Mini roundabout - over or round?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby MGF » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 pm

playtent wrote:But driving the wrong side of it is likely to cause confusion. I was talking about the offset island type where straight over is the wrong side of it.

Do you have an example that would cause confusion as well as benefit to driving the wrong side of it? (Or do you mean that if any part of your vehicle is over the dead centre of the circle then you are on the 'wrong' side of it).In my view the confusion isn't so much about incorrect positioning but rather correct positioning. In other words doing what most people don't do. The problem with incorrect positioning is that it can lead to higher entry speeds which can cause conflict with others.

playtent wrote:Half over, 50%, 25% 40%, 30% 20% which is acceptable, what is not, what about no traffic, what about at peak times, what about larger vehicles, what about motorbikes?

What is acceptable is a different question to what is a contravention of the regulation. You did refer to what the article meant was a contravention of the regulation. For the IAM test you are expected to comply with the regs so one needs to be cautious about stating it is ok to drive over a mini roundabout - even by a bit.

jcochrane wrote:...For many years there was a mini roundabout, I know of, placed in narrow street where it was impossible for any motor vehicle to go round the the painted circle without touching or going over it.

The regulation doesn't require you to go round the paint if you physically can't. I think the "large vehicle" part of the HC rule is an addition to the reg.
MGF

Postby fungus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 pm

jcochrane wrote:
GJD wrote:
fungus wrote:Another problem with mini rabs at T junctions, is when three vehicles arrive at the same time.

The ensuing Mexican stand-off usually resolves itself pretty quickly though doesn't it?

I remember reading a report, when the mini roundabout was first introduced, that explained that it was designed to confuse drivers. This was based on research that suggested when drivers were confused they would slow down. This probably worked originally but because of over use I'm not sure they continue to be as effective for this purpose.

As regards to touching or going over the painted circle, despite what is said in the HC, I think playtent has a valid point of using common sense, as is probably true of many things in driving. For many years there was a mini roundabout, I know of, placed in narrow street where it was impossible for any motor vehicle to go round the the painted circle without touching or going over it. Recently the circle and give way markings have been redesigned to try and alleviate the problem.

Driving on the outskirts of Exeter on Sunday, I approached a traffic light controlled junction which had three short approach lanes. As I didn't know the area I was looking for road signs to guide me. The road sign was there alright, behind a tree at the point where the approach slit into three lanes :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

fungus wrote:Driving on the outskirts of Exeter on Sunday, I approached a traffic light controlled junction which had three short approach lanes. As I didn't know the area I was looking for road signs to guide me. The road sign was there alright, behind a tree at the point where the approach slit into three lanes :roll:

Round here, they've taken to painting arrows on the road for bigger roundabouts with multi-lane approaches. Fine in free-flowing traffic, but a bit of a nightmare when traffic is queuing and obscuring the paint. They've then compounded the problem by putting traffic lights on the roundabout :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:14 am

So what about if you're on this one, but turning right in the right hand lane. Would you cut the RAB, or go around it, which would involve moving left into the 'lane' of traffic turning left? Would you decide based on following traffic?

http://g.co/maps/d9m49
jameslb101

Postby dombooth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 am

jameslb101 wrote:So what about if you're on this one, but turning right in the right hand lane. Would you cut the RAB, or go around it, which would involve moving left into the 'lane' of traffic turning left? Would you decide based on following traffic?

Personally it's not wide enough to go round it with people on your left so I would trim it, providing of course it isn't misleading to others.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby apple tango » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 am

jameslb101 wrote:So what about if you're on this one, but turning right in the right hand lane. Would you cut the RAB, or go around it, which would involve moving left into the 'lane' of traffic turning left? Would you decide based on following traffic?

I personally would drive over the paint although the less I could cut the better.
Alex
apple tango

Postby fungus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

If there was a vehicle to my left and the driver followed me out I would drive over the paint. We have one very similar near me.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=50.751368,-2 ... 3&t=h&z=21
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum