Avoiding a slow speed skid on ice.

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby fungus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:28 pm

A problem here in the South, is that winter temperatures can vary by quite a few degrees within a few days, from below freezing, to 10c or more. So I suppose an all weather tyre is a better all round option than either a summer or winter tyre.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Astraist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Yes. Winter tires also perform poorly in dry, hot conditions, because there tends to be a build up of molten rubber at the contact patch under strong braking from speed. These tires also wear and age prematurely. Although all-season tires are only effective for an occasional, light coating of thin, fresh snow or frost. For serious snow and ice, I believe winter tires are preferable, even if the temperatures rise every now and than. You make 10 celsius sound like much... :lol:
Astraist

Postby jcochrane » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:57 pm

fungus wrote:A problem here in the South, is that winter temperatures can vary by quite a few degrees within a few days, from below freezing, to 10c or more. So I suppose an all weather tyre is a better all round option than either a summer or winter tyre.

I don't know the truth of the matter but I would have thought that the temperature range you quote would be ideal for winter tyres. The only information I've read says that summer tyres perform very poorly below 7c and the time to fit winter tyres is when the average temperature drops to 7c. This suggest that they should work well at 10c.

I've also read that winter tyres out perform summer tyres in the wet which may be a consideration during the cooler wetter months, I guess.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Astraist wrote:all-season tires are only effective for an occasional, light coating of thin, fresh snow or frost. For serious snow and ice, I believe winter tires are preferable, even if the temperatures rise every now and than.

I think it depends greatly on the particular all season tyres. Some have the snowflake / triple mountain peak symbol which indicates they are also legal for use as winter tyres in countries that have this requirement. Our experience of Vredestein Quatrac 3 is that they are quite impressive, even on the compacted snow and ice patches that are commonly found in UK winters.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Astraist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Every tire with this mark is a proper winter tire and should operate well on snow and occasional ice, like any snow tire. Proper ice is different and requires studded tires.
Astraist

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Astraist wrote:Every tire with this mark is a proper winter tire and should operate well on snow and occasional ice, like any snow tire.

I'm thinking of tyres that are marketed as all season tyres rather than winter tyres, yet still carry the symbol. Examples available to the UK market include Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, Hankook Optimo 4S, and Vredestein Quatrac 2 & 3.

Astraist wrote:Proper ice is different and requires studded tires.

There is some doubt as to the legality of using studded tyres in the UK - I think they can only be used where the road surface is completely covered, which rather limits their usefulness.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Astraist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Yes, studded tires are used in a perfectly frozen environment. Otherwise they might damage the tarmac and cause ravelling.
Astraist

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

jcochrane wrote:
fungus wrote:A problem here in the South, is that winter temperatures can vary by quite a few degrees within a few days, from below freezing, to 10c or more. So I suppose an all weather tyre is a better all round option than either a summer or winter tyre.

I don't know the truth of the matter but I would have thought that the temperature range you quote would be ideal for winter tyres. The only information I've read says that summer tyres perform very poorly below 7c and the time to fit winter tyres is when the average temperature drops to 7c. This suggest that they should work well at 10c.

I've also read that winter tyres out perform summer tyres in the wet which may be a consideration during the cooler wetter months, I guess.

I have just fitted my Vredestein Snowtrac 3s. Bear in mind with the average temperature thing that you need to consider the temperature when you actually drive. E.g. I tend to commute between 0700-0800 and 1800-1900, so the temperature could easily be below 7ºC at these times (particularly the morning) without the average temperature being below this threshold.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum