Reversing into a Side Road on the Right

Discussion on Advanced and Defensive Driving.

Postby lyndon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm

In over 50 years of motoring, I had never encountered this manoeuvre before I read it in the Official DSA Guide to Driving page 190. When I read it, I felt uncomfortable with it, but thought I'd try it and see if I wanted to add it to my driving repertoire. It makes logical sense to me, but I was as uncomfortable doing it as I was when reading it.

Does anyone use this?
http://tinyurl.com/6tc34y9
lyndon

Postby fungus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 pm

lyndon wrote:In over 50 years of motoring, I had never encountered this manoeuvre before I read it in the Official DSA Guide to Driving page 190. When I read it, I felt uncomfortable with it, but thought I'd try it and see if I wanted to add it to my driving repertoire. It makes logical sense to me, but I was as uncomfortable doing it as I was when reading it.

Does anyone use this?

I personally don't do it, although I had to practice it for my part 2. I teach it to learners, although most find it quite strange, and although in theory it should be easier to achieve better accuracy, most find it more difficult. In fact how many drivers do you see doing a left reverse ? let alone one to the right. And when they do it's usually executed quite poorly.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby PeterE » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:00 pm

There's actually a relative's house I regularly visit where doing this would make sense (and I think I have done it a couple of times) but normally what I do is to turn down the side road and then turn round in a turning to the left about fifty or so yards down there.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:38 pm

lyndon wrote:In over 50 years of motoring, I had never encountered this manoeuvre before I read it in the Official DSA Guide to Driving page 190. When I read it, I felt uncomfortable with it, but thought I'd try it and see if I wanted to add it to my driving repertoire. It makes logical sense to me, but I was as uncomfortable doing it as I was when reading it.

Does anyone use this?

Yes I will reverse into a road on the left or right depending on the circumstances. I don't really see a problem if it is executed correctly.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Does anyone use this?

In over 54 years of motoring :P I've been aware of this manoeuvre for most of that time, ( :P again) and I have actually done it quite a few times, although I tended to miss out position 3 and reverse straight into position 4. Certainly it is easiest if there is little or no other traffic about.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 pm

This is commonly called the commercial reverse around the corner because it allows commercials to face the oncoming traffic at all times as there is a big blind spot behind
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Like others I'd never done a right reverse in 30 years until practising for my ADI P2. It does feel strange and probably gets some odd looks from other drivers but it does make sense when you haven't got a view to the rear...like most vans/lorrys. It's a compulsory manourvre for the P2 test - I think on the basis you could be instructing a van driver.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I was asked to do this manoeuvre on my first RoSPA test. The examiner suggested that rather than DSA style, I should have crossed side road while reversing such that I was ready to go on the correct side of the road when then moving off, much as Dave suggests.
jont

Postby madmoggy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:46 pm

I was taught this as part of my prep for my IAM test. I have done it a few times and didnt have a problem with it
madmoggy

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 pm

jont wrote:I was asked to do this manoeuvre on my first RoSPA test. The examiner suggested that rather than DSA style, I should have crossed side road while reversing such that I was ready to go on the correct side of the road when then moving off, much as Dave suggests.

Aah, a bit of support for poor old beleaguered Dave from a real expert. I think I'll quit while I'm (momentarily) ahead. Good night, each. :lol:

Best wishes,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:23 am

I used this when turning the minibus and trailer round, makes it much easier to keep an eye on the trailer as you back round the corner, reversing any vehicle with a trailer from the "normal" position can mean you reversing blind for some distance.

Not a problem and certainly one worth practising

Ivor
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby DugS » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:11 pm

I did it in France this year but for obvious reasons . Never thought about doing it in the UK .
1 years driving experience and 13 years of guessing....
DugS

Postby Renny » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:36 pm

As Rog and Ivor posted it is common for driving commercial vehicles with limited visibility. Also useful if there are no convenient/safe/legal opportunities to turn by more "conventional" means.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby YorkshireJumbo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Came across a gritter about to do this very manoeuvre last night to go back down the other side of a minor road - luckily I arrived as he was passing the end of the road so was able to sneak out before him.

Are gritters on minor roads employed by a particular council? The gritter did the West Yorkshire part of the road, but left the North Yorkshire stretch (past the school) ungritted
You may have speed, but I have momentum
YorkshireJumbo

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm

YorkshireJumbo wrote:Came across a gritter about to do this very manoeuvre last night to go back down the other side of a minor road - luckily I arrived as he was passing the end of the road so was able to sneak out before him.

Are gritters on minor roads employed by a particular council? The gritter did the West Yorkshire part of the road, but left the North Yorkshire stretch (past the school) ungritted

I don't know if this applies widely across the country, but I understand that in some areas local authorities arrange for the gritting of some minor roads to be done by local farmers. In the Whitby area I seem to recall this being done using tractors with a small grit/salt hopper on the back.

Mind you, I've heard they have to jump through all manner of H & S hoops to be allowed to assist in this way.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to Advanced Driving Forum