Shocking hit & run caught on dash-cam

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby SeanP » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

See this Youtube video (youtube tags don't work here?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex6dHzcgOE

And she denies it "I'm late for work"... :evil:

More of the report here.

The following (recording) drivers observations and predictions are well founded and accurate; though his description of using acceleration sense and making progress he could have adhered to himself better (not to mention the apparent speeding he performed throughout what appears to be a 30MPH?!)... :wink:
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby lyndon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:51 am

Something not quite right with that video, and I see one of the comments is:

"Having watched the clip in question, I immediately attempted to find some media coverage of the event = none.

I then called the Met Police at Southall and asked if they had any record of the incident (19th January 2011). The answer was no.

Can anyone supply anything that backs this clip as being legitimate?

lollygaggle 4 days ago "

Just wondering!
lyndon

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:20 pm

lyndon wrote:Something not quite right with that video, and I see one of the comments is:

"Having watched the clip in question, I immediately attempted to find some media coverage of the event = none.

I then called the Met Police at Southall and asked if they had any record of the incident (19th January 2011). The answer was no.

Can anyone supply anything that backs this clip as being legitimate?

lollygaggle 4 days ago "

Just wondering!

Others have done the legwork for you

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &mid=59863
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby lyndon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Thank you. I have only skimmed the 35 pages, but am I right in assuming that they show that it wasn't a hoax?

Worrying!
lyndon

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 pm

lyndon wrote:Thank you. I have only skimmed the 35 pages, but am I right in assuming that they show that it wasn't a hoax?

Worrying!

Yep, I believe that about sums it up.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I couldn't work out who these guys are - they seem to be wannabe policemen. Do they drive around all day congratulating themselves on their driving and waiting for something to happen?

They didn't seem too concerned about the guy who was run over either - surely their duty was to stop and give what first aid they could rather than indulging in car chases?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Ok, the woman driver was totally out of order and I sincerely hope she is prosecuted.

What does concern me about the pr1cks following her is their attitude. They were intentionally intimidating her, I quote... "I recon if we stay up her ass we might get her doing something dodgy"

Well the did stay up her ass and she did do something dodgy.

Totally agree, their job should have been to stop and offer first aid!
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby martine » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:14 pm

adiNigel wrote:Totally agree, their job should have been to stop and offer first aid!

Doesn't the video show that they stop and the passenger gets out to help?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:58 pm

That rings a bell. I saw the clip a few weeks ago so didn't watch it all t way through this time! :-(
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 pm

I think that could be inferred, but not confirmed, from the clip. The camera is always forward-facing, so you have to rely on the sound for any other detail. At no time did I gain the impression of any more than two people in the car, and after the hit-and-run, there were still two people conversing. It's just possible that there was a third, totally silent passenger in the car, but I'm not so sure.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:19 pm

I thought the only conversation after the hit and run was the driver on the phone - perhaps I've missed something (Observation is not my strong point :shock: )
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby lyndon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:02 am

When a video of a woman putting a cat in a bin went viral, the world's news media picked it up. I still haven't seen any news comment about this hit and run. It still feels suspicious to me.

Does anyone know anything different?
lyndon

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:33 pm

ExadiNigel wrote:Well the did stay up her ass and she did do something dodgy.

Are you saying that the drivers of the car with the dashcam were in some way responsible for her 'dodgy' driving by intimidation? She didn't accuse the dashcam car driver of intimidating her when she was stopped. To suggest that the woman was driving in the manner that she was because she was intimidated by the car following her stikes me as more than a little far fetched.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think that could be inferred, but not confirmed, from the clip. The camera is always forward-facing, so you have to rely on the sound for any other detail. At no time did I gain the impression of any more than two people in the car, and after the hit-and-run, there were still two people conversing. It's just possible that there was a third, totally silent passenger in the car, but I'm not so sure.

At the point when the woman stops, the dashcam car driver pulls along side her and turns the camera towards her, showing us that there is no passenger in the front seat. Just after the pedestrian is hit, the passenger tells the driver to 'go after her'. I wouldn't have expected him to say that if he wasn't getting out of the car to help the injured pedestrian.
Kevin

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Kevin wrote:Are you saying that the drivers of the car with the dashcam were in some way responsible for her 'dodgy' driving by intimidation? She didn't accuse the dashcam car driver of intimidating her when she was stopped. To suggest that the woman was driving in the manner that she was because she was intimidated by the car following her stikes me as more than a little far fetched.

If you read all of what I posted and keep it in context you will see what I was saying. I started off by saying that the woman's was bad and I hoped she was/will be prosecuted. What I did add was that the driver behind is heard saying that if they stay up her arse they'll get her doing something dodgy! To me, it appeared as if they were intentionally trying to intimidate her into driving worse than she was already, which was already pretty bad!

Hopefully that's clarifies!
ExadiNigel

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm

ExadiNigel wrote:If you read all of what I posted and keep it in context you will see what I was saying. I started off by saying that the woman's was bad and I hoped she was/will be prosecuted. What I did add was that the driver behind is heard saying that if they stay up her arse they'll get her doing something dodgy! To me, it appeared as if they were intentionally trying to intimidate her into driving worse than she was already, which was already pretty bad!

Hopefully that's clarifies!

I had read all of what you'd posted. If I've understood, you're saying the driver's words show an intention to get her to do something dodgy by driving up her arse. I'd taken his words to mean something less, simply that if they followed her for long enough, they'd catch her doing something dodgy because of the driving style she had displayed earlier, not that he would elicit dodgy driving from her by following her closely.
Kevin

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum