MLOC

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby martine » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Might be of interest for those in the Middle Lane Owners Club (no one here I suspect)...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:08 pm

It doesn't mention the technique of leading by example. Often I find that some middle lane hogging drivers can be encouraged to use correct lane discipline simply by clearly and unambiguously doing it properly to shame them out of their erroneous ways.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:16 am

Lane hoggers cause accidents through tailgating

Er... No they don't, that's down to the prat behind not handling the situation properly!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby 7db » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 am

Slink_Pink wrote:... can be encouraged to use correct lane discipline simply by clearly and unambiguously doing it properly ...

My view is that people's driving is very rarely altered by someone outside of their car and without their consent. Ones principle aim when coming across a bad driver is to treat him like any inanimate hazard; leave him safely to get on with it, rather than to try to make him a good driver.
7db

Postby jont » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:53 am

Was it just me wondering if Martin had bought a Lotus?
jont

Postby brianhaddon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 am

7db wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:... can be encouraged to use correct lane discipline simply by clearly and unambiguously doing it properly ...

My view is that people's driving is very rarely altered by someone outside of their car and without their consent. Ones principle aim when coming across a bad driver is to treat him like any inanimate hazard; leave him safely to get on with it, rather than to try to make him a good driver.

I agree with both comments. Best not to try and teach drivers in other cars from inside yours. (When you try to teach someone a lesson the only lesson I think you give them is what a fool you are). But I notice that often when I pass a car that is in the middle lane then I return to lane 1 the driver of that car follows suit.

Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby martine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am

jont wrote:Was it just me wondering if Martin had bought a Lotus?

Funily enough I was just thinking only yesterday how nice a silver Elise was that passed me the other way...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 pm

7db wrote:

I did try to carefully choose my words "leading by example" rather than "...make that eejit* move over whether he likes it or not". Fair enough, many drivers can barely see past their bonnet, let alone how other drivers are moving but I do think that there are lots of subtle ways in which one driver can modify another's (e.g. slight increase or decrease in speed). Whether or not they are safe, legal or considerate things to do is another discussion!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Return to Advanced Driving Forum