New driver - looking to move on to AD

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby mattjones17 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 am

Hi all,

Some of you may remember that I started a thread late last year whilst I was still a learner driver enquiring about the benefits which AD might bring if I was to move onto it post-test. I passed my test at the end of January, and following a (highly involuntary :evil: ) break of around 6 weeks from driving (caused by the time it took to find a decent insurance company and sort out all the paperwork more than anything else), I am now easing my way back into it. I've been driving myself around on a few short distance runs, have driven some friends around and have driven my parents around quite a bit as well.

Now that I am getting confident in my driving again (including having driven over 300 miles on single/dual carriageways, motorways and inside a city centre on a long journey earlier this week in which I was sharing the driving with my dad), I am thinking once again about taking further driving tuition. I had been considering doing Pass Plus before starting to work on 'advanced' training, however my insurance company have stated that I would get no discount for it, and opinions seem to be mixed as to whether Pass Plus is worth it or not.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions and opinions which anyone might be able to put forward as to where best to embark upon AD. I've got a copy of Roadcraft and have read the first two chapters, but I get the impression that the rest of it would be best tackled by tuition rather than self-study (although I do feel that they have been valuable in giving me a safer mindset for driving). I've been thinking of doing the IAM's Momentum assessment (cost is £40, which is then knocked off the cost of Skill for Life if you choose to buy that afterwards - although I guess I would have to wait until I had held my license for 3 months before doing so?), or doing Ride Drive's Young Driver Safety Course (http://www.advanced-driving-course.co.u ... cs01yd.htm).

Does anyone know anything about Ride Drive or IAM Momentum, and if so, do you rate them? Are there any other options which I could consider?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
mattjones17

Postby driverpete » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:24 am

As well as IAM you could consider RoSPA. Both of these organisations offer top quality Advanced tuition (I prefer to call it defensive driving as it sounds a bit more inclusive) at minimum cost. I can only speak for RoSPA but my local group membership costs £20 p.a., tuition is free and then you only have to pay the cost of the test.

In any case there's no reason why you shouldn't read the rest of Roadcraft; even if you don't take any tuition immediately there's a lot of useful stuff in there which can only help to make you a better driver, which is clearly what you're aiming for.
driverpete

Postby ROG » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 am

Pass plus
Those who have spoken to me after doing it said it was a waste of time
I believe many insurers do not now give discounts for doing it

Advanced driving
All said they had learnt a lot and had made them safer drivers
Many insurers will still not give discounts for passing an advanced test

The AD system is to have an observer/tutor sit next to you in order to guide you through roadcraft perhaps for an hour or so every 2 to 4 weeks and then to let you practice on your own between observed drives

The observer will then inform you when they consider that you are ready to take the test and that will be different for everyone as we all learn at different rates

The idea is that roadcraft becomes your normal way of driving

The AD test is nothing like the DSA test - it's much more friendly and the examiner just wants you to drive as you normally do
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby mattjones17 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Thanks for the advice! Will definately start reading further on in Roadcraft then. Still not sure whether IAM or RoSPA would be the best way forward - although it seems that a lot of people do both in time anyway.

Has anyone done one of the Ride Drive courses, and are they worth it compared to just joining a local group and getting training? Also, is the IAM Momentum test done by observers in the same way, and is it an introduction to AD, or just a seperate test to improve young drivers without spending time on Roadcraft?
mattjones17

Postby martine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi there and congratulation on passing your L-test.

I do sympathise with insurance...it's a horendous cost for young drivers and I really hope insurance companies get better at evaluating the real risk on a more individual basis using technology or better profiling.

Pass plus is really aimed at bridging the gap between passing the L-test and getting experience on perhaps unfamiliar roads (m-ways, rural roads, night driving etc) - sounds like you've probably done this albeit without a 'proper' instructor sitting next to you

As for the IAM's 'Momentum' - remember it's only 1 hour long assessment. It's not really aimed at teaching you much but more giving guidance on what you need to work on. It's taken with an IAM examiner - so clearly they know their stuff. Bearing in mind your enthusiasm, I'd suggest you go for it as, if the examiner suggests you do the full 'Skill for Life' (SfL) course then as you say, it won't cost you anything.

You may or may not be ready for SfL but the examiner will help you decide.

The best thing you have going for you in my opinion is your attitude of wishing to improve...well done and I'm sure given time you will become a great driver.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby martine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:42 pm

mattjones17 wrote:...Also, is the IAM Momentum test done by observers in the same way, and is it an introduction to AD, or just a seperate test to improve young drivers without spending time on Roadcraft?

http://www.iam.org.uk/momentum.html
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TiJay » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:55 pm

I'll give my usual reply here ;)

I did my IAM course 18 months after passing my L test, my examiner was of the attitude it was best to have driven for a year before attempting it. I took the "Fast Track" IAM option, 2x 3hour lessons + test a few weeks later for £450ish (£350 at the time I did it). It saved me £500 off my insurance that year (quite impressive considering I'd also bought a sportier car).

Your mileage may vary. :lol:
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby mattjones17 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I think that it's worth me doing Momentum (perhaps in a month or so) as it sounds like it might be quite useful and it will effectively pay for itself.

I would quite like to get involved with advanced training despite the fact I haven't been driving for a year (even if it meant that I don't do a test yet, I would still like to improve.). I might be going to university in October in which case I would probably not have a car during termtime in my first year - so doing advanced training next year might not be an option.
mattjones17

Postby ROG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 am

mattjones17 wrote: I might be going to university in October in which case I would probably not have a car during termtime in my first year - so doing advanced training next year might not be an option.

I helped two young men who were in the same situation to pass the test

They each borrowed a family members car when on term breaks - it took about a year from first run to test
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Bespoke Driver Trg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Matt,

I'd suggest first joining your local IAM and RoADAR groups. If the observer/tutor they allocate to you is any good, you'll learn lots! I found the books came to life when studied in parallel with enjoying some on-road coaching.

If after you've learned the fundamentals you wish to continue your journey, you'll find many 'professional' trainers/coaches are recommended on this forum. If joining a club of driving enthusiasts appeals to you, have a look at HPC (the High Performance Club).

Enjoy your driving, Matt.
Mark Kendrick
Founder, Bespoke Driver Training
http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk
Bespoke Driver Trg

Postby mattjones17 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 pm

ROG - good to know that uni won't affect my chances of learning AD then - will definately bear that in mind!

Mark - thanks for the response. I guess it might be worth joining RoADAR as well to see how they compare although the cost does start to add up when you are 17!! Can I also say that I am a huge fan of your blog and your YouTube videos which are among some of the best. All three of your DVDs are on my (rather long, expensive and restricted by cash flow!) shopping list of driving materials.

Matt
mattjones17

Return to Advanced Driving Forum