Positioning over cycle lanes?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

How do you normally position your vehicle when there is an empty cycle lane (dotted line)?

1m from the nearside kerb - i.e over the cycle lane
No votes
Just outside the cycle lane
44%
Equidistant from the cycle lane and road centre marking
31%
Someplace else
25%

Total votes : 16

Postby martine » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

So on a wide road with a cycle lane marked with dotted lines, I normally position outside the lane and equidistant to the road centre marking but it struck me if I can see the lane is empty for some way ahead it might be better to position more to the left (away from oncoming traffic etc).

Anyone any thoughts?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Standard Dave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:18 pm

It depends what everyone else does, some cycle lanes and other areas at the side of roads or down the middle of roads are full of debris I wouldn't drive down one if there was debris.

I also wouldn't intentionally place wheels on a white line in wet weather.

It also depends how the cycle lanes are laid out some have ramps back onto the pavement in places or pedestrian refuge type raised kerb sections between the lane and parts of the road to form chicanes or avoid speed humps.

I think I normally run down the side of the cycle lane markings leaving a larger seperation from the oncoming traffic.
Standard Dave

Postby ROG » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:49 pm

As with any situation - I use what road space is available and regard white lines as information and guidance

I do however try not to drive ON the lines as that can diminish their effectiveness over time
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi,

I go along with ROG, I will use whatever road space is available safely, I will run in or through the cycle lane if its empty and safe.

I have always been of the opinion that the lines and markings are for guidance and info only and position myself where speed/ action decrees, far too many drivers treat the line markings like the plague, avoid at all costs on fear of death etc.

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby gannet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I know we are all 'good' drivers here but please when considering use of cycle lanes in town and even some wide roads be ultra aware of, well, cyclists that may also be using them...

Too many times Ive had car drivers over take me only to dip into the cycle lane and slow down to undertake a car waiting to turn right :shock: I am normally trying to ride primary but you can't always do so easily.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 am

gannet wrote:I know we are all 'good' drivers here but please when considering use of cycle lanes in town and even some wide roads be ultra aware of, well, cyclists that may also be using them...

I would be surprised if anyone on this site was not aware of a cycle near to them!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm

ROG wrote:
gannet wrote:I know we are all 'good' drivers here but please when considering use of cycle lanes in town and even some wide roads be ultra aware of, well, cyclists that may also be using them...

I would be surprised if anyone on this site was not aware of a cycle near to them!!

Exactly. Does paint on the road actually make it any safer for a cyclist. After all drivers still have to leave a reasonable safety margin when passing cyclists, white paint or not. There is a cycle lane through a village near me that is so wide that it is only just possible to position your car to the left of the centre line if you are to drive without entering the cycle lane. If there is an oncoming car, one has to enter the cycle lane to avoid hiting each others door mirrors.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Ancient » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm

fungus wrote:
ROG wrote:

Exactly. Does paint on the road actually make it any safer for a cyclist. After all drivers still have to leave a reasonable safety margin when passing cyclists, white paint or not. There is a cycle lane through a village near me that is so wide that it is only just possible to position your car to the left of the centre line if you are to drive without entering the cycle lane. If there is an oncoming car, one has to enter the cycle lane to avoid hiting each others door mirrors.

Nope (nor does paint anywhere else) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/w ... /index.htm is always good for a monthly (slightly cynical) laugh. As for the near-side deathtraps that encourage cyclists to filter down the sides of large vehicles at junctions :evil: ... enough said!
Ancient

Postby fungus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Bournemouth Councils Highways Department closed off a cycle lane, by painting a hatched area about 10yds from the give way line at a busy roundabout. The idea was that cyclists would be taken out into the traffic, and therefore be more visible by not filtering up the LH side of vehicles waiting at the roundabout. :roll: This was after a fatality, where a driver did not see a cyclist. The fact of the matter is, that cyclists ignore the hatchings, and simply ride across them.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:52 pm

fungus wrote:Bournemouth Councils Highways Department closed off a cycle lane, by painting a hatched area about 10yds from the give way line at a busy roundabout. The idea was that cyclists would be taken out into the traffic, and therefore be more visible by not filtering up the LH side of vehicles waiting at the roundabout. :roll: This was after a fatality, where a driver did not see a cyclist. The fact of the matter is, that cyclists ignore the hatchings, and simply ride across them.

Given the stupidity of many of the "improvements" put in by Bristol/South Glos councils (in a "cycling" city), one sometimes wonders when they last went anywhere near a bike, never mind how many actually ride on a regular basis.
jont

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 pm

As a cyclist and AD, I concur that in both situations it is best to assess the conditions and choose your path accordingly using the markings as a guide.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Ancient » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Was browsing Cyclecraft the other day. The chapter on cycle lanes is such an exercise in restraint that it is in fact entertaining :P !

"! It is a mistake to think that cycle facilities are inherently safer than using the general roads" and twelve more pages justifying this reasoning. :lol:
Ancient

Postby gannet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

as a cyclist I rarely use the cycle lanes.... especially down the left hand side of stationary traffic.

and yes I realise we all should know what I initially stated :D be surprised how many don't though. I've asked an associate whom I was out (who was nearly test ready) with once to give a cyclist a little more room while following to be told 'he has all the gear on, why does he need more room - he is not going to come off' :shock:
-- Gannet.
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby gannet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Ancient wrote:Was browsing Cyclecraft the other day. The chapter on cycle lanes is such an exercise in restraint that it is in fact entertaining :P !

"! It is a mistake to think that cycle facilities are inherently safer than using the general roads" and twelve more pages justifying this reasoning. :lol:

Im in two minds whether to get this book or not?
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Ancient » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 am

gannet wrote:
Ancient wrote:Was browsing Cyclecraft the other day. The chapter on cycle lanes is such an exercise in restraint that it is in fact entertaining :P !

Im in two minds whether to get this book or not?

It is a good, sensible book, well written and (as above) entertaining in places. The advice is sound and I'll certainly be adapting some of my riding in accordance with the advice in there. I have been riding bicycles now for well over 40 years, survived nearly three decades riding in London and am IAM member, but we can all learn something. I disagree with some of it (we all climb hills differently after all) but recommend reading it. It is after all the basis for http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/ and so officially endorsed.

What slightly surprised me was the emphasis on things that are taught as "advanced driving" which in Cyclecraft (and bikeability) are at most level2 (the first 'on road' level). This can only be be A Good Thing! 8)

From CTC shop it is slightly cheaper than elsewhere.

Edit to add: I don't just mean that I would recommend it to cyclists (which I do), I also recommend it to advanced drivers. Knowing how cyclists should be behaving (and why) can dispel many myths and help drivers understand (and therefore predict) cycle movements. One thing I was disappointed about with IAM training was the lack of awareness (in my observers at least) that overtaking cyclists is a skill that needs to be learned. Indeed I have never seen anything in IAM literature that deals with this.
Ancient

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum