Hill Start

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Jungles » Fri May 26, 2006 8:53 am

When I was learning to drive, I was taught to use the handbrake to initiate a hill start. That is, I was to engage the hand brake in order to prevent backward roll, while balancing the throttle and clutch, and moving off while progressively easing off the handbrake and the clutch. This was/is also the required method for hill starts for a driving examination in my jurisdiction.

But how many people actually use a handbrake hill start?

I use it for steep hills, but revert back to just using the throttle and clutch on mild inclines.
Jungles

Postby martine » Fri May 26, 2006 9:19 am

Hi Jungles,

Not quite sure I understand - surely if you are stopped on an hill you would have your handbrake on? Then to start moving you have to balance taking the brake off while gradually taking up drive? How else could you do it?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri May 26, 2006 9:32 am

For me, it depends on the hill "start". If I'm stationary, I'll have the handbrake on anyway, but if I'm crawling in traffic, I'll open up a gap in front of me and keep the car trickling using clutch and throttle to avoid stopping and starting :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby chrispbrown2255 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:17 am

ScoobyChris wrote:For me, it depends on the hill "start". If I'm stationary, I'll have the handbrake on anyway, but if I'm crawling in traffic, I'll open up a gap in front of me and keep the car trickling using clutch and throttle to avoid stopping and starting :D

Chris

Same here, but to clarify when starting on a hill, I have the hand brake on, clutch dipped and bring the revs upto around 1'500, raise the clutch till my bonnet lifts then release the handbrake. Thats the way I was taught anyway.
chrispbrown2255

Postby Jungles » Fri May 26, 2006 10:31 am

martine wrote:Hi Jungles,

Not quite sure I understand - surely if you are stopped on an hill you would have your handbrake on? Then to start moving you have to balance taking the brake off while gradually taking up drive? How else could you do it?
If I'm parked, yes, I'd have my handbrake on. But if I was stopped at a traffic light, then usually no, unless it is a long stop.

On mild inclines, I can get off the foot brake, move onto the throttle and let out the clutch before any significant backward roll. Usually any backward roll is less than a few inches.

Of course, on steeper inclines, or where there is another vehicle stopped very close behind me, I'll choose the safer option of a handbrake hill start. I wouldn't want to risk stalling or rolling back into another vehicle in those conditions.
Jungles

Postby martine » Fri May 26, 2006 10:45 am

Jungles wrote:[On mild inclines, I can get off the foot brake, move onto the throttle and let out the clutch before any significant backward roll. Usually any backward roll is less than a few inches.

Of course, on steeper inclines, or where there is another vehicle stopped very close behind me, I'll choose the safer option of a handbrake hill start. I wouldn't want to risk stalling or rolling back into another vehicle in those conditions.

I'd suggest you put the handbrake on whenever you are stopped on an incline to eliminate the risk of even a slight roll backwards. If you rolled backwards at all, even on the basic driving test, I believe you'd fail.

I know the temptation is to 'hold it on the clutch' but it's a bad habit for all sorts of reasons.

On the flat and if the stop is only a few seconds then OK, no need for handbrake. Our local IAM examiner says he expects the handbrake to be used if there is time to put it on and off.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby James » Fri May 26, 2006 1:41 pm

I think the answer to this is simply the correct useage of the handbrake.

Handbrakes are usually applied when you are anticipating being stopped for more than a few moments. There is no hard and fast rule that defines how long this is, but generally when you are held waiting for 5 seconds or more.

Although you are correct in saying that you should not roll backwards, whether you are able to control the car with clutch control or whether you need the assistance of a handbrake is a personal matter and dependant on your overall car control. I don't think you would be criticised for either method, so long as you are not always using the handbrake of you happen to stop for a second or so. Obviously when stopped for a period of time the handbrake should be used, but clutch control can be used for short periods of crawling where you are anticipating moving off almost straight away in short bursts.
James

Postby 7db » Fri May 26, 2006 3:01 pm

A further consideration is the liklihood that you will need to take evasive action from a rear-end shunt. When this is still a possibility -- ie until you have one or two dominos in place behind you -- then first gear, held on clutch, one eye in the mirror if there is a chance of needed to abandon your post with speed.
7db

Postby James » Fri May 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Interesting 7db. What when there is 1 vehicle behind you, another approaching from far away and you are going to be held for a while? I don't know if I would hover the clutch for that long just in case of a rear ender, unless special circumstances applies, like a hill junction on a blind bend...
James

Postby 7db » Fri May 26, 2006 3:18 pm

It's a personal choice based on the liklihood of a problem and the consequences, and dependent on the circs.

If the car behind were a 7 and the second vehicle were a refuse collection lorry that I had earlier seen the driver swigging from a Stella can, then I might consider a penny's worth of clutch wear a good cost.
7db

Postby James » Fri May 26, 2006 3:30 pm

Hence what I would deem to be special circumstances! Poor Caterham...
James

Postby vonhosen » Fri May 26, 2006 4:01 pm

Another thing that's dependent on circumstances really.
As a more experienced driver you may not need the use of the handbrake in all the circumstances that a novice might, do what is best for the circumtances.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Fri May 26, 2006 5:27 pm

For what it is worth:
On a steep hill I'll use the handbrake before restarting.
On a slight gradient I may not use the handbrake, and the backwards movement on restarting will be zero or small enough not to matter, though I appreciate this would not be acceptable on a driving test.
I sometimes slip into 1st gear and idle slowly up the slope towards the obstruction, in the hope that I may avoid the need to stop.
What I will not do is hold a car on the clutch for excessive periods, even using low engines speeds - it's the mechanical sympathy thing again.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Fri May 26, 2006 6:54 pm

[quote="TripleS"]
I sometimes slip into 1st gear and idle slowly up the slope towards the obstruction, in the hope that I may avoid the need to stop.
quote]

Gears to go, not to slow!!!
James

Postby BillZZR600 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:32 pm

Ah but surely what TripleS could be describing is the use of acceleration sense ?
Having competed any braking (or speed reduction by engine braking) is contiuimg his forward powered motion, with the clutch fully engaged,(all be it at very slow spead and gear) anticipating his "gap" and ready to make progress away from "the hazard" when it is clear and safe to do so, without the unecessary complete halt.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum