Turning Right at a T-Junction

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:09 pm

MGF wrote:You mean a single car waiting to emerge?

No - he means a single car emerging... A car waiting to emerge is a different situation entirely.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby MGF » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
MGF wrote:You mean a single car waiting to emerge?

No - he means a single car emerging... A car waiting to emerge is a different situation entirely.

Chris

Does he? That's not what he said in reply to Ivor's comment quoted below.

GJD wrote:
IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Also agree with whoever said "most of us would lift off anyway", in some cases probably even before OP had thoght of pulling out :lol:

Really? If I suspect someone's going to pull out in front of me, I start planning my overtake. How's lifting off gonna help with that? :)

GJD wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:I wonder if the more pertinent question is "when do you lift off?"?

Of course it is :). It was Ivor's comment about lifting off before they'd emerged that I was responding to.
MGF

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:24 pm

MGF wrote:Does he? That's not what he said in reply to Ivor's comment quoted below.

He suspects someone will pull out ... which usually translates to someone pulling out.........

How can you plan to overtake someone who hasn't pulled out?!?! :?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby MGF » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
MGF wrote:Does he? That's not what he said in reply to Ivor's comment quoted below.

He suspects someone will pull out ... which usually translates to someone pulling out.........

How can you suspect someone will pull out when they are pulling out. Surely you know they are pulling out when they pull out. :)

ScoobyChris wrote:How can you plan to overtake someone who hasn't pulled out?!?! :?

Chris

As I approach the car waiting to emerge I am planning to overtake him if he emerges. At the same time I am planning to slow behind him if necessary. I keep my options as open as possible until I now what he is doing.

That's why, from my point of view, in this situation, it is rarely possible to plan an overtake without lifting off although I accept your comment that suggests there may be no net safety benefit to doing so as lifting off may encourage the driver to pull out. That's why I was interested in people's views on the subject.
MGF

Postby GJD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 am

MGF wrote:
GJD wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:Btw, I think GJD is envisaging a single car emerging from a junction, rather than a busy junction with lots of waiting traffic when he talks about closing for an overtake.

I am.

You mean a single car waiting to emerge?

Oops. Sorry. I didn't read ScoobyChris's post properly. I was envisaging a car waiting to emerge.
GJD

Postby GJD » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 am

ScoobyChris wrote:How can you plan to overtake someone who hasn't pulled out?!?! :?

By imagining that they do pull out and looking beyond the junction for potential overtaking opportunities and hazards that would make overtaking inadvisable.

Of course, it's all irrelevant if they don't, in the end, pull out. But useful if they do.
GJD

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:35 pm

Sounds like we may have been using the word plan differently. I can understand looking at the lay of the land on the approach (an extension of looking for escape routes), but my point was that until the car has emerged you can't close up and plan the overtake manouevre in any detail as you don't know anything about the car you're planning to overtake...?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 pm

This is a thread that just keeps giving...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:41 pm

I think that we use the word "give" differently.
7db

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum