Relaxation techniques

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Cat » Wed May 17, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi

I wonder if you can help with some suggestions for relaxing whilst driving?

I went on a skidpan training session a couple of weekends ago - which was brilliant, and the training excellent. However, I felt dizzy and sick after going round in circles for about 5mins. The second time I tried, I was told I looked white when I got out of the car, and certainly my tummy muscles hurt for a while afterwards. I would love to do more, but feeling dizzy etc doesn't help. Do you have any suggestions to reduce or prevent the above physical effects? Taking a deep breath and letting the air out slowly helped, but is there anything else I can do?

The other thing I learnt was about looking for the limit. I've been trying this out as I go round bends, but I'm finding I feel slightly spaced out, just like on the skid pan. How do you check for the limit as you're driving?
Cat

Postby Gareth » Wed May 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Cat wrote:and certainly my tummy muscles hurt for a while afterwards.

Can't help with the motion sickness, although I'm told that with repeated and frequent practice it is possible to develop a resistance to this.

The muscular aches are typically a fitnesss issue - when you subject your body to lateral G-forces, the muscles are having to work much more than they usually do. Generally being fitter will help, as will strengthening those muscles that you use to keep yourself located in the driving seat.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Wed May 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Boots do a rather excellent motion sickness tablet which I've found very effective.
7db

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Cat wrote:The other thing I learnt was about looking for the limit. I've been trying this out as I go round bends, but I'm finding I feel slightly spaced out, just like on the skid pan. How do you check for the limit as you're driving?

Is this the "limit point" or something else? :D Sounds like some motion sickness tablets may be useful :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Cat wrote:The other thing I learnt was about looking for the limit. I've been trying this out as I go round bends, but I'm finding I feel slightly spaced out, just like on the skid pan. How do you check for the limit as you're driving?

Ooh, missed this bit. Don't fixate on it. By that I mean the limit point is just one of a number of factors that determine cornering approach and speed, so repeated glances at the limit point will give you a better idea about how it is moving relative to your vehicles motion. It sounds a bit as if you are focussing so much on the limit point that you are less aware of everything else, and this may lead to a disconcerting feeling of not being wholely in control.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Wed May 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Motion sickness is a difference between what your eyes and ears are telling your brain. The eyes see the stationary reference of the interior of the car and your ears feel the movement.

Looking outside the car should help. The other very effective cure to motion sickness is to close your eyes...
7db

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed May 17, 2006 5:06 pm

I find that not actually looking, directly, at the "limit point" and thus fixating on it (cos obviously it isnt where you were looking a sec ago unless you are stationary) but slightly beyond it helps me to see whether it is moving away, holding steady or moving towards me relative to the car. It just seems clearer when using almost "peripheral vision"
What effect this would have on motion sickness I have no idea, so I dint know if thats helpful anyway

It does however feel slightly different on the bike as if I have my head up and looking towards where I want to go rather than where I am, I often have no vehicle ref point,(periferal or otherwise) in my line of sight. So like being on a boat at sea with nothing but the horizon moving, can be "butterfly in tum inducing".which is probably one of those reasons people ride bikes.
(Or maybe im just going into that corner :shock: tooooooooooo quickly :lol:)
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Cat » Fri May 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Twas indeed limit point, looking for the limit does sound a bit weird. Many thanks for all the tips. Re: peripheral vision, it may well stop the slightly spaced feeling :shock: when fixating on the limit point!

Do you by any chance know of anywhere which allows someone to have a drive and/or training but doesn't need a licence? Strange question, and probably not possible, insurance and all that, its just I have had to voluntarily return my licence to the DVLA following an epileptic seizure :( . All being well, ie no further seizures, I can re-apply in a year's time. It'll be a good opportunity to learn all things car related, and help with the Advanced Driving test. Then I'll be raring to go when I get my licence back and put it all into practice - God willing :D
Cat

Postby chrispbrown2255 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:19 pm

Not sure in romsey, but near me there is a driving school where you can get in their cars at 16. Have a look for pre 17 driving schools as they have to be on private land.
chrispbrown2255

Postby twistyfing » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:32 pm

um - ok this may come across strange but i'm qualified in aromatherapy and personally use essential oils in the car. You can get a diffuser that goes in your cigarette lighter (tisserand.com sell good ones) and then you add a couple of drops of whatever oils you wish to use.

for relaxation i would suggest lavender (but not on long tiring drives!)
for nausea i would try ginger
for increased alertness i like grapefruit or lemon

there have been various studies regarding oils in industry where they have discovered that fewer mistakes, improved concentration, and better morale have been reported. So in my view, it cant hurt to try.
(plus the smells are far superior to those magic trees!)
twistyfing

Return to Advanced Driving Forum