most important aspect for any road user to achieve and is the main reason the IAM advanced test should be taken. Advanced driving is about educating the driver and improving their safety, as well as that of their passengers and other road users. The importance of safety is ingrained throughout the IAM test and examiners have a policy of, ‘If you put the car in danger, you fail’.

Systematic
Advanced drivers are taught to drive using ‘the system’ which is derived from the Police ‘Roadcraft’ system of car control and has been used successfully by the IAM since 1956. This system teaches drivers to approach situations and negotiate hazards in a methodical and flexible manner. Nothing is left to luck or chance, so safety is instantly increased.

Smoothness
If the driver uses the system of car control efficiently, it allows their handling and observation skills to be correctly co-ordinated, always ensuring a smooth, safe and systematic drive. As well as improving the comfort of the journey for driver and passengers, this also increases economical fuel use.

Progress
Often incorrectly translated to mean speed, this is the ability to make good progress when safe to do so and is an important skill that advanced drivers should possess. Safety should never be compromised, and progress should only be used when safe and appropriate to do so. Excessive or inappropriate speed, regardless of any limit, is dangerous and unacceptable. Speed limits are exactly that – limits, not targets, and advanced drivers know when they need to impose their own speed restraints (below the statutory limits) depending on the circumstances.

Restraint
Restraint is the ability to recognise when to hold back from particular hazards to ensure the safety and reassurance of passengers and other road users. Advanced drivers learn this skill through continued practice, improving their ability to recognise potential danger.

What the examiner looks for

The examiner will assess the entire drive, expecting the driver to exhibit the qualities of a safe, systematic, smooth, progressive and balanced drive. The examiner will be honest in evaluating your overall ability, paying particular attention to confidence and competence at all times, and will look for both positive and negative traits. The driver must ensure the vehicle is always in the correct position on the road, travelling at the right speed, in the right gear and can always stop the vehicle safely. If these qualities are demonstrated throughout the test, you will succeed in becoming an advanced driver
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi craig, and welcome!

An alternative is the DIAmond advanced test, run by the Driving Instructors Association, which does use the DSA format albeit to a higher level.

TBH, find the most local group and give it a go, the differences will only really become more interesting as you develop your skill.

One of the main things you'll learn is how to look much further ahead. The next thing is to make better decisions earlier, based on what you see.

Try some of these; they're 'bike' related but still useable in cars:
http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/diy ... ining.html

Treat yourself to Chris Gilbert's first DVD, it's a great example to emulate. Find clips on Google, 'Driving 4 Tomorrow' IIRC.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TiJay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi Craig, you're definitely not too young. I passed my IAM test at 18 (I'm now 21) :lol:

You can also take a "Fast Track" IAM course of 6 hours spread over 2 half-days followed by a test a couple of weeks later. It's a bigger upfront cost (£400ish now?) but my car insurance premium went down by £550 come renewal time so make of that what you will!
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby martine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:24 pm

TiJay wrote:...(£400ish now?)...

Just to clarify, IAM Fast Track is £460.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby craig_h » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm

:D thank you all so much for you advise, it really is appreciated. I am not really in a rush to complete the test, i think i would rather take my time, read the book/highway code etc and do it that way. I have followed the links posted and again found more good information. I am based in the Liverpool/widnes are of the north west, does anybody know of any local(ish) groups to here or is there an online list anywhere? Also one final question about the test, is the actual test observed by a different observer/tutor than the person who has been 'teaching' you (for want of a better word) or do they double up as an examiner?? again sorry about the basic questions but i am slowly getting there. Thnaks, Craig
craig_h

Postby daz6215 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm

£460, how many hours tuition for that then?
daz6215

Postby daz6215 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm

craig_h wrote::D thank you all so much for you advise, it really is appreciated. I am not really in a rush to complete the test, i think i would rather take my time, read the book/highway code etc and do it that way. I have followed the links posted and again found more good information. I am based in the Liverpool/widnes are of the north west, does anybody know of any local(ish) groups to here or is there an online list anywhere? Also one final question about the test, is the actual test observed by a different observer/tutor than the person who has been 'teaching' you (for want of a better word) or do they double up as an examiner?? again sorry about the basic questions but i am slowly getting there. Thnaks, Craig

Craig, it will be a different person who conducts the test!
daz6215

Postby TiJay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Daz: 6 hours, the IAM book and the test... £76 an hour essentially :lol: Think it was £320 or something when I did it, so a more reasonable £53 per hour... ;)
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby daz6215 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:16 pm

TiJay wrote:Daz: 6 hours, the IAM book and the test... £76 an hour essentially :lol: Think it was £320 or something when I did it, so a more reasonable £53 per hour... ;)

Thanks TiJay, I think I may be not charging enough! lol :shock:
daz6215

Postby craig_h » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

thanks daz, just wanted to clear that up.

I have done a litle searching around this site and found my local group in Widnes, so just conacted them. Thanks
craig_h

Postby ROG » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

craig_h wrote:I have done a litle searching around this site and found my local group in Widnes, so just conacted them. Thanks

Let us know what happens from now as I suspect many might wish to know how one local group proceeds from this point and getting the view of a new associate on this is always good feedback
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby craig_h » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm

yes ROG i will keep this post updated once i get a reply to the e-mail i sent.
craig_h

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum