20 mph zone - 20 mph limit?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby 7db » Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Gareth wrote:
7db wrote: * Both are enforcable.

Will you ask your friend where it is documented that the 20 mph zones are enforceable?

TSRGD provides your answer:-

674 is mentioned in Directions 8 and 9 (signs to be placed only where there is a restriction, prohibition, requirement or speed limit).

Furthermore 11(3) excuses repeaters in areas where there is a 20 zone

and

Direction 16 covers all the detail on traffic calming requirements in 20 zones (one with 50 metres of every point in the zone).

The enabling act for these directions in TSRGD is RTRA 1984, I think.
7db

Postby Big Err » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:32 am

Nigel wrote:As far as repeaters go, Von please correct me, but as far as I know, the only limits that don't require repeaters are nsl's & 30's (with the correct lighting), so 20 without repeaters is unenforceable in my thoughts.................but............the requirements for repeaters are nothing short of criminal in themself, if I understand correctly, there isn't any distance requirements for placing them.

The requirement for repeaters is for a 30mph as per the TSRGD:
(4) The sign shown in diagram 670 (speed limit sign)(except when displayed on a variable message sign in the manner mentioned in regulation 58(7)(b)) shall not be placed along -

(a) a road on which there is provided a system of carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity placed not more than 183 metres apart in England and Wales or not more than 185 metres apart in Scotland and which is subject to a speed limit of 30 mph; or

(b) a motorway on which a national speed limit is in force.

(5) The sign shown in diagram 671 (NSL sign)shall be placed at regular intervals along the length of a road (other than a motorway) on which -

(a) there is a system of street or carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity placed not more than 183 metres apart in England and Wales or not more than 185 metres apart in Scotland; and

(b) a national speed limit is in force.
The size and distance between repeaters is covered in The Traffic Signs Manual which is a code of practice and is touched upon in Direction 11 of the TSRGD 2002.

Countown markers to speed limits in Scotland feature the red roundel instead of the black. This sign was not prescribed in the TSRGD but special authorisation was given to Scottish Roads Authorities for its use. I have no idea what the Highways Agency have agreed to down south.

Incidently, ever seen these 'illegal' speed limit signs with the round yellow backing boards? I know there were some in the Loughborough area when I was there a couple of years ago?

Eric.
Big Err

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum