Preparing for IAM test

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby adey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:25 pm

hello all

have no taken a number of observed runs and have had my senior observed run. I have put in for my test and that has been booked for 15th march at 9am. I have had an observed drive yesterday and my final observed drive today. what things can I do now to improve and stay super sharp in preparation for my test on Tuesday.

many thanks

adrian
59 plate Nissan Note
IAM Test Pass on 15th March 2011
IAM Member at Plymouth Advanced Motorists
adey

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Practice the perfect!

Hopefully you have a clear idea from the training what is needed. Set yourself 'targets' of what you need to do, and 'mark' yourself on how well you'er doing. Concentrate on what you need to do differently and how to do it.

And enjoy it :)

Oh - Don't be negative ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ROG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 pm

You should now be driving naturally as an advanced driver so for your test you really need to ...............

....................... DRIVE NORMALLY :D

That is what the examiner wants to see you do
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:51 pm

ROG is right. Now is the time to relax just a little. The best result, I believe, is achieved through over-training then then driving within your capabilities on test. It's similar to altitude training for athletes.
zadocbrown

Postby graham25 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm

I'd like to add my agreement to all that's been said and in addition offer the following.............

I know it's an old one but remember 'you never get a second chance to make a first impression'. With that in mind consider the following.

1. On Tuesday arrive 15 minutes before the apponted time and if you're meeting in a car park reverse park your car if possible to give yourself a good exit.

2. Present a showroom condition car with windows cleaned inside and out.

3. Know your tyre(s) condition and the remaining tread depth on all tyres. You could be asked this. Also know where your oil dipstick is and your water coolant tank and all other routine maintenace items. Yes, there are still people who don't this.

4. Weather permitting stand my your car in a business like manner waiting for the arrival of the examiner. Have all of your documents ready for the examiner.

When you've done this just relax and enjoy the drive.

The above by itself won't guarantee you a pass but in my view it will give you a good start and go someway to boost your confidence level.

Good luck for next Tuesday and post a reply to this thread to let us know how you get on.

Graham
Advanced Tutor - Northants RoADAR group
Senior Observer - Northampton IAM group
[size=85]Graham
Training Officer and RoADAR Advanced Tutor - Northants RoADAR
IAM National Observer
IAM Masters Distinction
IAM Masters Mentor
graham25

Postby DugS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Adey,

I was in your position quite recently. I'll echo what everyone has said. Relax and look forward to the test.

Give your car a good clean if you have the time, you don't have to go over the top but a smart car will give you a little boost in confidence and as has been said make a good first impression. Check your tyre pressures and fluids and make sure all electricals are working (this will probably be regular practice anyway.)

Top up your highway code knowledge but don't try and memorise the whole book (it will drive you mad, I know), it can vary but it is likely you will get some sort of HC question.

Might sound daft but make sure you know how to get to your meeting point and that you allow plenty of time if driving at busy times, I was about 30 mins early for my test which was a good job as my examiner was 15 mins early and jumped straight in the car.

Documents documents documents - do not forget these. Put them in a folder and put them safe in the car a day before.

Above all your observer thinks you are ready, you have had your check drive so just drive how you have been doing so with them. The examiner wants you to pass!

Good luck let us know how you get on.
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 am

wishing you the best of luck for your test on Tuesday :D :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:14 am

Hi,,

Add my good luck wishes to above :D

Like everybody has said, relax, enjoy, thats what driving is all about.

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby DugS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:28 am

Is your test today Adey? If so have a good drive!
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 am

And he's off . . . :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby adey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

well back from test and I am glad to say I passed. I received 5 Excellent Marks (Eco-Drving,Vehicle Sympathy, Concentration, Courtesy & Legality) and 22 Good marks. There were no 3s, 4s or 5s. The examiner remarked "a good, safe & progressive drive. A good commentary with lots of relevant content". He also recommended me for observer training.

He advised me to watch my steering input and recommended generally more mirror checks. we also went under a bridge I mentioned the sign warning but didn't mention the height restriction. he asked what the restriction was but I said I didn't know due to it not affecting me directly. I also meant to say that IF I were following a tall vehicle i would have kept back much further to allow time for he vehicle to pass under, before attempting to pass myself.

I walked over to meet him but nerves were shown when going through the cockpit drill I went to turn on the ignition and realised I left the car keys in my coat pocketon the back seat.

From the accounts and remarks from my observer (who observes both IAM and Rospa associates), he believes that the examiners pass marks would approximately equate to a Rospa Silver award.

so here's to a new chapter in my driving experience

thanks to all who helped on here and also to Jim Copper my Senior Observer. Also a special Thank you to Tom Linton who was my observer.

adrian
59 plate Nissan Note
adey

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

:D Well done!
Horse

Postby hir » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

adey wrote:
He advised me to watch my steering input

Adrian, congratulations, it sounds as thought the examiner was impressed with your drive!

As an IAM observer and RoSPA tutor may I ask you what you think the examiner meant when he said...watch your steering input?

Many thanks, and once again, congratulations.
hir

Postby adey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:01 pm

on one or two occasions during the rural drive i went through a corner where i didnt pull push. both arms stayed at 10 - 2 rather than pull push. i would guess that arms were probably at about 12 and 5 rather than had i used pull push, this was done on corners at around 40mph. however through most if not all the other part of the drive i used pull push.

i think i occasionally do this because i also race go karts where you constantly keep your hands in the steering position.

hope this helps

adrian
59 plate Nissan Note
adey

Postby ROG » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

adey wrote:on one or two occasions during the rural drive i went through a corner where i didnt pull push. both arms stayed at 10 - 2 rather than pull push. i would guess that arms were probably at about 12 and 5 rather than had i used pull push, this was done on corners at around 40mph. however through most if not all the other part of the drive i used pull push.

i think i occasionally do this because i also race go karts where you constantly keep your hands in the steering position.

hope this helps

adrian

Firstly - WELL DONE :D

Fixed input steering is fine as long as no hand goes passed the 12 o clock position - that is the general (but not fixed) rule for road driving
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum