Reversing into a Side Road on the Right

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 pm

YorkshireJumbo wrote:Are gritters on minor roads employed by a particular council?

Yup, apart from those employed by the Highways Agency.

Here's North Yorkshire's gritting page
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Been away, so only just caught this - thanks :)
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby SeanP » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:58 am

I was asked to carry out this manoeuvre on my RoSPA 'check drive' prior to my test; and it was at that time also totally unfamiliar to me (only 25 years driving) and I felt uncomfortable doing it.

I was even doubtful of the "legality" of it, but was more uncomfortable with the lack of vision; it was a residential street, with high foliage coverage on the corner blocking most of the view.

My tutor pointed out there was a Highway Code rule which would help me with this (and other reversing scenarios with limited vision) - which I had to think about a while before it finally clicked and I asked him to guide me round the corner :-)
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby martine » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:35 am

SeanP wrote:I was asked to carry out this manoeuvre on my RoSPA 'check drive' prior to my test; and it was at that time also totally unfamiliar to me (only 25 years driving) and I felt uncomfortable doing it.

I was even doubtful of the "legality" of it, but was more uncomfortable with the lack of vision; it was a residential street, with high foliage coverage on the corner blocking most of the view.

My tutor pointed out there was a Highway Code rule which would help me with this (and other reversing scenarios with limited vision) - which I had to think about a while before it finally clicked and I asked him to guide me round the corner :-)

Yes I know exactly where you are coming from...the right reverse is a compulsory maneouvre for the ADI Part 2 test and before training I hadn't come across it. It's certainly legal...it makes more sense when you think of reversing in a van or lorry with no direct rear view.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jonquirk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi All

I'm new here so first of all my apologies for raking up this long dormant topic.

While I was still an associate member of the IAM this topic came up at a group meeting when our guest speaker was talking about MIDAS minibus driver training/certification. I didn't quite get the advantages at the time but before my next drive with my observer I was practicing my corner reverses, both left and right hand.

This clarified the situation for me. When performing a right hand reverse all the reversing is done on the "wrong" side of the road which means that approaching traffic on your side of the road is coming towards the front of your vehicle not the rear. Therefore you have the best view of traffic that is closing with you on the same side of the road as you. When you cross from the right to the left side of either the main road or the side road you are moving forwards.

The additional advantage is that the kerb is closest to the driver during the reverse which should make following the curve easier although it may at first be more difficult until you get used to it.

I hope this helps.
jonquirk

Previous

Return to Advanced Driving Forum