RECOMMENDATION FOR ADI IN LANARKSHIRE

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby sherlock » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:23 am

Hi folks, new member here so please excuse any major faux pas!

Just heard from DSA that I passed my interview and written assessment and have now been placed on a 'merit' list - whatever that is!

The next stage apparently is the assessment drive, and prior to that happening I thought it prudent to get a couple lessons under my belt from a suitably qualified individual - to check any bad habits that may have formed, and for some general reviewing.

My driving experience as an emergency services driver would be classed as progressive driving, which I'm not certain would entirely carry over into the requirements for an examiner, and indeed the assessed drive.

Can anyone recommend a suitably qualified instructor in Lanarkshire. I'm not sure what qualifications I should be looking for in an instructor at this stage.

Thanks for any help.
sherlock

Postby ROG » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 am

Bit lost here .....

are you looking to get your first car licence or looking to get into instruction?

PS - if former then this is probably more suited to the learners forum
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby sherlock » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 am

Sorry this wasn't clear. I have applied to DSA for job as an examiner. Passed all stages so far but now have an assessment drive to undertake. I want to brush up on my existing skills and take some instruction from someone who knows what I can expect to find in this driving assessment.
sherlock

Postby Flexibase » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Here a few a few suggestions from a former police advanced driver and IAM Senior Observer who became an ADI (but not a DSA Examiner):
1. Discover what ADI stands for!
2. Go easy on positioning for left hand bends - best not to go further out than the lane (not road) centre.
3. Do not straighten roundabouts, even when no-one else is around.
4. Give signals whenever entering or leaving another road, irrespective of no-one else being view.
5. Take your time with turn-in-the-road - I was criticised by my ADI tutor for being too brisk!
6. Always give both L and R shoulder checks before moving off, even if you have only just stopped and have an empty field on your left!
7. Do not rely only on mirrors when reversing into a junction - back them up with shoulder checks.
8. Remember that they now encourage eco-driving, so temper your acceleration and braking.

I would be pleased to hear from any current DSA Examiners if any of the above are now outdated!
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby sherlock » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks David, your comments are appreciated and I'll obviously take these on board.

Much appreciated you taking the time.

John
sherlock

Postby daz6215 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Or you could buy 'Driving the Essential Skills' it may help too.

On a side note Sherlock, there is another thread on another forum where lots have been successful at the application process, interview and driving assessment and have now been placed on a list if a vacancy should appear, once you have been on 12 months I believe it's back to square 1.
daz6215

Return to Advanced Driving Forum