Anyone have any experience with Glasgow IAM groups?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby playtent » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:36 pm

I have to say that all the IAM members I've met don't look anything like the women on the 'About us' page!
playtent

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:14 pm

playtent wrote:I have to say that all the IAM members I've met don't look anything like the women on the 'About us' page!

The one top right?
This is what you need:
All nice girls....
crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Similarly if people click on my signature, I will be very receptive to feedback.

It's a nice "clean" looking site - easy to navigate.
crr003

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 am

crr003 wrote:OK - a couple of guys have said they appreciate a good website, but is that the general prospective IAM Associate? I'm probably about the same age as Mr C-W, maybe younger (I look it anyway :P ), but I'd say I would not be put off joining a Group because it didn't have a whiz-bang website. I'd be calling on the telephonic apparatus to get a feel for the interest and passion for the SfL from a live body.

I think it comes down to the audience you're hoping to attract. There will always be people who prefer face-to-face communication or a conversation on the phone, but I believe that the best way of reaching the young'uns (who are the ones who are most difficult to attract!) is through a website - after all, they are the internet generation :lol:

I think one of the challenges of being a self-managed group is that you have to rely on skill within the group and this can lead to a huge variation in the look and feel of how the IAM/RoSPA is presented. As an example, the two local IAM groups to me are http://spiam.auld.me.uk/?page=home and http://basingstokeadvancedmotorists.org.uk/ . I wonder whether IAM/RoSPA could offer central hosting/management of local group websites to those who don't have the skill, inclination or resource to do their own. It might plug a hole that will generate some revenue for them and some easy publicity for that group.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby crr003 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 am

ScoobyChris wrote:I think it comes down to the audience you're hoping to attract. There will always be people who prefer face-to-face communication or a conversation on the phone, but I believe that the best way of reaching the young'uns (who are the ones who are most difficult to attract!) is through a website - after all, they are the internet generation :lol:

Oh I'm more than convinced a web site is mandatory - it's just the level of complexity/content. Would too much content even put someone off?
ScoobyChris wrote:I think one of the challenges of being a self-managed group is that you have to rely on skill within the group and this can lead to a huge variation in the look and feel of how the IAM/RoSPA is presented. As an example, the two local IAM groups to me are http://spiam.auld.me.uk/?page=home and http://basingstokeadvancedmotorists.org.uk/ . I wonder whether IAM/RoSPA could offer central hosting/management of local group websites to those who don't have the skill, inclination or resource to do their own. It might plug a hole that will generate some revenue for them and some easy publicity for that group.

IAM does provide a website template (it looks like the Basingstoke one). I don't like it as I have to scroll round in a box!
crr003

Postby gannet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 am

crr003 wrote:IAM does provide a website template (it looks like the Basingstoke one). I don't like it as I have to scroll round in a box!

which is rather similar to ours: East Surrey IAM

I don't claim it is as up to date as it should be as a lot of the information is static. However it does take time to update it and time is scarce :( Is annoying when HQ in there wisdom change their website without informing us that our links my no longer work :roll:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby crr003 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 am

gannet wrote:
crr003 wrote:IAM does provide a website template (it looks like the Basingstoke one). I don't like it as I have to scroll round in a box!

Oohh - it says you need Roadcraft. Bit controversial? Is that instead of or in addition to HTBBABD?
crr003

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am

crr003 wrote:Oh I'm more than convinced a web site is mandatory - it's just the level of complexity/content. Would too much content even put someone off?

Absolutely - as I said earlier in the thread, you need to know your audience and what they are looking for. When I used to do web design (many moons ago) there was a "three-click rule" which said if you couldn't find the info you wanted in 3 clicks, you would give up. Now that sites are inherently more complex I'm not sure if that still holds true, but I think the principle is sound and for a site predominantly selling a service, you don't want to be relying on the determination and resourcefulness of an individual to find that information.

It's a delicate balance and the best way to find out how your site is performing is to try and get user feedback (a challenge in itself!). The other option is to pull together a set of people from a range of ages/backgrounds who aren't familiar with the site and set them challenges such as, find out how much the SfL package costs, who do I contact to find out more, etc and watch how they approach it and any frustrations/confusion they hit along the way. We often use new graduates to perform usability testing on our products :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby gannet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 am

crr003 wrote:
gannet wrote:

Oohh - it says you need Roadcraft. Bit controversial? Is that instead of or in addition to HTBBABD?

so it does :oops:

like I said, hard to find the time to keep it all up to date etc. I probably haven't read it all through in a wee while :(
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
crr003 wrote:Seriously, what would you (or any other prospective member) like to see on a web page that would make you want to come to that Group?

I think the most important thing for me is that it's up-to-date (which implies the group is active!) and after that, that it looks professional and is simple and usable. I don't think the web site need necessarily be overloaded with content and a handful of pages doing the sales pitch, the how it works and what it costs, newsletter and event calendar, and contacts page (e-mail and phone) for the people you might want to contact in the group.

I'd see the web page as the way to make people want to find out more, to make that initial contact less daunting.

Chris

Yes, just that, although I accept the comments about the investment (not just £) required to maintain such a site. I would not rule out groups who chose not to have one but I would be asking why, especially since younger members are more difficult to attract. I wonder if any AD groups have sites suitable for accessing from mobile/tablet devices.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby playtent » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 pm

crr003 wrote:
playtent wrote:I have to say that all the IAM members I've met don't look anything like the women on the 'About us' page!

The one top right?
This is what you need:
All nice girls....

The top one may be more your age! :wink: I don't think she'll get in your car though!

There's 91 pages on that thread, you trying to get rid of me? I may be a few weeks! :twisted:
playtent

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

playtent wrote:The top one may be more your age! :wink: I don't think she'll get in your car though!

I'd use the Astra!
playtent wrote:There's 91 pages on that thread, you trying to get rid of me? I may be a few weeks! :twisted:
There're two other volumes to work through too!
crr003

Postby playtent » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 pm

crr003 wrote:
playtent wrote:There's 91 pages on that thread, you trying to get rid of me? I may be a few weeks! :twisted:
There're two other volumes to work through too!

Oh boy my eyes are aching!
playtent

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum