ROSPA Bronze - Now what?

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby daz6215 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Fignon wrote:
BGOL is the main problem, I assume it will take time to get out of old habits.

Is it? It sounds like there are more important issues to address other than BGOL,

Remember the 4 'S's

Safety
System
Smoothness
Speed
daz6215

Postby ROG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Fignon wrote:I have not been sent my written report yet. The main points the examiner brought up were:

Slightly too much speed into corners.

Not using the correct gear to accelerate out of corners.

BGOL and using too high a gear trying to avoid BGOL.

Not getting speed right down when entering 30mhp limit.

BGOL is the main problem, I assume it will take time to get out of old habits.

Thanks

Looking at that list it seems to me that forward planning for the braking is the main issue
It's that feeling of overbraking which is usually the problem which most associates shy away from because they assume that they are inconveniencing others

I use the term overbrake with my associates on the first run - not exactly an IAM term but it works and has done so for over 100 associates
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 pm

ROG wrote:...It's that feeling of overbraking which is usually the problem which most associates shy away from because they assume that they are inconveniencing others

I use the term overbrake with my associates on the first run - not exactly an IAM term but it works and has done so for over 100 associates

I wish someone told me that when I was being observed!!
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 pm

It sounds to me as if you didn't have enough observed drives, or your tutor was in a hurry. These things should have been picked up before you went for test. Did you have a "check drive" with a different or more senior tutor before your test?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:
ROG wrote:...It's that feeling of overbraking which is usually the problem which most associates shy away from because they assume that they are inconveniencing others

I wish someone told me that when I was being observed!!

Someone summed it up nicely for me a couple of weekends ago "brake enough to get the speed right for the bend, then add another 10%".
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Someone summed it up nicely for me a couple of weekends ago "brake enough to get the speed right for the bend, then add another 10%".

"No-one ever crashed too slowly" :D
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Many drivers seem to aim to get their entry speed for the bend to coincide with the turn-in point of a bend or corner then change gear in a rushed fashion. So I often suggest to associates to aim to get their entry speed to coincide with a point before the turn-in to give them more time to settle the car/ change gear, etc. This point can then be adjusted to suit.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby fungus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Wasn't it VON who posted a detailed description of how to approach a junction giving yourself time get the braking done, the correct gear engaged with the clutch fully up and the right foot back on the accelerator before turning in?
IIRC he said to imagine a juggernaut positioned up to the junction. The braking had to be completed by the time you reached the rear of the juggernaut, giving time for the gear change, and the right foot to be returned to the accelerator.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 pm

fungus wrote:Wasn't it VON who posted a detailed description of how to approach a junction .......

Yes and it is amazing how many drivers don't do it.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 am

It's very hard to do it that way, for me. It works for sharp turns such as turning into a side-road. It does not work (for me) on the open road. The 10% method suggested "clicked" much better with me. Our toolboxes all contain different tools.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum